Savannah Taste Experience will guide your taste buds toward the rich, diverse and delectable culinary identity of this beautiful lowcountry city through 7 unique and savory stops on our flagship food tasting tour, including specialty food stores, local restaurants and authentic eateries.
Savannah’s long, rich history, beautiful architecture, amazing people and unique lowcountry-speed-of-life are just a few of the mouthwatering flavors folded into the diverse food culture of this incredible city. The task of narrowing down the vast, colorful and delicious flavors of Savannah to something that can be enjoyed in just one afternoon took months of evaluation and analysis.
On this distinctive 3-hour walking tour we'll learn about and taste a variety of southern and unique foods that may include:
- Shrimp and grits
- She-Crab Bisque
- Scotch pies
- Fried green tomatoes
- Pimento cheese
- One-of-a-kind honey
- World-famous cupcakes
- Proper iced tea
- Artisinal salts
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tickets must be purchased in advance as Savannah Taste Experience tours typically sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting the day, time and number of tickets you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased online with a Visa, AMEX, or MasterCard from Zerve, or by calling (800) 979-3370. Cash is not accepted.
- Is there a waiting list in the event that a tour is sold out?
- No, unfortunately we don't have a waiting list. However, if a date and time is sold out, there is always a good chance that we will add an additional tour on that day. Please click on the "Contact SavannahTste" link to let us know what date you are interested in if you do not see availability.
- When is the best time to take the tour?
- We highly recommend taking our food tours at the beginning of your visit so that you may enjoy returning to your favorite food tasting locations and redeem your store coupons. Since tours usually sell out well in advance, we suggest booking early to get your preferred date and time.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- Please be sure and let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, allergy, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know in advance, we can do our best to accommodate your needs. Please note, there are some tastings on the tour that are very difficult to replace (i.e., finding a substitution for a diabetic in a pastry shop can be challenging). We will always do our best to accommodate each person's needs.
- Are there vegetarian options on the tour?
- Yes. All tours offer alternative tasting options for vegetarians. Please let us know of any dietary restrictions when purchasing your tickets.
- How much food will be included on the tour?
- Most guests of Savannah Taste Experience find that the tastings are enough for lunch. While portion sizes are smaller than a normal serving you would order on your own, there are at least 6 different tastings. Our guests find themselves comfortable and satiated by tour's end. Please note our food tours are not intended to replace multiple meals, so please consider eating breakfast before the tour.
- How much walking is involved?
- Tours last approximately 3 hours and participants can expect to be standing or walking for a majority of the time. We walk at a moderate pace and cover almost 1.5 miles. We do provide at least two resting locations for at least 45 minutes total.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are certainly welcome and we do offer a reduced price ticket for children under 12. However, please keep in mind that the tour is 3 hours long and that some children have a limited attention span for some of the content of the tour - thus, the tour may not be appropriate for some children. We simply ask parents to judge whether all of the standing and walking would make the tour appropriate for their children.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- No. If your young child will not be participating in the tastings, you do not need to purchase a ticket for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child by including a "Message to the Seller” when purchasing your tickets.
- What happens if it rains?
- Rain or shine, we dine. However, we advise to check the weather conditions for your day's event and dress appropriately. On rare occasions, we will contact you in the event of anticipated severe weather.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- Though uncommon, food-tasting locations can change without notice. However, some of the locations we may visit include Savannah Bee Company, Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub, The Salt Table and the Boar's Head Grill.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- The food tastings will vary, but we will generally taste a number of lowcountry favorites including stuffed shrimp, sticky toffee pudding, she-crab soup, proper iced tea and more.
- Are any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes. There is a non-alcoholic beverage sampling included on the tour. Additionally, most of the tasting locations provide water and/or beverages during the tour. You can also purchase water or beverages at the beginning of the tour at the meeting location or bring your own water bottle.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- NO!!! Savannah Taste Experience Food Tours are a total enjoyment experience (and here you just thought it was a clever name) by combining architectural commentary, historical facts, local culture, customs and culinary knowledge into a fun, exciting and distinctive 3-hour experience. See what others have said about us in our reviews, visit us on Facebook, or just check out our photos and video to get a better idea of the total experience.
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- No. The tour finishes approximately a half mile away from the starting location, near the City Market. Detailed instructions are provided after purchasing your tickets with starting and ending point locations, and all participants will receive a map with return directions included at the beginning of the tour. Return trips are simple and can be accomplished by walking or taking a trolley or CAT bus.
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Yes. Savannah Taste Experience will assist in directing any guests using wheelchairs or strollers to optimize safety and enjoyment of the tour.
- Can I shop during the tour?
- No. As with many other tours, you'll have to wait until the end to check out the “gift shop.” The tour needs to stay on a tight schedule so we arrive at each tasting location when the food is at its optimum freshness (e.g., when hot dishes are hot and cold dishes are cold). To maximize the enjoyment of the tour, we ask you to allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations. Savannah Taste Experience will provide guests with a map of all of the tasting locations, exclusive coupons to some of our locations and info about other great places to check out.
- Do your tours have anything to offer a native Savannahian?
- Yes. Savannahians often participate in our tours to learn a little more about their beloved city and to enjoy a great midday stroll with some new friends, not to mention savoring delicious bites from unique specialty stores and authentic restaurants in some of Savannah’s tastiest spots.
- Are tours offered in languages other than English
- No. We only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact SavannahTste" link if you would like to discuss making arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes. Bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes! Please take as many photos or film as you like! In fact, we would love for you to share the pictures and videos of your experience with us by email or by posting them to our Facebook page after the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuity?
- Yes. Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory. The standard gratuity in the service industry is 15%.
- Is there parking near the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there are several public parking garages located near the meeting point. Specific parking information will be given after purchasing your tickets.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, Savannah Taste Experience Gift Certificates are available! Click on the "Contact SavannahTste" link and let us know what you are interested in.
- Can I book a private group tour?
- Yes. To set up or learn more, please click on the "Contact SavannahTste" link on the left side of the page. A Savannah Taste Experience representative will contact you shortly thereafter.
Savannah Taste Experience
The founders of Savannah Taste Experience left lucrative careers in the law and media to dedicate their taste buds and time to creating walking food tours around the historical squares of the Hostess City that best capture the essence of Savannah’s culinary identity. Meanwhile the tour guides of Savannah Taste Experience demonstrate the same pride and passion of the founders through their courteous, exciting and knowledgeable presentation of this culinary exploration.
Discover the most tantalizing, intriguing and delicious way to enjoy Savannah!