Summer Whale & Sealife Excursion:
- May through November: The Humpback Whales frequent the Monterey Bay as their feeding grounds.
- Climb aboard and join us as we search the bay sanctuary for a variety of marine mammals including: Humpback Whales, Blue Whales, Dolphins, Sea Otters, Sea Lions and more
- December through April: The winter is Gray Whale season. The chance of sighting the Gray Whales at this time is very high, somewhere around 90%!
- 20,000 California Gray Whales pass through our bay waters on their annual winter migration from the cold arctic waters, to the warm lagoons of Baja Peninsula. You can get breathtaking close up views of these beautiful cetaceans. Sightings of dolphins and other marine mammals are also common. This is truly an Ocean Adventure for the whole family!
What Is Not Included?
You can also bring your own food and drinks on board, but no outside alcohol. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|cgingell||Sun, Oct 19 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
saw lots of whales, the naturalist was very friendly and informative, did not need the binoculars, captain tracked the whales on sonar and took the boat up alongside so all could see. advice about warm clothing was much appreciated.
Exceeded all expectations!
|Martinkean||Sat, Oct 18 10:30 AM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I'm not sure if this was 'exceptional' or what, but friends had posted on Facebook how amazing it had been to see one or two whales on their own trips. Well, we had a literal feast of humpbacks, sea lions, as well as an enormous pod of bottle nose dolphins who came frolicking over to our boat, doing the usual antics. This was a day to remember indeed! The captain, crew and guide were very professional, helping to build the excitement, their enthusiasm never faltered even as they do this day in and day out! I have to say this was probably a highlight of my life so far, it was THAT good! Don't hesitate, book now!!
trip of a lifetime.
|TonFigueroa||Sat, Oct 18 10:30 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Unspecified|
I can't begin to say how much we enjoyed , our selves. We got an email as to where we picked up our tickets. The guy was so nice.The people on the boat were very personable. The lady , guide she was grrat.We seen whale's. So supper cool. We seen dolphin. Loved it. Will do it again.
|MARIBUGHI||Sat, Oct 18 10:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The whole experience went way above our expectations!! The Captain and Staff were exceptional. The weather was fantastic and OH MY the Whales! The many many Whales we saw. And they were right next to the boat. Then at the end the Captain said he heard there were some dolphins a bit further out..and there were...hundreds of them!! We took some incredible pictures of the Whales and Dolphins. Thank you all for the great time. I would (and have) highly recommend it to any and everyone!!!! We were 4 girl on a girlfriend weekend away and this was the highlight of our trip!!
Experience of a lifetime!
|KCREED||Sat, Oct 18 10:30 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
WOW! I have never hoped to have this type of an adventure. Everything was absolutely amazing! From the crew, the vessel, the naturalist, the weather, the ocean, the whales, the seals, the birds and the dolphins - we saw it all so close to the boat it was unbelievable! WOW!
|gstern||Fri, Oct 17 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family Without Children|
We saw lots of whales and the staff was extremely helpful, professional and informative.
Amazing Humpback Activity!
|MDeAngelis||Mon, Oct 13 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||Combination||Unspecified|
The crew of the Velocity did an amazing job of finding whales for us to photograph! We had tail slaps, pectoral fin slaps, tail throws, head slaps, and reverse tail slaps (top side hitting the water) along with several breaches. It was an amazing day at sea!
Exceeded my expectations
|cheryljaques||Mon, Oct 13 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
E erg thing ran on time. Whales were unbelievable. Teens gave mom "cred's" for booking this trip.
|Maestro810||Mon, Oct 13 11:00 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
We had a marvelous time! My wife said it was one of the best days of her life. I took over 400 photos. Unfortunately I missed the shot when the humpback jumped completely out of the water -- but I saw it. Very exciting. Thanks for a great experience.
Great day on the Bay
|Kmeinhardt||Sat, Oct 11 12:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
Loved it! Great staff, saw lots of whales, sea lions, seals otters and birds. Would recommend to anyone!
- What whale and dolphin sightings have you seen lately?
- August 6, 2014: The last several trips have included many different awesome behaviors from multiple humpback whales, as dozens of animals continue summer feeding in Monterey Bay. In the last week we have seen breaching, tail throws, pectoral slapping and even surface lunge feeding from the animals. We have also had bow riding Dolphins and giant ocean sunfish (Mola Mola) come under the boat! Whale Watching from Santa Cruz in Monterey Bay is as good as it gets right now! ... ... ... ... Check for sightings updates at this link: http://santacruzwhalewatching.com/recent-sightings/
- When do the Whale Watching Trips run?
- Our trips are scheduled frequently throughout the year! Please check our calendar for upcoming events. Other marine life can also be seen on our inner bay 1 hour Scenic Cruise.
- Do you guarantee that I will sees whales on the cruise?
- We have a success rate of over 90% for sightings of whales and/or dolphins. Sea lions and otters are quite common in the bay. Mother nature can be elusive, but we will try our best.
- How long is the trip?
- Our trips may vary in length depending upon the time of year and where the whales are located. They can last between 3 and 4 hours, depending on where the animals are on a given day.
- What is the best time of the year to see whales?
- Anytime. We see different types of whales at different times throughout the year. Every trip is different. No two trips are alike.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Are children allowed?
- Yes, children are welcome to attend.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- For safety reasons, this cruise is not suitable for pregnant women. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- What happens if it rains?
- The trip runs rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. But don't worry. Some of our best trips have taken place in less than perfect weather, so plan your attire accordingly. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Can you make special arrangements for groups?
- We are able to accommodate groups of 10 or more who would like to go Whale Watching. If your group is interested in this trip, please click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link.
- What types of food and beverages are served in the full-service galley?
- You can purchase a variety of food and beverage items at the galley. For lunch/dinner, our selection includes cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, quesadillas, cold-cut sandwiches, chips, popcorn, and candy. Our drink selection includes soda, bottled water, beer, and wine.
- I am planning on eating in the full service galley, how much money should I bring?
- Approximately $15.00 should cover the cost of your lunch, as well as some wine or beer.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes. You can bring your own food and beverages, but outside alcohol cannot be brought onto the boat. Please limit your cooler size to less than 20 inches. Beer and wine are available for purchase in the full service galley.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- A small one for your food and beverages (no alcohol!). Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed, so as to not deprive yourself or everyone else of space.
- How close do we get to the whales?
- Once spotted we must stay back and maintain a respectful distance of a minimum of 100 yards then let the whale do what the whale wants. Sometimes they will be very friendly and approach us at which time the engines are shut down.
- Can I touch or swim with the whales?
- Unfortunately, no. We are there to observe and learn. Besides, our waters are too cold!
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, there is a restroom on the boat.
- What should I wear?
- Warm layered clothing and rubber soled shoes are best. It is always much cooler on the ocean than on land, so it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. Once you become comfortable you can always peel a layer off. If rain is in the forecast, a poncho or raincoat may be necessary.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Where does my trip end?
- Your trip will end in the exact place that it starts from.
- Where will we be going?
- In the winter, we follow the gray whale migration routes. During the summer, the whales are active 8-10 miles off the shore.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You may choose to wear a life jacket if you feel you need one.
- Are dogs or pets allowed on the boat?
- No pets are allowed on our boat, but we may be able to allow service dogs on a case-by-case basis.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- Our boats are accessible to those with walkers and canes. Though we are often able to accommodate people in wheelchairs as well, our boats are not wheelchair accessible by average standards. If you are in a wheelchair, please keep in mind that steps leading to the boats prevent you from wheeling directly on board. As a result, you will need to be able to walk up the 4 stairs with help or have friends with you that will have to physically carry you from the dock, on to the boat, and back into your chair.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- Trips depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. HOWEVER, check-in for the trip happens at Stagnaro’s office at 2896 Soquel Avenue, Santa Cruz. The staff will then direct you to the boat, which is about a ten minute drive away. Don't worry - exact meeting location details and directions will be provided upon ticket purchase!
- How early should I arrive to check in before my trip?
- Please arrive AT LEAST 45 minutes before your trip begins. Remember to take traffic into account when making your plans, which is much heavier during the weekends and in the afternoons.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes. Indoor seating and awnings are available if you need to get out of the sunlight.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Please keep your coolers under 20 inches in length. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Stagnaro Charter Boats are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Not suitable for pregnant women.
- Pregnant women are not advised to attend due to the inherent motion of the boat and safety precautions. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
Stagnaro Charter Boats
This historical landmark business is still leading the way in ocean fun on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Today's fourth generation Stagnaro Charter Boats will surely make your trip fun and memorable.