- Office parties
- Memorial Services & Ash Scatterings
- Sailing training
- Team building
At night, you can enjoy an elegant evening of dockside cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in a unique and attractive setting. The Schooner Fame is an ideal venue for any reception or party with a maritime or historic theme.
Both on-the-water and dockside charters can include snacks, drinks, or a full-fledged meal. We can provide a caterer, or you can hire your own. All private charters and dockside events require a two-hour minimum and include the services of our captain, crew, and bartender.
Please click the "Contact SchoonerFame" link to inquire about setting up a private event.
- How can I book a private charter sail?
- Please click “Contact SchoonerFame” to the left of the page to inquire about booking a private charter.
- Are food and drinks included?
- All private charters can include snacks, drinks, or a full meal. We can provide a caterer, or you can hire your own. The schooner has a liquor license, so by state law we must supply any alcohol which is consumed on board.
- How many people does the boat hold?
- The Schooner FAME has a capacity of 40 passengers.
- Do you really raise the sails and turn the motor off?
- YES! Giving our passengers the experience of living in the Age of Sail is what we're all about. We only use the engine for about five minutes at each end of the trip, to help us get into and out of our slip.
- Is there a bathroom on board?
- Yes. It is below decks, accessible by descending a short ladder, so those with limited mobility may wish to do their business ashore before coming aboard. As on most traditional vessels, our bathroom uses a marine head, which is a bit different than a conventional toilet. Instructions are posted, but the crew will be happy to explain its operation.
- Is the schooner wheelchair accessible?
- We regularly accommodate people in wheelchairs on our sails, but please note the wheelchair cannot wheel directly onto the vessel. In order to get from the dock onto the boat and comfortably into your seat, our staff will need to assist you. If you have a wheelchair that folds or is light, we can actually seat you in your chair on board. For those with heavy electric wheelchairs, you will need to leave it on the dock. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please click on the "Contact SchoonerFame" link for more information.
- Am I going to get seasick?
- Seasickness is rarely a problem on beamy schooners like Schooner Fame operating in protected waters close to shore. Nobody has ever gotten sick during one of our sails on the Salem Sound. However, those prone to motion sickness may wish to take precautions before boarding. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however!
- Are pregnant women allowed on the boat?
- Yes, expecting mothers are welcome to sail with us.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Once raised, the sails will definitely provide shade to one side of the boat at all times, but there is no covered section of the boat.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants are required to have tickets for this event.
- Our boat is United States Coast Guard documented for a certain amount of passengers and we cannot exceed the capacity. This means that all passengers including infants and toddlers must have a ticket.
Launched in June 2003 from the H. A. Burnham Boatyard in Essex, MA, our new Schooner Fame offers public sails on historic Salem Sound, where pirates, privateers, East Indiamen and men of war have been making history for 400 years. The Schooner Fame sails up to three times daily from Memorial Day through September and then weekends only through Halloween from Pickering Wharf Marina in downtown Salem.
The Schooner Fame also offers summer camp sessions as well as being available for private charter. For more information about private charters, our camp programs, or to purchase Schooner Fame merchandise, please click on the "Contact SchoonerFame" link.