On this tour you will learn about Savannah's rich history from someone who knows it best, a Savannah local. Have you ever wondered:
- Why does a Pink House adorn the Historic District?
- How did the ladies of Savannah annoy General William T. Sherman - and get away with it?
- What's the connection between the song Moon River and the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?
The tour will visit all of Savannah's most famous squares, as well as a visit inside the historic Andrew Low House, one of Savannah's most luxurious mansions!
Join us for an in-depth look at one of the South's most interesting cities!
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Is the tour suitable for children? What type of ticket should I purchase for a very young child?
- While children are welcome on the tour, please keep in mind that tours are 1.5-hours long and we walk approximately 1.5 miles. Parents, who know their children best, should assess whether a 1.5-hour walking tour is appropriate for their own child’s attention span and stamina. All children 5 years and older are required to have a ticket. Children under 4 can attend free of charge, but please let us know if you plan to bring children when purchasing your tickets.
- How much walking is involved and what is the pace?
- The tour covers approximately 1.5 miles over a 1.5 hour period. We walk at a moderate pace and stop frequently to discuss interesting points along the way. We do recommend wearing comfortable walking shoes. Keep in mind that you are on your feet for the full 90 minutes.
- Where does the tour take place?
- This tour takes place in the Historic District and we'll introduce you to some of the history and culture of a few of the original squares.
- Do we go inside any buildings?
- Yes, the tour includes a visit to the historic Andrew Low House, one of Savannah's most magnificent mansions!
- Does the tour start and end at the same place?
- The tour ends at Monterey Square, a few blocks away from the starting location. Your tour guide will be more than happy to give directions or point you in the right direction for your next destination.
- What about inclement weather?
- Tours will run rain or shine. We ask that you check the weather forecast and dress accordingly if inclement weather is predicted.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- No, there are no bathroom stops, so please plan accordingly.
- Will locals enjoy the tour as well or is it mostly for tourists?
- Absolutely! While you may be familiar with our route and some of the stops, you will also have the opportunity to discover new things about our wonderful Hostess City. You may be surprised at how much you will learn.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, at the moment we can only offer tours in English, but you are welcome to arrange for an interpreter. Please note that if you are accompanied by an interpreter, they will need a full priced ticket.
- Is there anywhere to buy food or drinks along the way? Can I bring my own?
- Sure! While no food or drinks are included in the ticket price, feel free to pack light snacks and drinks.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes, cameras are permitted and we encourage you to take photos!
- Does the tour guide accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are not included in the ticket price. While not required, gratuities are accepted and always appreciated by the tour guides.
- Is the tour wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- Unfortunately we do not recommend the tour for those with wheelchairs or strollers as there are some stairs and narrow pathways involved along the tour.
- Is there public parking available nearby?
- There are a number parking garages nearby. Metered street parking is also available but limited. Please read all signs when looking for street parking to avoid getting ticketed. Specific parking and public transportation directions will be included in the meeting location details after purchasing tickets.
- Can we shop during the tour?
- While we will be pointing out some local hotspots for shopping, we ask that you refrain from shopping during the tour. It is important that we stay on schedule, so be sure to take note of the shops you would like to revisit after the tour ends.
- Are dogs/pets allowed on the tour?
- Yes, well behaved pets are welcome as long as they remain on a leash throughout the tour. However, dogs are not allowed inside the Andrew Low House, so during this portion of the tour they can wait outside in the shade.
- Is smoking allowed on the tour?
- No, smoking is not permitted on the tour.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase and make great gifts for family and friends. If you have any questions about purchasing or redeeming gift certificates, please click on the “Contact SMMTours” link on the left side of this page.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes, private tours are available. To inquire about booking a private tour, please click on the “Contact SMMTours” link on the left of this page.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation the seller must cancel the event prior to departure, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a full refund.
- Tax & Preservation Fee are included in the total ticket price.
- Please note that the 10.5% tax rate includes both Georgia Sales Tax and the City of Savannah Preservation Fee.
Savannah Movie Tours and More
Our luxury climate-controlled, twenty-four passenger minibuses give Savannah visitors a more comfortable and personalized experience, while our professional tour guides will entertain and enlighten you with stories and information about our beautiful ‘Hostess City.’
All the tours that “Hollywood” Ron made famous: The Savannah Movie Tour, The Riding and Walking Foody Tours, The Riding and Walking Scary Ghost Tours, and the Martini Tour can still be found on this site, as well as some new tours; The Walking History Tour and The Civil War Tour that were created especially with our visitors in mind.