Tours on yacht Kingston are smaller and more intimate tours than those on yacht Manhattan, and guests are treated to a complimentary beer, wine or champagne from the bar & light snacks as well as soda, water, tea or coffee. Additional beverages and a full bar are available for purchase.
On this 3 hour 15 minute cruise, you will circumnavigate the island of Manhattan (passing under all 18 bridges) while taking in monuments, architecture, parks and infrastructure
Highlights, topics and themes of the 2014 AIA-NY tour include:
- Exploration of planning visions for both reclaiming the post-industrial waterfront, as the "6th Borough," and addressing rising sea levels
- Insightful coverage of Manhattan's classic spires, including the Chrysler and Woolworth Buildings, as well as a sharp focus on the new World Trade Center buildings and recent "starchitecture" boom; including buildings by Frank Gehry, Jean Nouvel and other noted international and local architects
- The greater waterfront access allowed by new parks and recreation piers including the ecologically driven features designed by leading landscape architects
- The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the newest waterfront monument: Roosevelt Island's FDR Four Freedoms Park
- NYC's engineering masterpieces including the Brooklyn and the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
- The adaptation of the High Line as an elevated, linear park and its role in the development of West Chelsea and Hudson Yards.
- The story of post WWII urban renewal and public housing along the Lower East Side.
What Is Not Included?
Guarantee of a full circumnavigation of Manhattan is not included. On rare occasions, the Spuyten Duyvil train bridge is inoperable and cannot open for us to pass through. This is often times not known until our tour is underway. There are no refunds for tours that cannot fully circumnavigate. We will accommodate such cases with a tour that features a double backing of the route and further detail of the waterfront sites.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|triblee||Sun, Oct 19 2:00 PM||Unspecified||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We would highly recommend this tour! The architect tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Seeing the city from the water is really the best way. Well worth the cost!
Enjoyed the Kingston tour
|Hodgson45||Sun, Oct 12 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Thoroughly enjoyed the Kingston Architecture cruise. However, the speaker wasn't the best so actually hearing the speaker was difficult.
|Bonsaibuddha||Sat, Oct 11 2:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
My wife and I went on this tour during our honeymoon to relax and enjoy the scenery. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see Manhattan from a new perspective. It was very informative without being boring. The entire experience was more than I could hope for. I could tell that the people running the tour really cared about what they were doing. My wife and I highly recommend it.
Fun & Informative
|BettyPalm||Sat, Oct 11 2:00 PM||Female||Unspecified||Local||Family Without Children|
I highly recommend this tour. Our guide was knowledgeable on all aspects of architecture and welcomed everyone's questions. She was very personable and her commentary made the 3.5 hours fly by. The view from the water provided a new perspective on NYC's buildings, monuments and landscape. Even though I am from the NY metro area, I learned so much.The tour included a glass of wine and plenty of nuts, pretzels, fruit and other nibbles. My husband unfortunately had to miss the tour but I was with other relatives and when I got home I raved about the trip. I'm looking forward to repeating the tour with my husband.
Interesting and Professional Look into NYC Arch
|jfabrams||Sat, Oct 11 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||Combination||Family Without Children|
Our family celebrated my wife's 60th birthday with the Around Manhattan Architecture Tour. Our party included my wife and I, my triplet brother and sister, their spouses, and our son who just completed his Master's degree in architecture at Kent State University. We all enjoyed the tour and found that our guide was well informed and entertaining. Initially I worried that a three + hour boat ride would drag on but that was not the case. Our time on the boat was filled with interesting commentary and absorbing visual information. By the end of the tour I found myself wishing our excursion would extend into the evening. All in all, It was very pleasant to spend the afternoon on NYC's various waterways and great to celebrate both my wife's birthday, as well as our son's recent graduation from architecture school, with the Around Manhattan Architecture Tour. Thank you.
|panda4ger||Sat, Oct 11 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
The tour guide was exceptional together with the boat captain and the crew. Had a wonderful time and would definitely think about taking it again!
Spectacular architectural guided tour
|wittkampster||Sun, Oct 5 9:45 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My husband and I spent three glorious Sunday morning hours on a vintage wooden boat learning about Manhattan and its architecture from a most knowledgeable and articulate young architect. The boat and the city were beautiful, and the staff were helpful and professional. We enjoyed the small group and the uncrowded nature of the tour. We have recommended this tour to everyone we know, and we cannot wait to do it again. This is a one-of-a-kind experience, not to be missed.
|DonFines||Sun, Sep 28 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
we thought the commentary was excellent. Very informative giving a great overview of new york's building history and progression. The boat was unique and the fact that we were able to circumnavigate Manhatten was special. plus we had fabulous weather. friendly staff...........Great time!!
|mjsgoodman||Sun, Sep 28 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Other|
As a born and bred New Yorker (and architectural school drop-out) I thought I knew a lot about the city's built environment. But a visiting architect friend from South America highly recommended this tour and I'm glad my husband and I decided to take a chance. The boat was spiffy (with a super-clean bathroom), the crew was polite and helpful, and the knowledgeable on-board AIA lecturer taught us a thing or two. However, it would have been nice to have a bit more quiet time to reflect on our awesome surroundings.
|lsemones||Sun, Sep 28 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
It was a great experience. I would recommend for anyone who likes architecture and a lovely, relaxing boat tour. Can't say enough about the Narrator on the tour, just wish I could remember her name. She was fabulous! Very knowledgeable and she had a very soothing voice. Incredibly she hasn't been doing this too long. Highly recommend.
- What exactly do we see on the cruise?
- Depending on tides & currents, the Kingston may travel north or south first to start the circumnavigation. Sites include: the Empire State Building and the tree-lined upper west side, the George Washington Bridge, the New Jersey Palisades on the west side embankment, the Harlem River & East River. The United Nations, the Williamsburg, Manhattan, and Brooklyn Brooklyn Bridge (as well as 14 other bridges). She makes a wide pass through the New York City Harbor to grab a spectacular view of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Financial District and the complete NYC Skyline. The Architecture tour focuses on both the new and the old, the iconic and the unknown - the full circumnavigation will offer guests a chance to see every inch of Manhattan's shoreline!
- Do cruises sell out frequently?
- Cruises often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- This trip is designated for Adults and Students (14 and older) with a keen interest in the narration. We aim to create an elegant and educational experience for these guests and ask that infants and children under 14 are not brought aboard. This tour is ideal for Adults and for Students with an interest in Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning, Design or Waterfront Development. High School Students or College Students with a valid Student ID may make use of the 'Student' ticket. Free infant tickets and child tickets are available on the Statue & Skyline Cruise and the Brunch Cruise.
- What do the light snacks include?
- Complimentary stationary displays are available for guests. They vary seasonally and by time of day but generally they may include pretzels, nuts, a cheese display, tea cakes, pastries, and/or fruit. You are also welcome to bring your own snacks onboard.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those too?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. A complimentary beverage will be served on trips, plus additional beverages will be available for purchase from the bar, including wines by the glass or the bottle.
- Is the Yacht Kingston safe?
- Absolutely. Along with your captain, there will be at least one crew member on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, and life jackets should you feel you need one.
- How steady is the cruise? Am I likely to get seasick?
- It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the Motor Yacht Kingston, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there an age limit for these cruises?
- While there is no age limit for the cruise, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Where does the cruise finish?
- Our cruise will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the cruise, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel cruises due to bad weather?
- The cruise runs regardless of most weather conditions. In the rare situation where we are forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or receive a refund.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the cruise?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the cruise. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our cruise?
- The aft-deck observatory of the Kingston is a completely enclosed area with a roof, so in the event of rain, you will be covered.
- Is the Yacht Kingston climate controlled?
- While it is not climate controlled, it does have windows that can be opened or closed.
- Is the Kingston handicap accessible?
- The Kingston is accessible to those with walkers and canes. While the exterior deck and observatory are accessible to those in wheelchairs, the Kingston is not completely wheelchair accessible by average standards. In addition, areas such as the and on-board restrooms have limited access. If you have further questions or concerns, please click “Contact SailNYC” to discuss with us before purchasing tickets.
- Is smoking permitted during the cruise?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Can I book a private charter cruise?
- Yes, private cruises can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private cruise, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNYC” to the left of the page.
- Are gift certificates available for your sails?
- No, gift certificates are not available. Please check out our other regularly scheduled public trips for fantastic gift certificate options!
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
She was constructed right here New York state by Scarano Boat Building in 2005. We take great pride in her New York heritage as well as in serving the very best of New York beers, wines, cheeses, produce, and local baked goods aboard her decks.
Edible Manhattan wrote that we are “not your mother’s Circle Line.” We strive to surpass any “tourist” expectations of what a harbor cruise entails: We include a “taste of New York” in our menus and maintain an unprecedented level of hospitality aboard a special, beautiful, intimate yacht built by NY craftsmen.
Classically-lined and comfortable with teak decks and mahogany rails, the Manhattan can accommodate up to 50 for dinner or 75 for passed hors d’ oeuvres. She features an enclosed, cushioned observatory surrounded by large windows and skylights. She is equipped for all weather with a/c & heating and thus operates comfortably from early spring through New Year’s Day.