Our Father's Day Cruise will provide families with a leisurely cruise around Newport Harbor aboard a 1920s style mini-yacht. The Beacon is certified for up to 35 guests and features wrap around seating, a restroom, and a fully equipped bar. And to show we really care, fathers sail for $2! (They must be accompanied by children of all ages!)
While you experience the joy of a leisurely cruise, you'll:
- Experience the idyllic scenery of Newport Harbor and Narragansett Bay
- Munch on an assortment of complimentary sandwiches, including turkey, ham, and Italian on home-made bread
- Enjoy beer, wine, champagne and soft drinks ($1 per beverage, unless you're a father - then they're free!)
- See breathtaking sights of Newport Bridge, historic lighthouses, a 19th century military fort, stately waterfront mansions, Hammersmith Farm - the former Summer Whitehouse of JFK
(One quick note: we will serve a few rounds of beer, wine, and champagne, but it is not an unlimited booze-cruise. We aim to create a relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
Get him a gift he'll actually appreciate - a Father's Day Cruise aboard Beacon.
What Is Not Included?
- What is your price for fathers?
- Fathers who are accompanied by their children (of any age) can cruise for $2! All other guests, other than children and seniors, pay the full $27 ticket price.
- Does this cruise sell out?
- This is one of our most popular cruises, so we recommend purchasing tickets as soon as possible.
- What exactly do we see on the cruise?
- While each cruise may differ due to wind and other conditions, we do try to follow the following route: heading south out of Newport Harbor, Beacon passes by a 19th Century Fort and and heads out to Castle Hill Light House while passing stately waterfront mansions and seven different yacht clubs. Fantastic views of the Newport waterfront on the way back to Bowen's Wharf.
- Is there any narration on this sail?
- There will be some light narration on the sail. The captain and crew will give some information about the sights we see along the way, but this is a relaxing, leisurely sail on Narragansett Bay.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For children between the ages of 4 and 11 you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 3 and younger ride for free, but you’ll still need to enter the appropriate number of Infant tickets labeled “Free” when purchasing. All passengers, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- Will food be served during the cruise?
- This cruise will include complimentary food, including an assortment of sandwiches, including turkey, ham, and Italian on home-made bread (please note, menu subject to change). You are welcome to provide your own picnic as well!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. Beer, wine, champagne, and soft drinks are available for purchase ($1 per beverage, and fathers drink free). Water will be provided on board at no additional cost.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on board?
- Feel free to bring along your own picnic. However, personal drinks are not allowed. There will be both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase on board.
- Is the Motor Yacht Beacon safe?
- Absolutely. The Motor Yacht Beacon is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every cruise to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets and life jackets should you feel you need one. There is also a private marine head (bathroom) and salon below.
- How steady is the cruising? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Motor Yacht Beacon is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the Beacon, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these cruises?
- While there is no age limit for the cruises, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the cruise?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior cruises.
- Where does the cruise finish?
- Our cruise will end at the same wharf from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the cruise, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel cruises due to bad weather?
- The cruise usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the cruise, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to cruise time. If you have purchased tickets for a cruise that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our cruise?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower we have ankle-length button-down raincoats available for all of our guests.
- Can I book a private charter cruise?
- Yes, private cruises on the Motor Yacht Beacon can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private cruise, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNewport” to the left of the page.
- Are gift certificates available for this cruise?
- No, unfortunately there are no gift certificates available for this particular cruise. There are, however, gift certificates available for all of our daytime and Sunset Sails on the Schooner Adirondack II, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for one of these sails, please click on "List of All Activities" to the left of the page and then on "Buy a Gift Certificate" at the bottom of the page.
Sailing Excursions, Inc.
The Beacon is operated by Coast Guard Certified Captains and extremely friendly and talented crew. Known for their amazing hospitality, our staff is all professionally trained and experienced on our vessel. They're also very knowledgeable about all the sights you will enjoy.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself. With wind in your hair and amazing scenes in front of your eyes, everything is just breezy on the Beacon.