Sit back and enjoy breathtaking views of the Yorktown fireworks display from the best seat in town while discovering the beauty and tranquility of the York River. With awe inspiring nighttime views of the village overlooking the river, your sail on board the Tall Ship Alliance will be a celebration to remember!
Lend a hand at setting sail, enjoy a beverage or snack from the ship's galley, or just listen to the sound of the wind as we glide along under a cloud of canvas.
Please note that Yorktown will be very busy today and you should allow extra time for parking and getting to the ship.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required for the Fireworks Cruise. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Which schooner will I be on?
- You will set sail on the Schooner Alliance, which is a 105' Tall Ship.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, check out a day sail instead!
- What time do the fireworks start?
- The fireworks display at Yorktown will begin around 9:15pm and will last for about 20 minutes.
- Will we be sailing during the fireworks display?
- Before the fireworks begin, we will take down the sails, turn off the engine, and begin drifting with the current. This will provide you with an unobstructed view of the fireworks!
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- Yes, there is free parking at the meeting location. PLEASE ARRIVE AT LEAST AN HOUR EARLY TO ALLOW TIME TO FIND PARKING ON July 4th. THEY WILL CLOSE THE STREETS WHEN THE PARKING AREAS ARE FULL and you may have to park in the satellite parking area at the Battlefield. Details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- Since this sail is intended to be a relaxing evening for adults, children under the age of 7 will not be permitted on board.
- Can pregnant women attend the sail?
- Yes! Because we sail in protected waters, the sail should be calm and easy for pregnant women. However, if you are in your last trimester, it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before purchasing tickets.
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food and beverages are not included, but a variety of snacks and drinks will be available for purchase on board. Hot dogs ($3, Alliance only), chips and other bagged snacks ($1), sodas or water ($1), beer ($3-4), and wine ($5-7) will be available for purchase on board. Sorry, no credit cards accepted on board!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- You may bring one bottle of water per passenger but other than that, personal beverages are prohibited. There will be beer and wine available for purchase during the sail (beer for $3-4, and wine for $5-7). Bring extra cash and valid id with you if you'd like to purchase alcoholic beverages on board. Non-alcoholic options include sodas and water ($1 each).
- Is the Schooner Alliance safe?
- Absolutely. The Schooner Alliance is Coast Guard Certified and fully equipped with modern safety equipment.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner Alliance is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick since we stay on the York River in protected waters. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however!
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, there will be a clean marine head on board. That unisex bathroom is accessible at the bottom of a steep ladder on board. There are also men's and women's bathrooms at the head of the dock at our meeting location, and we strongly encourage you to use the bathrooms before boarding, especially if you have limited mobility.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is limited room on board to stow personal belongings. Please do not bring any heavy or large items such as luggage on board - leave them in your car!
- What should I wear?
- Please wear flat soled shoes and avoid heels or platform shoes. Also bring a jacket or sweater with you since it does get cooler after the sun sets.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is cancelled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- In the event of mild rain, we'll still continue the sail! We have covering on the boat and a little rain never hurt anyone.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. If you've enjoyed your experience, tips for our hardworking crew are greatly appreciated!
- Is the boat handicapped accessible?
- Our schooner may be handicapped/wheelchair accessible depending upon your situation. There is an 8 foot gangway with two steps at the end, but we can help you on board as long as you have limited mobility and can make it up the steps with assistance. If you have a small, non-motorized wheelchair, we may be able to bring it on board with us. If you have a large or motorized wheelchair, you may leave it on the dock under the supervision of the dockmaster. For any additional questions, please click “Contact SailYorktown”.
- Is there assigned seating on the sails?
- No, seating is first come first served on the sunset sails. Please arrive at least 10 minutes before the sail is scheduled to depart, as we will begin boarding exactly 10 minutes beforehand.
- Is there shade/covering on the boat?
- There is an awning over the aft deck. Also the sails provide some shade in the forward part of the ship.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Private sails are available on the Schooner Alliance and Serenity. If you're interested in a private charter, please click “Contact SailYorktown” to the left of the page to make a request!
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make a great unique gift for any special occasion! Please click “Contact SailYorktown” if you’re interested in purchasing a gift certificate.
Schooners Alliance & Serenity
Their two schooners include the gaff-rigged 105' schooner the Alliance, and the 65' gaff topsail schooner the Serenity. Both boats give you the opportunity to explore the Chesapeake Bay tidewaters!
For those who love history, yearn for romance, or have dreamed of experiencing a true sailing adventure, your ship has just come in!