Bordering the Hudson River north of Fort Lee, New Jersey, the Palisades are among the most dramatic geologic features in New York City's vicinity. Now you can have one of the best views of this natural wonder from a seat on the Schooner Adirondack.
During this Autumn sightseeing sail, we will:
- Sail north on the Hudson, with unsurpassed views of the city's Upper West Side
- Pass the the Palisades, a picturesque area lined with breathtaking cliffs
- Admire the orange, golden and brown leaves of fall
- Experience a Hudson River Valley excursion unlike any other
Join us on this autumn sail out of the busy city to the elegant, foliage-adorned cliffs of the Palisades.
What Is Not Included?
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking on all the piers at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $22, and up to 4 hours is $34.
- What's the difference between Adirondack and the Adirondack III?
- Both the Adirondack and the Adirondack III are the same length and are quite fast. The Adirondack III is a few years younger and her deck layout features a much smaller cockpit area yet larger deck space than Adirondack. From a distance, there is very little difference seen between these two boats. Adirondack is the vessel that has been with us from the start where as the Imagine was added to the fleet a couple years ago.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- During this autumn sightseeing sail, we will head north on the Hudson, providing views of the city's Upper West Side, then pass the Palisades, a picturesque area on the west side of the river lined with cliffs. You can admire the orange, golden and brown leaves of fall in this Hudson River Valley excursion that is unlike any other.
- Is food served during the sails?
- Lunch is included on the fall foliage trips.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those too?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on board. Our fall foliage, sunset and city lights sails include complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water. Our daytime sails include beer, soda, and bottled water. Our brunch sails include mimosas, bloody Mary's, champagne, OJ, beer, wine, soda, coffee, and water. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Is the Schooner Adirondack safe?
- Absolutely. The Schooner Adirondack is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets, should you feel you need one. There is also a private marine head (bathroom) below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner Adirondack is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any seasickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take such precautions for motion sickness. However, we cannot officially advise you to take any medication.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. Using a marine head involves pumping, and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems to date with theft or damage.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sail will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the captain, up to one hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or get a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some of the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) We have ankle-length, button-down raincoats available for all of our guests in the case we are caught in a rain-shower.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the Schooner Adirondack, and her sister the Adirondack III, can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNYC” to the left of the page.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- No, unfortunately there are no gift certificates available for this particular sail. There are, however, gift certificates available for our Daytime, Sunset, and City Lights Sails on the Schooner Adirondack, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please check out the Adirondack Classic Schooner Sails by clicking “List of All Activities” to the left of the page.
- What does the lunch on the Fall Foliage sail include?
- Lunch will consist of an assortment of sandwiches, fruit, chips and dessert.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be canceled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Sailing in this schooner is a privilege. She moves through the water efficiently and beautifully; we take great pride in sharing her with you.
The Adirondack is operated by Coast Guard-certified captains and extremely friendly and talented crew. Our crew is known for their amazing hospitality, and are professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.