Enjoy a scenic cruise of San Francisco’s beautiful coastline and the fantastic wildlife of the Bay Area. Each trip is a unique experience - don't miss the boat!
Possible highlights include:
- Whale sightings (year round)
- June thru November: Blue Whales and Humpback Whales
- December thru May: Gray Whales and Sperm Whales
- Elephant seals, dolphin, porpoises and abundant sea bird colonies
- Views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Farallon Islands, and gorgeous shorelines
- Views of Fort Cronkite, Muir Beach, Stinson Beach, Bolinas, Double Point, the Point Reyes National Seashore and Lighthouse
Pack some grub, grab a camera, and enjoy the trip of a lifetime on the adventurous Pacific Ocean.
**NO WHALE SIGHTING, THE NEXT TRIP IS ON US!**
Please note if you have concerns about sea sickness please take precaution before the tour.
What Is Not Included?
- What kind of whales and marine life have been sighted recently?
- Yes! We are seeing whales! ---Join us in the winter months to catch Gray and Humpback whale sightings. October starts our Great White Shark season! Get on the boat! Like us on Facebook for daily sightings reports and exclusive offers! Other marine life include large pods of Risso dolphin and white sided pacific dolphin, numbers as high as 30 in a pod. Marine birds include the tufted puffin a pelagic sea bird and the sooty shearwater, which migrates across the entire Pacific ocean to feed off our shores. Join us on board!
- -------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETS/POLICIES-------------------------
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What if I want tickets for a trip in the future not listed?
- If the date you are looking for is further along than our schedule shows, please click on the "Contact SFWhaleTours" link to request a tour on a specific day.
- What happens in the event of bad weather?
- Trips will continue rain or shine. In the case of severe weather, you will be notified of cancellation and will be allowed to reschedule to another time depending upon availability.
- Are children allowed?
- Children under 3 years of age are not allowed to attend the cruise for safety reasons. Children between the ages of 3 and 15 have a reduced price ticket and are more than welcome to come along!
- Is the cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- Pregnant women should consult with their doctors before participating in any active activities. For safety reasons, we do not recommend that pregnant women attend. If you have any questions, please click on the "Contact SFWhaleTours" link to discuss further.
- Do your trips depart on time?
- Yes! We kindly ask that you arrive 30 minutes early for check-in. Don't miss the boat!
- How far are you from the major airports?
- We are approximately 30 minutes from San Francisco and Oakland airports depending on traffic.
- -------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT WHALE WATCHING----------------------
- Do you guarantee whale sightings on every trip?
- Yes! If you don't see a whale on the San Francisco Whale Watching Wildlife Eco-Tour, your next trip is on us.
- What kind of whales will I see?
- We have seen Grey, Blue, and Humpback whales throughout the year depending on the season. See our sightings report for the most recent sightings.
- How close up can we view whales?
- We will stop 300 ft. from the whales and let them come to us, following federal whale watching guidelines. We do not touch, swim with, or feed the wildlife.
- What happens if I don't see a whale or any dolphins during my trip?
- We will try our best to make sure you have a great experience on board with us, but we cannot control where the whales are at any given time. If you don't see any whales or dolphins during your trip, we kindly invite you to come back again for another trip!
- What other marine life should I expect to see?
- The other marine and wildlife include: Western Gull, Brandt's Cormorant, Pelagic Cormorant, Double-crested Cormorant, Pigeon Guillemot, Common Murre, Cassin's Auklet, Tufted Puffin, Black Oystercatcher, Rhinoceros Auklet, Ashy Storm-petrel, Leach's Storm Petrel, Northern Elephant Seal, Harbor Seal, Steller's Sea Lion, California Sea Lion, Northern Fur Seal, Dall's Porpoise, Risso's Dolphin, Northern Right Whale Dolphin, Orca, and White Sharks.
- How far do we have to travel to view whales?
- We should be able to see whales once we get beyond the Golden Gate Bridge and out to the ocean! We may travel up to fifty miles see whales and marine wildlife.
- Where do the trips end?
- The trips end at the same dock which they departed from.
- What is the difference between this tour and the All Day Farallon Islands Natural History Excursion?
- The San Francisco Whale Watching Wildlife Eco-Tour concentrates on whale watching in the the Gulf of the Farallons, not the Islands in particular.Our main attention is given to sightings of Marine wildlife. The Vessel may travel to various locations to see whales,marine wildlife.
- How Long will the trip last ?
- The Trips lasted between 4 & 5 hours depending on sightings and weather.
- --------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT--------------------------
- Which boat will I be on?
- Most of our expeditions take place on our premiere, deluxe, high-speed catamaran "Kitty Kat". The 65 foot Kitty Kat has a unique hull shape and hydrofoil system that give it superior advantage over monohulls and increase lift. Kitty Kat can travel smoothly on any type of sea! Although most trips will take place on board this modern vessel, we do reserve the right to use our equally great boat "Happy Days" if business warrants it. Happy Days is a 43 foot Delta Marine vessel with indoor and outdoor seating, a heated cabin, and clean restroom. Both boats will prove a great ride!
- Will I get seasick?
- If you normally get motion sickness, then there are a few great remedies out there to try. Please be prepared and take preventative measures after consulting with a doctor. Fortunately, however, we have one of the best boats out there with the most modern technology incorporated into its design that helps make every trip a smooth ride.
- Are there restrooms on the boat?
- Yes, both boats are equipped with clean restrooms for your convenience.
- Are the boats safe?
- Safety is our number one priority! Our boats meet the current United States Coast guard regulations, and our experienced captain and crew make every effort to ensure a fun and safe adventure.
- Are your boats handicapped accessible?
- Unfortunately, there are 4 steps you must take to board the boat, but if you are mobile enough our crew would be glad to assist you onto the boat with the best of their ability. The bathrooms on board are not wheelchair accessible but can be used by a passenger with limited mobility. If you'd like to make a request for any special accommodations, please click on the "Contact SFWhaleTours" link.
- Can I smoke on the boat?
- No, smoking is not permitted on board.
- -----------------------------WHAT SHOULD I BRING-------------------------------
- Can I bring my own food and beverages on board?
- Yes! Please feel free to bring your own food or non-alcoholic beverages on board. Beer and wine are allowed on board, but hard alcohol is not.
- Can I bring alcohol on the cruise?
- You may bring beer or wine on the trip, but nothing with a higher alcohol content. Hard liquor is not allowed on board.
- How should I dress?
- Dress warm and in layers. Waterproof jackets are great and comfortable, sturdy shoes are a must.
- Do you offer SFWhaleTours merchandise?
- Yes, please click on the "Contact SFWhaleTours" link for more information and merchandise will be provided on board for purchase.
- -------------------PRIVATE CHARTERS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES------------
- Can I purchase a gift certificate?
- Yes, gift certificates make a great gift for any occasion! If you are interested in purchasing a gift certificate, please click “Contact SFWhaleTours” and include the following information: how many tickets you want the gift certificate to be good for, the mailing address you want them sent to, and your phone number so that San Francisco Whale Tours can contact you to process the gift certificate. Thanks!
- Do you have translators for non-English speaking people?
- Trips are narrated in English, but the scenery is enough to take in even if English isn't your first language. Click on the "Contact SFWhaleTours" link for private trips if you would like to have a translated trip and we will try to accommodate you.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes, we do offer private charters. To inquire further, please click on the "Contact SFWhaleTours" link for more information.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- The cruise is not suitable for children under 3.
- For safety reasons, children under 3 years of age should not attend.
San Francisco Whale Tours
SF Whale Tours features a 65' Catamaran, the Kitty Kat, whose unique hull design and superior engineering bring you the smoothest ride on the Bay. Equipped with hydrofoil wings that increase lift, the Kitty Kat is the most advanced vessel for wildlife expeditions, and features a heated cabin, spacious sun deck, and high speeds!