Join us for a lunch of fruit, gourmet sandwiches, chips, and dessert as our experienced racing crew and captains compete in the "New York Classic Week" races.
The participants in this race are all classic sailing vessels of varying sizes and sail plans, so expect to see other schooners, sloops, ketches, and fifes from the turn-of-the-century vying for marks across the New York Harbor. The stunning bright work and beautiful classic lines of these historic vessels have been specially maintained by their owners and offer great photo opportunities! Races are scheduled from 10/6 through 10/8 with a 12:00pm gun. Each race each day will have a different course within the New York Harbor.
Some of the famous sites you'll view along the way are:
- The New York City skyline
- The 20-acre Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan, where artillery has been stationed over the centuries
- Ellis Island, the immigrant doorway to America from 1892 to 1954
- The Statue of Liberty, a French gift that arrived in New York Harbor in 1885 and has come to represent our nation's freedom and ideals
Join us for a New York Classic Week Race Aboard the America 2.0, and you'll experience NYC like never before.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- To guarantee a seat on board, you must purchase tickets in advance. Sails often sell out, so to maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book as soon as you're sure you want to go. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express card.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, you should also check out sails, the Adirondack’s twin vessel!
- Is there an age minimum for these sails?
- All attendees under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or supervising adult, and children under the age of 10 are not allowed.
- How long is the sail / race?
- We depart from the Chelsea Piers at 11:00am so we can be ready for the race to begin at noon. We return to the dock upon the completion of the race, or by 3:00pm.
- What are the New York Classic Week races?
- The New York Classic Week races are a series of races for classic sailing vessels and vessels that embody the spirit of the sailing tradition. Information about the races and race-week events can be found at the organizer's website: www.nyharborsailing.com.
- Is food served during the sail?
- Lunch will be served and is included in the price of your ticket.
- What does lunch include?
- Lunch will include seasonal fruit, assorted gourmet sandwiches, chips and dessert. Our standard bar includes beer, wine, champagne, soda and water.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. Our sail includes complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water, and we therefore ask that you do not bring your own drinks on your sail. (One quick note: we will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze-cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- How fast does the America 2.0 go?
- It depends on the wind, but it can go up to 12 knots.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- We will likely motor from our dock at Chelsea Piers to the starting line of the race and then set sail. The New York skyline, Battery Park, Governor's Island, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty will be seen during the sail. The course of the race and wind conditions will define how close we get to these landmarks.
- Is the Schooner America 2.0 safe?
- Absolutely. While known for her speed, the Schooner America 2.0 is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets should you feel you need one. There are also a private marine heads (bathrooms) and salon below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The America 2.0 is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the America 2.0, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with two bathrooms that are accessible at all times. We call them "marine heads" and they are unlike the bathrooms you use at home. They use a push button to flush.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail runs rain or shine, so please dress accordingly. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to receive a credit towards a future event or receive a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some of the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower, we have ankle-length, button-down raincoats available for all guests aboard the America 2.0.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sail will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Is the America handicap accessible?
- No, unfortunately the America is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior sails.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking on all the piers at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $22, and up to 4 hours is $34.
- Are dogs allowed on board the America 2.0?
- No, unfortunately dogs are not permitted aboard the boat.
- Is there shade on the America 2.0?
- Seating on the America 2.0 is on the open, outer deck of the boat. Depending on the position of the boat, the sail sometimes offers some shade at different times during the trip, but it's good to be prepared with sunscreen and a hat. You are also welcome to go below if need be to get out of the sun or elements.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the America 2.0, and her cousin the Adirondack, can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNYC” to the left of the page
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- No, unfortunately there are no gift certificates available for this particular sail. There are, however, gift certificates available for our daytime, sunset, and city lights sails on the Schooner Adirondack, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please check out the Adirondack Classic Schooner Sails by clicking “List of All Activities” to the left of the page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. Please dress accordingly. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to receive a credit for a future event or receive a refund.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by a supervising adult and children under 10 are not allowed.
- No children under the age of 18 will be allowed on board without a supervising adult to accompany them and children under 10 are not allowed.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 15%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Fast forward to 2011 and Scarano Boat Building in Albany, NY takes classic American values of craftsmanship and efficient design and adds in 21st century concepts--modern materials and eco-friendly propulsion-- and creates the most prestigious state-of-the-art ship of our time, America 2.0.
Sailing on the Schooner America 2.0 is a privilege. She moves through the water effortlessly and beautifully, and we take great pride in sharing her with you. Our staff is known for their amazing hospitality, and are all professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.