Once the home of the landed gentry (the Lorillards of tobacco fame) it became a mecca for Italian immigrants at the turn of the 20th Century. They came to build the Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo. (A visit to either is a great way to enhance your day in the Bronx.)
During your exploration of Belmont you will:
- See the work of one of the most talented stone cutters of his day, Attilio Piccarilli, creator of the Lincoln Memorial.
- Visit The Arthur Avenue Retail Market: the first enclosed market in the city.
- See the cigar rollers at La Casa Grande Tobacco Co. A favorite of the cast of the Sopranos, Rudy Guiliani and many other cigar afficionados.
- Visit the corner where Dion and the Belmonts sang a cappella.
- Visit multiple unique food shops and taste some of their special treats.
- Witness a cheese making demonstration.
- Learn fun facts about the area along the way.
What Is Not Included?
prior to meeting the group. On Saturdays a "City" ticket is available
on other days an "off peak" round trip
Round trip is approximately $9.00.
- How much and what type of food is served on the tour?
- We taste about 5-6 different foods. While each tour is different, we generally taste pasta, olives, cheese, pizza, sausage, crusty bread and canollis.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) by including a "Message to Seller" when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually impossible for us to adjust in time to accommodate.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and can only be purchased with a Visa or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- What is the maximum number of participants?
- There is a maximum of 20 people per tour.
- How much walking is involved?
- We walk for about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Generally tours are less than a mile.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- Tours go out rain or shine. We are in and out of many shops throughout the tour but we do recommend that you dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we may visit along the way, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Are children and strollers allowed on the tour?
- Yes, the “Walkabouts” are family friendly and are conducted at a leisurely pace.
- Can I meet you in the Bronx on Arthur Avenue?
- Yes, you are welcome to meet the tour in the Bronx. Please include a "Message to Seller" when you make your purchase and someone will contact you with instructions to the meeting location in the Bronx.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately wheelchairs are not recommended on the tour due to narrow sidewalks, traffic and seasonal weather conditions.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes. To inquire about a SusanSez NYC Walkabouts gift certificate, please click "Contact SusanSez" and email your request, along with your contact information.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes. If you are interested in booking a private tour, please contact SusanSez NYC Walkabouts by clicking "Contact SusanSez" to the left of the page.
- Is transportation to the Bronx included?
SusanSez NYC Walkabouts
Susan has a lifelong interest in New York, history (Hunter College BA in History), people (MSW-Rutgers), food, art, culture, shopping and having fun. Susan has combined all these interests in her "Walkabouts" to provide an authentic New York Experience.