Class meets at Pizza a Casa Pizza School on NYC's historic Grand Street. You'll start by making your own dough from scratch, and then go step by step through the process of crafting the perfect pie.
Topics covered include:
- The best dough anywhere-- made by you!
- The secret of simply amazing sauce
- Stretching techniques for forming the perfect crust
- Knowing your toppings: understanding balance, order and proportions when applying them
- Fantastic fresh mozzarella from the oldest Italian cheese shop in New York City
- Top-shelf ingredients & embellishments-- for classic combos to some unexpected and unforgettable matches
- Each student makes up to 4 gourmet pizzas in class--nobody leaves hungry and authentic pizzeria to-go boxes are provided!
Dress comfortably - we'll provide aprons for all to wear - and be prepared to eat some spectacular pizza of your own creation! In addition to all the pizza you'll enjoy as it emerges fresh from the oven, you'll head home with our exclusive, full-color booklet Make Perfect Pizza at Home, more dough to go, and/or a box of pizza that YOU made to show off to your friends and family!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
The best thing ever!
|MSY4US||Sat, Oct 4 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We have been to NYC numerous of times and have never thought of doing a pizza cooking class. My daughter and I had a blast. It was so much fun. The owners were fantastic! I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for something different to do in NYC.
Enjoyed every minute. Would go again.
|cuddles732||Sat, Sep 13 12:00 PM||Female||70+||Unspecified||Group of Friends|
I really enjoyed my time there. I have already told people I know about the class. I also given them my email address so that I can get information about up coming classes. Mark, Jenny and Mike were so kind and welcoming, they made you feel you could make anything.
|Rteacher08||Mon, Sep 1 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Individual|
I truly enjoyed the ambience and mixed company. Mark the instructor was very friendly and Neil his sidekick was a doll! The different pizzas we all made in such a short time (4hrs.) were delicious and a great variety. Anyone can do this!
|Micheleasu||Sat, Aug 16 12:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Loved this class so much. I felt so comfortable in the steps, the instructor was so knowledgable, entheustiastic and so fun. I am going to be making NY pizzas at my house from now on!
Crusty good time!
|jqmcpherson||Sat, Aug 16 12:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Very informative as well as fun. Couldn't believe how fast the time went by. If visiting, attend early in visit and you will have enough pizza for snacks the rest of your visit. We learned to think out of the box for toppings for our pizzas. Best part is they do all of the prep and clean up for you!
|smrjalr||Sat, Aug 9 12:00 PM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Entertaining, informative, tasty. My daughter and I had a wonderful time.
Starts slow, but man is this awesome
|CFloden||Sat, Aug 2 12:00 PM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
Seriously, when my pizza out of the oven competes favourably with some of the best slices I have had on the streets I would call that a "win". The class starts slow, and the California character can be a tad off-putting, but Mike is a pizza ninja, and as questions flew he knew answers in a staggering detail. The class has lots of resources, and was very impressive. The resources are great, the class size is right, only be prepared to bring lots of pizza home with you! I will certainly bring friends and cannot wait to show off my pizza skills. Awesome and highly recommended.
|DianeF64||Sat, Jul 26 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
It was a lot of fun.
|ficmattang||Sat, Jul 26 12:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
At first I was hesitant, due to the price, BUT I must admit it was WELL WORTH IT! Although the class is 4 hours, it flies by quickly. Neil is very informative and his coworkers, Mike & Max, are very helpful when you are making your individual pizzas.
|reneehaas||Sun, Jul 13 12:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
My daughter and I took the class and we had the best time.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Classes have a limited capacity and often sell out. Additionally, if you are planning to book for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance before spots fill up. You can purchase tickets using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Can children of any age attend?
- While a passion for pizza knows no age, we feel that the intensive nature of our classes is best suited for pizza lovers 10 years and older. Because there is beer and wine for sale on our premises, by law children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (and both the child and the adult must have their own ticket). However, private classes for children of all ages can be arranged. Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information.
- Who will the class leaders be?
- Your class will be led by our fantastic pizza perfecters. Pizza a Casa's pizza-making classes have been praised in publications including Gothamist, Time Out NY, Food & Wine, Tasting Table and The NY Daily News-- to name just a few.
- What will we do during the 4 hours of the workshop?
- You'll start by making your own dough from scratch, then go step by step through the process of crafting the perfect pie, all the while sampling pizzas as they emerge hot from the oven. Topics covered include: secrets of the sauce, forming the perfect crust, dressing for success, and much, much more. You'll be amazed by your own talent and your favorite pizza joint will start wondering where you've gone...
- Are any drinks included as part of the ticket price? Can I bring my own?
- Beer, wine and soda are available for purchase. BYOB is not permitted.
- Are cameras or video cameras allowed?
- Photography of students with their pizza masterpieces is encouraged. Video taping is not allowed.
- Is the workshop only available in English?
- These workshops are currently only offered in English. Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information.
- Will there be a restroom available?
- Can I bring personal belongings with me? What about luggage?
- Best to bring as little as possible and a BIG appetite! We do have limited space for luggage in the event that you are arriving straight from the airport. Please note Pizza a Casa is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal items.
- What kind of pizza can we make? Can we make whatever we want?
- We'll provide a diverse list of our favorite pizza possibilities, from classic combos to some unexpected and unforgettable matches, and all the top-shelf ingredients to make them. Students are also welcome to choose from the array of toppings to create the pizza masterpiece of their dreams!
- Does weather affect the workshop at all?
- Classes will be held rain or shine.
- How many people will be in the workshop with me?
- To ensure the perfect pizza making experience and individualized attention for all, we limit our classes to 12 students.
- What if I have more than twelve people who are interested?
- Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information about Pizza a Casa possibilities for larger groups.
- How early should I arrive? Is there anywhere near the store to park?
- We recommend arriving 15 minutes prior to class time. The nearest parking lot is is two and a half blocks north of us at 107 Essex Street (between Delancey and Rivington).
- Do you sell gift certificates for these workshops?
- Yes. A Pizza a Casa gift certificate makes the perfect gift for that special pizza person in your life. To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- What other things do you offer besides the workshop?
- Our workshops are held at our retail store on NYC's historic Grand Street. The store features an expertly curated selection of home pizza making equipment and ingredients.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tickets must be used for the date and time selected.
- Pizza a Casa class sizes are kept small to maximize the attendee's experience and often sell out. Therefore, we cannot accommodate refunds, reschedules or other changes to your selected date and time. If you absolutely cannot attend the class you booked, your tickets may be used by a friend or family member. Thank you for your understanding!
Pizza a Casa Pizza School
Trip Advisor rates us in the TOP 100 Attractions in NYC
"If you do one thing in NYC, do this!"
"Great Class, good fun, don't miss this!"
"Fun way to learn to make amazing pizza at home..."
Tasting Table NY says: "If you think you need a wood-burning oven to make restaurant-quality pizza at home, then Mark Bello has something to teach you. Through his company, Pizza a Casa, Bello shows aspiring pizzaiolos how to cook perfect pies in even the shoddiest of apartment ovens."
The NY Daily News says: "Bello has mastered a recipe for dough and a method for getting his oven appropriately hot... The results are on par with what you get out of the city's better artisanal pizza shops. Better still, they can be reproduced in any kitchen."
Epicurious.com says: "I'm not just talking about learning to make pizzas at home. I'm talking about making pizzas that are better than 99.9 percent of the pizzas you'll ever have at a pizzeria or delivered to your home. And Mark Bello will teach you how to make them."
The Village Voice voted us Best Pizza 2010
"...that's why the pies that Mark Bello teaches his students to make at Pizza a Casa are such a revelation. Bello doesn't use a fancy oven (it's set at an attainable 500F), but the crusts that he conjures up are as crisp, chewy, and delicately charred as anything served at a restaurant-- and the best part is that you can easily make it at home."