Today, we celebrate it with the firing of the canon at 1:00pm to start the race and it's off on a one-way race from the Pier House in the harbor to Sand Key Reef! Enjoy the excitement aboard Schooner America 2.0 under the sunny sky of Key West as you race for victory! The boat that gets there first, "wins"!
Then relax and sail back to the dock where there is an award ceremony at the Schooner Wharf Bar for the first, second, and third place winners.
Highlights along the way:
- Complimentary Beer, Wine, Champagne and Soft Drinks
- The famed Sand Key Reef, Mallory Square, and Sunset Pier.
- Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife: dolphins, sea turtles, and waterbirds.
- A waterside view of Fort Zachary Taylor.
- A gourmet Sandwich from a local Key West Cafe!
Special Note: The boat will depart at 12:30 pm but the race officially begins at 1 pm.
What Is Not Included?
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails do sell out. Potential guests are encouraged to check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a waitlist for our sails, so please book in advance. Or you can check to see if there is availability on the Schooner Adirondack III!
- Can you accommodate allergies/dietary restrictions?
- Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate allergies or dietary restrictions. Please let us know of any potential life threatening issues in the "Message to Seller" area when you purchase your tickets.
- What's for lunch?
- Lunch includes a variety of sandwiches and drinks are just $1.00 each!
- Is there parking, where? And how much is it?
- Parking in Key West may be somewhat limited. There is a local municipal parking lot at the corner of Caroline Street and Margaret Street, very close to our ticket booth where you check in! Further information will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- For children ages 12 and under you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. All passengers, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- Our route is indicative of the of the breeze we are given, but guaranteed crystal blue seas and a water side view of Fort Zachary Taylor are a given. Additional sites include Sand Key Reef, Mallory Square, Sunset Pier, marine wild life, and fellow schooners within the Wreckers Race Fleet!
- Is food served during the sails?
- A gourmet sandwich from a local deli will be provided!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. Our Wreckers Race Sail complimentary beer, wine, & Champagne. (One quick note: This is not a booze-cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Is the Schooner America 2.0 safe?
- Absolutely. While known for its speed, the Schooner America 2.0 is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of three crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets should you feel you need one. There are also private marine heads (bathrooms) and salons below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with two bathrooms that are accessible at all times. We call them "marine heads" and they are unlike the bathroom you use at home. The Captain will give you directions in the safety speech.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my luggage) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior sails.
- What should I wear?
- For any of our sails we recommend wearing comfortable clothing and footwear (high heels are not recommended). Feel free to come in light, casual clothing, but bring a light jacket just in case the breeze is strong!
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same dock from which they departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), take a full refund or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower we have ankle-length button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the America 2.0.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. It is customary to reward your hosts with cash tips following the trip.
- Is the schooner wheelchair accessible?
- No, unfortunately the schooner is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the Schooner America 2.0 can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking the "Contact SailKeyWest" link.
- Can I get married aboard America 2.0 in Key West?
- Yes. Two of our operators in Key West are capable of performing marriage ceremonies aboard the America 2.0. For further details and arrangements, please click on the "Contact SailKeyWest" link.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- No, unfortunately there are no gift certificates available for this particular sail. There are, however, gift certificates available for our regular Daytime and Sunset Sails, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please check out the Daytime and Sunset Sails by clicking on the “List of All Activities” link on the left-hand side of this page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a full refund.
Classic Harbor Line
This 80-foot wooden gaff-rigged sail boat and 105-foot, 1800s vessel are captained by US Coast Guard certified captains and only the most professional and courteous crew you will ever meet. Adirondack III and the America 2.0 are truly the diamonds shining amongst the Key West Schooner Fleet. They are a close cousin to Key West's former pride, Schooner America. Guests are sure to have a comfortable ride on this fast and lively schooner.
The newest addition to the Classic Harbor Line, Key West fleet, is the motor Yacht Beacon! This 55 foot is a classic Gatsby-era yacht, and is the most elegant power vessel in Key West. Equipped with a full bar, comfortable wrap around seating, a marine head and fresh water rinse for those going on the snorkeling trip!