SegZone Tours has collaborated with First State Heritage Park to bring you a historic adventure in the city that has been Delaware's capital since 1777.
On this SegZone tour, you will hear First State Heritage Park's audio narration of 13 sites in Dover's historic district and speak with the park's historical interpreters inside:
- The Old State House (1791)
- Legislative Hall (Delaware's capitol building - Saturday tours only)
- Woodburn (Official residence of Delaware's Governors - Saturday tours only)
- Saturday tours take place on the first Saturday of every month, and go inside all three locations listed above.
- Sunday tours operate on a weekly basis, and go inside The Old State House only.
Helmets and headsets included - don't forget to bring your camera!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chance of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. You can do this online or over the phone using only Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Do I have to pay tax?
- No. There is no sales tax in Delaware.
- Who can ride the Segway ģ PT?
- Although riding a Segway PT is relatively easy, all riders must be at least 14 years of age. Also, riders should have the ability to make motions such as climbing and descending stairs without assistance. The Segway PT is not appropriate for those weighing under 100 pounds or over 260 pounds.
- Am I allowed to ride if I'm pregnant?
- While SegZone Tours does not recommend that pregnant women participate in these tours, it is up to the discretion of the attendee and the tour guide. Please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link if you have any questions.
- I have children in my group that are under 14 years old. Can they still come on the tour?
- No, unfortunately children under the age of 14 are not permitted on the tour for safety reasons.
- What exact locations do we visit?
- Starting at the visitor's center, sites include Legislative Mall, the Ridgely House, the Golden Fleece Site, Caesar Rodney House, The Green, Kent County Courthouse, The Old State House, Constitution Park, The Methodist Church/ Bullen House, Woodburn/Hall House, Christ Episcopal Churchyard, and Loockerman House. You will hear about interesting stories such as the Poison Candy Murders, and get a walking tour inside of The Old State House by official First State Heritage Park interpreters. Saturday tours also include tours inside Woodburn (Official residence of Delaware's Governors) and Legislative Hall (Delaware's capitol building) by official First State Heritage Park interpreters.
- What is the difference between Saturday and Sunday tours?
- Saturday tours take place on the first Saturday of each month, and include walking tours inside three locations: The Old State House, Woodburn (Official residence of Delaware's Governors) and Legislative Hall (Delaware's capitol building) by official First State Heritage Park interpreters. These tours are 12-15 minutes each. Sunday tours operate on a weekly basis and include a longer 30-40 minute walking tour inside The Old State House only.
- Do we actually ride the Segways inside the locations we stop at?
- No, we will park the Segways outside the locations while we are inside.
- I am a Dover local - will I enjoy this tour?
- Though you may have seen the sights before, you will still enjoy the unique experience of gliding around Dover on a Segway and seeing it all from a different perspective.
- What happens if it rains?
- We run our tours rain or shine, and will provide ponchos to our guests should there be rain. In event that there is extremely severe weather and we are forced to cancel, you will be able to reschedule (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future tour.
- Do I have to sign a waiver?
- Each participant is required to sign a waiver. Children under the age of 18 will require the signature of a parent or guardian.
- How much time of the tour is actually spent on a Segway?
- From start to finish the experience will last about 2.5 hours. The tour itself is two hours long and training is NOT included in these two hours. The training usually takes about 20-30 minutes or so, so we ask that you arrive on time so we can finish training and depart for the tour as soon as possible. During the two hour tour itself, only about 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes or so will be spent actually riding the Segway since you'll be parking your Segway and participating in walking tours of specific sites (a 30-40 minute tour inside the Old State House on Sundays, and 12-15 minute tours of the Old State House, Woodburn, and Legislative Hall on Saturdays).
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way? What about souvenirs?
- There's a lot to see as we roll through Dover, so unfortunately there will not be time to stop for food, drinks, or shopping. You are welcome to bring your own snacks and we will provide you with bottled water for the ride.
- Will we stop to take photos and go inside the sites listed for the tour?
- There will be three official stops on our Saturday tours, and one official stop on our Sunday tours, where you will be going inside the sites. The Segways will be parked outside the locations during the stops. There will be plenty of opportunities for pictures along the way.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends where it begins, at the visitor's center.
- Do Segways have the ability to store bags, purses?
- Each Segway is outfitted with a handle bar bag, which can carry personal items, such as medium to large purses, cameras, and sunglasses. You can store bigger bags and items at the meeting location for the duration of your tour.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, all of our tours are only conducted in English. However, our non-English speaking participants will still enjoy the experience of riding a Segway and seeing the sights of Dover.
- Are restrooms available?
- It is preferred that you use the restrooms at the meeting spot before the start of the tour. However, there are restrooms available during the tour if necessary.
- How do I learn to ride a Segway PT?
- Each tour begins with a 20 - 30 minute training session. You will first sign a liability waiver and get fitted with a helmet and headset. Next you will watch a Segway demonstration and then each participant will be trained separately. The tour will begin once everyone feels comfortable and has mastered the operations of the Segway.
- How does the Segway PT work?
- This breakthrough technology, termed "dynamic stabilization," is the essence of the Segway PT. Dynamic stabilization enables the Segway PT to work seamlessly with the body's movements. Gyroscopes and tilt sensors in the unit monitor a rider's center of gravity at about 100 times a second. When the rider leans slightly forward, the Segway PT moves forward. When the rider leans slightly back, the Segway PT moves backward.
- What is the Segway Personal Transporter (PT)?
- The Segway Personal Transporter (PT) is the first self-balancing, electric-powered transportation device. With dimensions no larger than the average adult body and the ability to emulate human balance, the Segway PT uses the same space as a pedestrian, and can go wherever a person can walk.
- How safe is the Segway PT?
- The utmost care and research has gone into ensuring that the Segway PT is safe. The Segway PT's balancing technology is truly revolutionary and provides an exceptional riding experience. The Segway PT has redundant systems and sophisticated alerts built into its design, and many thousands of hours of use have demonstrated that the Segway PT is safe when used appropriately. It is important that Segway PT riders understand their responsibility to ride safely. Proper skill level and understanding of the Segway PT prevents injuries caused by loss of control or misuse.
- How fast do the Segways go?
- Our Segways have a maximum speed of 12.5 miles per hour. However, the majority of the tour is spent riding on sidewalks at about 3-8 miles per hour.
- Can I arrange for a private/corporate/business event?
- Yes! To arrange for a private, corporate, or business event, please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must meet age and weight requirements.
- All Segway riders must be age 14 or older. Each rider must weigh at least 100 pounds and no more than 260 pounds.
- All participants must sign a waiver.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before taking the tour. All participants under 18 must have a parent or supervising adult present to sign for them. Helmets are also required and are provided by SegZone Tours.
Seg Zone Tours
We recently teamed up with First State Heritage Park to offer fun and historical Segway tours of beautiful Dover, Delaware! We also offer Segway tours of Annapolis, Maryland.†
We are proud to be "part of the family" and are eager to make you one of ours too!