Highlights of this 3 hour walking, shopping tour include:
- Sample Sale shopping, where designer apparel and accessories can run between 50-80% below retail
- Wholesaler showrooms available only to Shop Gotham guests, for purchasing apparel and accessories at 50% below retail or more.
- A list of other Sample Sales that day for your independent shopping after the tour
- The history and fascinating facts about this legendary area.
What Is Not Included?
While gratuity for your guide is optional, it is common and greatly appreciated. Please remember to tip your guide!
- How long is the tour?
- The Garment Center tour runs 3 hours.
- Is there shopping for Men's items on this tour?
- It is important to note that the Garment Center (a district of NYC) is the center for Women's apparel and accessories. Only occasionally are there items for men, but it cannot be guaranteed. We welcome men on our tours to accompany their female partners, but it is important to understand that this is NOT geared toward men's items.
- How much time do we spend shopping?
- With the exception of walking from one place to the next, all of your time will be spent shopping. Your guide will regale you with the history and details of the area as you walk.
- Is transportation included?
- This is a walking tour so there is no transportation. The tour requires a significant amount of walking, however, so please wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for the weather.
- Is lunch included?
- Lunch is not included. There are many delis and shops in the neighborhood to buy a snack if you get hungry. Eat a hearty breakfast before the tour to maximize your shopping time!
- Where will we be shopping?
- We will be shopping at a variety of Wholesale Showrooms, and a Sample Sale or possibly 2. Sample sales vary from week to week so the sale stops vary from tour to tour. You will make approximately 6 stops plus the very interesting meeting location.
- Are there any places to stop and rest along the route?
- Yes, a number of our shopping stops have seating, so you can take a break while the rest of the group shops. Plan for an active afternoon, however, because there is a lot to see and you will be on the move!
- Is the tour wheelchair-accessible?
- Yes! If you are in a wheelchair and would like to join us, we only request that you do two things: Please bring someone along with you to help navigate your chair if necessary, and please keep in mind that we will travel a considerable amount of distance over the course of the 3-hour tour.
- What is a sample sale?
- Originally, sample sales existed so designers could make money from selling production samples or samples from their current collections that were displayed for buyers to preview and order. Today, Sample Sales are a highly sought-after phenomenon of NYC. They are primarily overstock/overrun sales at which designers sell items from current seasons that they did not sell to stores. Sample sales usually carry a range of sizes and discounts run from 50-80% off retail. Sample sales run all year round with the exception of Summer. Winter clothing is generally sold in Oct, Nov., Dec. & January, Spring items in March, April & May. Summer in June & Sept.
- What type of payment is accepted at sample sales and showrooms?
- Many sample sales and showrooms accept credit cards, but it is always a good idea to bring cash. (Many sales either have a minimum charge amount or give a better discount for cash purchases.)
- Should I tip my guide?
- It is a customary and very appreciated gesture to tip your tour guide at the end of the tour.
- How many people are on the tour?
- Tours will have a maximum of 12 guests, as we aim for a high level of personalized attention on all tours. Our guides are trained to provide a significant amount of guide/guest interaction to insure the best possible tour experience.
- How do I inquire about a private tour?
- If you are interested in booking a private tour, contact Shop Gotham by clicking on the "Contact ShopGotham" link.
- What is a Wholesale Showroom?
- A Wholesale Showrooms is where store buyers go to select and order their items. They are NOT accessible to the public. Shop Gotham has exclusive relationships with many showrooms. On the Garment Center tour, you will be provided this special access for purchasing women's clothing and accessories, currently in the stores, at 50% below retail.
- What do we shop for?
- The visits we make are PRIMARILY for Women's clothing and accessories. Occasionally, these same stops carry men's wear as well. Occasionally, we may also stop into a Sample Sale for other items such a Tabletop.
- What age is this best for?
- This tour is best suited to girls/women ages 16 and higher. Childen under 10 may attend Free. Only one child per adult.
- Will we be going to Hermes, Prada, Louis Vuitton and the like
- Only if they are having Sample Sales, which is not likely. We will be shopping at a variety of Wholesale Showrooms (not open to the public, this is where store buyers come) & perhaps a Sample Sale. All stops are for shopping for women’s apparel and accessories. They will range from outerwear to sportswear to accessories. As the guests on tours vary, each showroom will offer very different selection. Sample sales vary from week to week so the sale stops vary from tour to tour. You will make approximately 6 stops in total in addition to the very interesting meeting location. We work with companies that sell to fine stores such as Saks, Neimans, Searle, Scoop and US better boutiques. They may not be household names, but they sell current, fashionable and quality merchandise. We hope these will be designers you will be thrilled to be introduced to.
Shop Gotham has been on Good Day NY and has been featured in publications such as The New York Times, Conde Nast Traveler, The London Evening Standard, The Times (London), The New York Daily News, The Toronto Star and The Miami Herald.