In the glow of the setting sun, you'll catch glimpses of Sea Lions, Otters and other marine life, as you cruise through the breath-taking scenery of Santa Cruz.
This fully-narrated cruise includes:
- A visit to the historic cement ship "Palo Alto" from the World War I era--transformed into a man-made reef teaming with marine life.
- The tranquil Kelp Forest growing off the Point of Santa Cruz
- Steamer's Surfing area--one of the most famous surfing spots in the world
- A scenic cruise through the beautiful Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor
- A full-service galley where you can purchase lunch, snacks, beer and wine.
What Is Not Included?
You can also bring your own food and drinks on board, but no outside alcohol. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed.
- When does the Sunset Trip run?
- We usually only run this trip after Labor Day. If you're interested in seeing wildlife during other times of the year, we recommend the afternoon scenic trip.
- Do you guarantee sightings?
- Although we cannot guarantee that we'll see every creature that calls the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary home, we do have a very high success rate. There is a variety of marine life to be seen and enjoyed.
- Where exactly do we go?
- We depart near the Kelp Forest, where you can catch a glimpse of sea otters playing in the water. We then continue near Steamer's Lane surfing area and check out Sea Lion Island. We then cross the Santa Cruz Lake and go deeper into the Monterey Bay. We also visit an World War II era cement ship. Finally we make our way across the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor and take a scenic ride along the main beaches of Santa Cruz and the boardwalk.
- What is the best time of the year to go?
- We only schedule these trips when we know you have a great chance of getting some breath-taking views of local wildlife. So, join us anytime the trip is going out! We see different species at different times throughout the year. Every trip is different. No two trips are alike.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance
- Are children allowed?
- Yes! Children between the ages of 4 and 13 can purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Infants ages 3 and younger are not allowed on the Sunset Cruise. If you'd like to take your young child on one of our cruises, check out the Scenic Bay Cruise.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- For safety reasons, this cruise is not suitable for pregnant women. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- What types of food and beverages are available in the full-service galley?
- You can purchase a variety of food and beverage items at the galley. For lunch/dinner, our selection includes cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, quesadillas, cold-cut sandwiches, chips, popcorn, and candy. Our drink selection includes soda, bottled water, beer, and wine.
- I am planning on eating in the full service galley, how much money should I bring?
- Approximately $15.00 should cover the cost of your lunch, as well as some wine or beer.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes. You can bring your own food and beverages, but outside alcohol cannot be brought onto the boat. Please limit your cooler size to less than 20 inches. Beer and wine are available for purchase in the full service galley.
- What happens if it rains?
- The trip runs rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. But don't worry. Some of our best trips have taken place in less than perfect weather, so plan your attire accordingly. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- A small one for your food and beverages. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed, so as to not deprive yourself or everyone else of space.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, there is a restroom on the boat.
- What should I wear?
- Warm layered clothing and rubber soled shoes are best. It is always much cooler on the ocean than on land, so it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. Once you become comfortable you can always peel a layer off.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- The boat is not wheelchair accessible, however, we will do all that we can to accommodate customer with disabilities. There are stairs leading the way to the entrance of the boat, so if you're willing to allow our crew to help you up the stairs, we'll gladly do so.
- Where does my trip end?
- Your trip will end in the exact place that it starts from.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You may choose to wear a life jacket if you feel you need one.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- Trips depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. HOWEVER, check-in for the trip happens at Stagnaro’s office on 7th Ave and Eaton St. The staff will then direct you to the boat, which is about a one minute drive away. Don't worry - exact meeting location details and directions will be provided upon ticket purchase!
- How early should I arrive to check in before my trip?
- Please arrive half an hour before your trip begins. Remember to take traffic into account when making your plans, which is much heavier during the weekends and in the afternoons.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes. Indoor seating and awnings are available if you need to get out of the sunlight.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Please keep your coolers under 20 inches in length. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Stagnaro Charter Boats are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes! Stagnaro Charter Boats can accommodate a variety of special requests. For Group Discounts for up to 63 passengers, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link for more information.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Not suitable for children ages 3 and younger, nor for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, children ages 3 and younger are not allowed on this trip. Pregnant women are not advised to attend due to the inherent motion of the boat and safety precautions. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor
Stagnaro Charter Boats
This historical landmark business is still leading the way in ocean fun on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Today's fourth generation Stagnaro Charter Boats will surely make your trip fun and memorable.