While taking short walks through these historic neighborhoods you can do some shopping and have the chance to learn interesting stories and facts behind the culture and history of the ‘soul’ of New York City.
During your tour you will:
- See the World Famous Apollo Theater “Where Stars are Born and Legends are Made”™
- Shop in cultural stores and The Malcolm Shabazz Market.
- Complimentary free tour of the Museum of the Contemporary African Diaspora, Brooklyn (Mocada)
- See the famous Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan skyline and much more!
What Is Not Included?
- What does Roots and Culture Mean?
- We are called Roots and Culture Tours NYC because when you take one of our tours, you will discover one of the many roots of New York City; the contribution of its diverse communities and their cultures, which keep the city alive and vibrant.
- What do we mean by the 'Soul' of New York City?
- The word ‘soul’ refers to arts and culture created by African Americans. These were also influenced by other black cultures such as those of the Caribbean and Africa, and are an intricate part of the African American identity. In the mid-1960s, when the Civil Rights Movement was just beginning, "soul" was a common adjective used to describe African American culture. For example, soul music arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a funky, secular form. Soul food was the traditional cuisine of African Americans of the Southern United States and of black communities beyond, and thus the name "soul food" stuck!
- Is the tour suitable for students?
- Yes. We have a special ticket class for college-level students. Please bring your student ID or college library card as proof of your current student status.
- Are the tours suitable for children?
- The tours are suitable for children and children have a reduced ticket price (even infants must have a child ticket). Although the children may not understand all the content, there are many interactive parts to the tour where they can view artwork and cultural and historical sites. Since there are a number of stops along the way, we suggest that parents bring a carrier or pram for babies or toddlers! All children 13 years of age and under must be escorted by an adult.
- Can I pay in cash?
- No. Due to the preparations that are made for the tour, you are required to purchase in advance.
- If the tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- No. Roots and Culture Tours are available on a first come, first served basis. We encourage you to book early to avoid disappointment!
- Is videotaping allowed on the tour?
- While photography is allowed, filming or audio-taping is prohibited while on the tour.
- Is there any walking involved?
- Yes, there are several stops throughout the tour where you have the opportunity to leave the bus with your tour guide and see tour locations and visit cultural organizations, museums, markets and shops. Each of these stops has minimal walking involved.
- Who are the tour guides?
- All Roots and Culture tour guides are licensed by the City of New York and hold a New York Sightseeing License. They all have a passion for the diverse cultures of the Big Apple and are a vivid part of the community!
- Can I bring food and drink on the tour?
- Yes you can! However there are three stops on the tour where food and drink are prohibited. Our Tour Guide will inform you when you must leave these items on the bus.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour will end at the same location it began. Details will be provided upon purchasing tickets!
- Is the tour wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- We can certainly accommodate strollers on the tour, however, due to the nature of the locations visited, wheelchairs are not recommended on the tour. If you have a unique situation that we might be able to accommodate, click on the "Contact this seller" link and let us know.
- Are tours only offered in English?
- Yes, tours are currently offered in English only.
- Can I bring a pet?
- Sorry, no pets allowed.
- What does this tour have to offer if you live in New York?
- For tourists and locals alike, this tour will give you a unique and fun perspective on the arts, culture and history of the black communities in New York City. We promise you will learn lots of new things on our tour!
- Do you sell gift certificates?
- No, we currently do not sell gift certificates for the tour.
- Are there any group discounts?
- No, group discounts are not currently available.
- Do you do private tours?
- All tours are available for private bookings. Private tours can be scheduled morning, afternoon or evening and we can pick up your group from a hotel. For more information, or to schedule a private tour, please click on the "Contact this seller" link and let us know what you're interested in.
Roots and Culture Tours NYC
Rather than replicating existing tours, Roots and Culture Tours NYC offers visitors to the Big Apple tours of multi-ethnic and historical neighborhoods that include free visits to various cultural and historical venues, shopping and food tasting, and more!
Every person who books a tour will experience the many dimensions of the cultures in New York.