If you're looking to have a great time with a group of friends, this six to seven person cruise is for you. (For groups of 5 or less, please see our "Sunset Dinner" or "Brunch" cruises by clicking on "List of All Activities" to the left.)
Your cruise will take place on two drift boats, gliding silently side-by-side (a two-person vessel alongside a five-person one). The canopy on each boat can be raised for privacy or removed to share the fun and fellowship across both boats, as you listen to a variety of our tunes, or bring your own CDs!
You’ll take in all the natural beauty of Redding's Sacramento River, as you enjoy:
- A PRIVATE cruise for you and your party
- A delicious meal served right on board, either dinner or brunch
- Rich chocolates for dessert
- See wildlife such as geese, otters, and ducks
- A photograph to commemorate your trip
To purchase tickets for this cruise, you must first coordinate the availability of both boats with River Romance Cruises. Please click on the "Contact RiverRomance" link, on the upper left of this page.
What Is Not Included?
- How do I purchase tickets for this cruise?
- In order to accommodate 6 or 7 guests, we use two gondola-style drift boats - one that holds 2 people and another that holds 5 people. Since both boats need to be available for this cruise, please click on the "Contact RiverRomance" link to make the necessary arrangements for you and your party.
- How does the group cruise work?
- We'll board the two boats at our launch point. Both boats will depart together and your two oarsmen will expertly guide you as a group down the river. Meals for each boat will be prepared and served by that boat's respective oarsman. In the case of dinner, when the boats anchor for the meal, they will be positioned next to each other, while the music continues to play. With the boat canopies removed, there'll be plenty of interaction between the groups on the two boats.
- What if we're together, but want to be separate?
- If you're a set of parents coming along to supervise a group of young adults, you're welcome to ride in our two-person gondola-style drift boats, with the canopy up for privacy. The oarsmen can accommodate your wish to be close enough to keep an eye on things without being too close to hinder their fun or your opportunity for a romantic cruise of your own!
- Will there be other people on the tour with us?
- No! All tours are completely private, so only those passengers in your party will be on board.
- Can I bring my own wine or champagne?
- Yes! We do not provide you with beverages so please bring whatever you would like to enjoy with you - water, juice, soda, beer or wine. You're also welcome to bring a bottle of champagne. (Corkscrew, bottle openers, an ice bucket, and stemmed glassware are available for your use on the boat.) You can also purchase cold beer, wine, and champagne, as well as soft drinks at the nearby Turtle Bay Shell, located at 1801 Park Marina Drive right before the start time of your cruise.
- What is the difference between a drift boat and a gondola?
- Because the Sacramento River, in the Redding area, is too shallow to allow gondolas, we use drift boats to provide the same peaceful experience. Our boats do not use motors so your cruise has a similar, quiet ambiance to a gondola ride.
- Can children come on a cruise?
- Typically, because our past guests have found that their experience is diminished if they bring children under 2 years of age, we encourage you to make other arrangements for them during your cruise. Life jackets are provided for and must be worn by all children for the duration of the cruise. All guests, children included, must purchase a ticket.
- How should we dress?
- We suggest you wear comfortable, casual clothes with a light jacket. You may also want to bring sunglasses. The temperature on the water is about 10 - 15 degrees cooler than the air temperature in Redding. A down throw is available on-board if needed or you can just cuddle more!
- Are the boats handicapped accessible?
- We have yet to deny any person with a handicap access to our boat. The boarding dock has a ramp and, if you have some mobility, we will gladly assist you into the boat. Wheelchairs cannot be accommodated on the boat.
- Are there rest rooms on the boats?
- No, but there are bathrooms available both when you get on and off the boat. If you should need to pull over, our oarsmen know a few private places along the way.
- Can I bring a fishing rod?
- Our cruises are designed to be a social experience with your friends and loved ones, so we ask you to save your fishing apparatus for later. There are plenty of fishing spots in the area that you can visit before or after the cruise. Just ask your oarsman for a few tips!
- Can I bring anything (eg, a cooler) onto the boat?
- You are able to bring a smaller cooler on the boats, but we also have ice buckets for your beverages. There is some limited space on the boats where you may store your belongings, but please try to keep the amount of items you bring on the boats to a minimum.
- How far away are you from...?
- Sacramento: 2.5 hours. San Francisco: 3 hours 15 minutes. San Jose: 3 hours 45 minutes. Reno: 3 hours 40 minutes.
- Do we get off the boat at any time?
- No, you are inside of the boat for the entirety of your cruise.
- What happens if it rains?
- We watch the weather forecasts closely and want to ensure your cruise is a safe, enjoyable, memorable experience. In the event the current or forecasted conditions get in the way of that happening, we will contact you as soon as possible to join us at another date/time.
- Can I add special items to our cruise?
- If you would like to add items such as flowers, chocolates, etc, we will try to accommodate you as well as we can! Just coordinate with River Romance when you call to arrange this group cruise and ask about additional items or special arrangements for surprises.
- Are the boats safe?
- Each of our oarsmen is experienced in navigating the Sacramento River safely and confidently. Ther water is not fast moving and there are life jackets for each person on board.
- Am I likely to get seasick?
- Our boats are steady and gentle. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Do you sell gift certificates?
- Yes! A gift certificate makes a very special gift for Valentine's Day, birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, corporate gifts and just about any special occasion. Please contact River Romance Cruises for more details by clicking the "Contact RiverRomance" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to inclement weather.
- In the event of rain or high winds, the seller may need to cancel the cruise up to an hour before the start time. While cancellations are rare, in the event it occurs, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
River Romance Cruises
Accompanied by a skilled oarsman, each guest is treated to a luxurious experience unlike any other. Only a drift boat can explore these parts of the river while providing the quiet ambiance in complete comfort and privacy.
River Romance Cruises is dedicated to complete customer satisfaction and accommodating your party's individual needs. Everything from the music to the food to the scenery along the way has been carefully chosen through years of experience.
Relax and explore California’s natural beauty along with a delicious gourmet meal!