Our vessels are clean, dependable, constantly maintained and operated by highly qualified personnel to ensure a safe and fun excursion.
During the White Sea Bass trip, you will enjoy:
- An opportunity to catch Some Large White Sea Bass
- An interesting and Different fishery... VERY LIMITED Number of Anglers!
- A delicious meal that you can prepare that is not like any other
- Assistance from highly qualified crew members
- A trip to the best Bass fishing spots in Monterey Bay
So climb aboard and experience an adventure that will leave you with wonderful memories and exciting tales!
What Is Not Included?
Please note that anyone 16 years of age or older (and who is fishing on the trip) is required to have a fishing license in their possession before getting on the boat. If you do not have one, we have one-day licenses and annual licenses available in the shop that can be purchased prior to departure.
- What has the catch been like lately?
- LAST UPDATED: 09/04/10: A Few Sea Bass are being Caught - Please Check with us regarding any future updates- Need the latest details? Click on "Contact this seller" and we will tell you the latest - good, bad or indifferent we will honestly tell you what has been happening - no fish tales!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance.
- What happens if it rains?
- We still go out. The fish and whales are wet. The rain is of no consequence; we are concerned with wind and sea conditions and they are not necessarily bad during the rain. In fact, some of our best conditions can be on a rainy day, so dress appropriately. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event
- What type of boat do we go out on?
- This is one of our biggest questions. We have two boats: one is 55 feet long and the other is 60 feet long. On the central west coast of California we call them Party Boats. You might know them better as Charter Boats. Both boats have two restrooms, an indoor cabin with seating, and plenty of deck space on which you can walk around or sit.
- Do I need a fishing license?
- Yes. Anyone 16 years of age or older (and who is fishing on the trip) is REQUIRED to have a fishing license. It must be in your possession before getting on the boat. If you do not have one, one-day and annual licenses are available for purchase in the shop prior to departure. The price of a one-day license is $13. Riders who are not fishing do not need a license.
- What's the limit for a child under 16 with no fishing license?
- Even though children under 16 years of age are allowed to fish on our trips without a license, they are allowed the same legal limit as an adult fisherman.
- I have never been fishing before. Is that okay?
- Oh sure, nothing like a new experience! Our crew will assist you and, often times, some of the ‘seasoned’ veterans are willing to offer advice.
- Can you provide me with fishing gear, bait, and tackle?
- Yes, all fishing equipment is available for rent/purchase, either online or from the shop just prior to the trip's departure. A complete set of gear for the day will cost $30 per fisherman. Live bait, if available will be $5 per person. Fish cleaning is also available for $5 per fish. Be sure to check-in at least 30 minutes to allow plenty of time to get situated for an on-time departure.
- My companion/spouse is fishing - can I ride along?
- Yes, ‘Riders’ are charged a nominal fee and are not entitled to take a limit of fish at any time. Note that while we may see a passing whale or dolphin, the trip is focused on fishing any other ocean wildlife spotted is merely a bonus. On many trips, no wildlife will be seen. If your companion/spouse/kids are more interested in seeing the wildlife instead of catching fish, have them check out our whale watching trips that run all year round.
- What is the difference between a Regular and a Rider ticket?
- Each Regular, which includes Adult and Child, ticket-holder is entitled to one limit of fish, whereas Riders cannot catch any fish. Anyone without a fishing license, regardless of the type of ticket they buy, will NOT be allowed to hold a fishing pole at any time. For example, if your child is purchasing a Regular ticket and you are only attending as a Rider, you will not be able to hold your child's fishing pole unless you have a valid fishing license in your name. If you do, you can help out, but you and your child will still only be allowed one limit of fish between the two of you. If you purchase a rider ticket and don't have any intention on fishing or even helping, you do not need a license.
- Are children allowed?
- Yes! Children ages 5 and older are allowed on board and they will ENJOY it just as much as an adult will. However, due to safety concerns, children younger than 5 are not allowed on the fishing trips. All children under the age of 6 must wear a life jacket at all times during the trip.
- Is my child too young to go fishing?
- It depends on the child. You know your child best. Age 5-6 maybe a good age to get a child oriented with this traditional sport. We do recommend starting out on a “Rock Cod” Fishing Trip as it is very likely that a child will catch something. There is nothing more pleasurable than to see a child that feels good about accomplishing a special task. We also recommend that you bring extra things for the child to do – such as a coloring book or game boy or favorite book. Each child has a different attention span. They may fish a bit, then play, then fish again. This will help alleviate boredom.
- Can I bring food and beverages?
- Yes, you may bring whatever food and beverages, including beer, you would like to have. However, you may not bring hard alcohol on board. We ask that beverages be in cans or plastic bottles, as glass can be a real hazard aboard a boat.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- A small one for your food and beverages. We ask that large ones be left at the dock, so as to not deprive yourself or everyone else of space.
- Do you guarantee that fish will be caught?
- We can guarantee ‘Fishing’ but not ‘Catching’. The Skipper will do everything in his power to put you were there is fish. We can not control what does or does not bite the hook.
- How many fish can I keep?
- Depends on what we are fishing for - if we are fishing for sea bass, we can only keep 3 legal size sea bass, etc. It is imperative that all regulations as governed by the DFG and PFMC be followed at all times. The Crew members will remind each individual. DFG are constantly patrolling the area, whether it is on the water or on land. It is not worth the risk. The fines can be a substantial amount.
- What do I do with the fish I have caught?
- We recommend that you have the deckhand clean/fillet them - so much easier than having this mess at home. Fish scales migrate all over the house and never go away. He'll do this for $5 per fish, gratuities are also greatly appreciated.
- Am I allowed to clean my own fish at the end of the trip?
- Unfortunately, no. Due to safety concerns and liability issues it cannot be permitted. If you would like your fish cleaned at the end of the trip, please allow the deckhand to do it for you. (Price varies by fishery.) If you want to clean your own fish, you will have to pack them up and take them home before doing so. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- I am from another state. How do I get the fish home?
- We recommend that you have the fish cleaned/filleted then freeze them in meal size portions (we can keep them here at no extra charge), put in a styrofoam ice chest and check it through with your baggage. The cargo hold in the aircraft is very cold, so it should stay frozen til you get home. As a precaution it is also best to check with the airline carrier to find out the specifics regarding the extra baggage. Another option is to take it to the local UPS store and have them ship it overnight to your residence. This can be costly though.
- I do not want to keep the fish I catch, can I throw them back?
- This is not a good idea as most fish will die, so it is better to give them to someone else on the boat that has not caught their limit of fish.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there is a full compliment of jackets for adults and children aboard. Location of jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- Adults are not required to wear jackets, however a child under the age of 6 must wear a jacket at all times. Additionally, we highly recommend that if the skipper or deckhand has put a jacket on, then you might want get one on real fast!
- Are your boats safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there restrooms on board?
- Yes, all of our vessels have a clean bathroom for your convenience.
- Where do you go?
- Wherever the Skipper chooses. He takes many things into consideration when he starts the day. He will start in one spot, if it is not working out he will move to another spot.
- Are your boats wheelchair-accessible?
- Unfortunately, no. Our boats depart from a low dock that can only be accessed via a flight of stairs. If you are in a wheelchair and have people accompanying you who could carry you down the stairs and onto the boat, you are welcome on the boat with your wheelchair. Otherwise, we apologize that we cannot accommodate you.
- Will we see whales or dolphins while we are fishing?
- Maybe. Should the whales pass by, then great! You got a bonus for the day. If they do not, then please do not be disappointed as the original objective is to go fishing.
- Can I bring my dog or other small pet on board the boat?
- Unfortunately, pets are not allowed on board our fishing trips.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Randy's Fishing Trips are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact RandysTrips" link.
- Can I book a private fishing trip?
- Yes! Randy's Fishing can accommodate a variety of special requests. Click on the "Contact RandysTrips" link for more information on private trips.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must be at least 5 years old.
- Due to safety concerns, passengers younger than 5 are not allowed on the fishing trips.
- Participants must have a fishing license before getting on the boat.
- All participants 16 years of age or older are required to have a fishing license in their possession before getting on the boat. Licenses can be purchased in our shop prior to departure.
- Participants Must have a Rod, Tackle and Burlap Sack to fish on the trip.
- Participants fishing on the trip must have a rod, tackle, and burlap sack suitable for this fishing trip, which are not included in the regular price of the trip. If you do not have your own, you can rent a rod , as well as purchase tackle and a burlap sack at our shop just prior to departure.
Randy's Fishing and Whale Watching Trips
Our captains have been examined, certified competent and issued a Masters License by the United States Coast Guard and have been operating vessels to carry ‘Passengers for Hire’ throughout the course of the last 20+ years.
Their expertise and ability to operate a vessel is exceptional.