Board our 43' Happy Cat and embark on an adventure that will bring you back in time. Visit historic Indian Key and watch it come alive by walking through the town center, sandy streets and climbing the obvservation tower. In 1836, Indian Key became the first country seat for Dade County, at that time, this tiny island was the site of a lucrative business, salvaging cargo from shipwrecks in the Florida Keys.
Hop back aboard the Happy Cat and just a short ride away is Lignumvitae Botantical State Park. Visiting the Matheson House on Lignumvitae is like stepping back in time. The house was built in 1919 and reflects how island people lived during a simple time when most of their needs were met by the land and sea around them.
After your three hour tour at both of our beautiful state parks we will bring you back to the dock at Robbie's.
Check out our many excursions and charters out of Robbie's of Islamorada!
What Is Not Included?
You may bring your own personal ice chest or cooler. We have drinks on board for purchase so that you can just jump on board and let us do all the leg work!
- During the Island Heritage Tours, where do you visit?
- Aboard the Happy Cat, you will venture over to Indian Key State Park for about an hour self-guided tour and then just a short ride away is Lignumvitae Bontanical State Park where you will be guided by a park ranger for an hour and 15 minute tour.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. However, feel free to "walk up" at anytime as we accept cash at the counter if there is still space available on the trip you're interested in.
- What happens if it rains?
- We still go out. We are primarily concerned with wind and sea conditions and they are not necessarily bad during the rain. If it is raining, please dress appropriately and consider bringing a poncho if you can. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Are children allowed?
- We love children! Children 12 years of age and under have a reduced price ticket and children 5 and under are free. If you are concerned about the seas or rocking of the boat for children ages 2 and under, please click on the "Contact Robbies" link to check boat availability and weather forecast.
- Are pets allowed?
- We love pets here at Robbie's ~ unfortunately pets are not allowed unless you book the boat privately for your group.
- Is the trip suitable for pregnant women?
- Pregnant women shouldn't have a problem, as we are lucky enough to have calm waters most of the time here in the Florida Keys. Please note that it is up to the individual and their symptoms at the time whether they will be comfortable on the boat and at sea for the activity, and you should consult your doctor if you have any questions.
- How far will the boat go out?
- The Happy Cat will venture out about only one to two miles from shore to visit Indian Key State Park and Lignumvitae Botanitcal State Park.
- What types of food and beverages are available?
- We have soda, water, Gatorade, and chips for $ 1.00 ~ Beer is only $ 2.00!
- What do I need to bring?
- A camera, sunscreen, and a hat .
- What is not allowed on the boat?
- Please do not bring any glass bottles or containers on board the boat. Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and illegal substances are also not allowed.
- May I bring alcohol on board?
- Sure, you may bring beer or wine coolers, but liquor is not allowed on board. No glass bottles or containers are allowed either. If you do not want to lug around a cooler, the Captain has beer, water, and soda available for purchase.
- Should I tip the crew?
- Your mates work very hard to make your trip as enjoyable as possible. Tips are highly appreciated! Most people tip 20% of their trip's ticket cost.
- Can I bring an ice chest or cooler?
- You may bring your own personal ice chest or cooler. We have drinks on board for purchase so that you can just jump on board and let us do all the leg work!
- Are there life jackets on board? Do I have to wear one?
- Our boat is US Coast Guard certified and has life jackets on board for every passenger. However, you are not required to wear a life jacket during the trip.
- Is smoking allowed on the boat?
- Smoking is not allowed inside the cabin, but it is allowed on the outside deck areas.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- We are able to accommodate wheelchairs, but need advance notice to set up a special ramp that will enable a wheelchair to board the boat easily. Please click on the "Contact Robbies" link to inquire about arranging wheelchair accommodations. Keep in mind that the bathroom on board is not wheelchair accessible and a handicapped passenger will most likely need assistance to use the bathroom.
- Is there shade on board?
- Yes, the Happy Cat has a cabin that you can go to to escape from the elements.
- Is there parking close to the meeting location?
- Yes! We have free parking at our marina - you should have no problem finding a space when you arrive.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Please click on the "Contact Robbies" link to ask for more information on gift certificates.
Robbie's of Islamorada
When you return from your time on the water, visit our restaurant, the Hungry Tarpon for a delicious Keys-style meal! Or check out the new Fly ~ By Shops filled with Florida Keys' beautiful artwork and unique little treasures.
You're likely to find yourself in a rocking chair on our palm frond-covered deck sipping a cold beverage and discussing tides, favorite fishing holes or even politics with any or several of the old timers who come here often just because Robbie's takes them back to a simpler time.