Our exploration includes sampling the food, checking out the shops and learning the history of this fascinating neighborhood- the gateway to America for generation of immigrants- their first glimpse of life in the USA.
As it constantly reinvents itself the shops and businesses reflect its most recent rebirth- the destination for designer boutiques, cozy restaurants, lounges and music venues.
Stops will include but are not limited to historic synagogues, a Buddhist Temple, the Essex Street Market, the best deli in NYC and other food shops that made LES famous as well as the newest additions to the neighborhood.
Tastings will include doughnuts, pickles, salami, penny candy, farmstead cheese, and dumplings and more.
The tour is approximately 2 ˝ Hours and the price includes food.
- How much and what type of food is served on the tour?
- We taste about 5-6 different foods. While each tour is different, we generally taste artisanal cheese, doughnuts, bagels, pickles, salami, paninis and other speicialties of the area.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) by including a "Message to Seller" when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually impossible for us to adjust in time to accommodate.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and can only be purchased with a Visa or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- What is the maximum number of participants?
- There is a maximum of 20 people per tour.
- How much walking is involved?
- We walk for about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Generally tours are less than a mile.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- Tours go out rain or shine. We are in and out of many shops throughout the tour but we do recommend that you dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we may visit along the way, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Are children and strollers allowed on the tour?
- Yes, the “Walkabouts” are family friendly and are conducted at a leisurely pace.
- Can I meet you in the Bronx on Arthur Avenue?
- Yes, you are welcome to meet the tour in the Bronx. Please include a "Message to Seller" when you make your purchase and someone will contact you with instructions to the meeting location in the Bronx.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately wheelchairs are not recommended on the tour due to narrow sidewalks, traffic and seasonal weather conditions.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes. To inquire about a SusanSez NYC Walkabouts gift certificate, please click 'Contact SusanSez' and email your request, along with your contact information.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes. If you are interested in booking a private tour, please contact SusanSez NYC Walkabouts by clicking "Contact SusanSez" to the left of the page.
SusanSez NYC Walkabouts
Susan has a lifelong interest in New York, history (Hunter College BA in History), people (MSW-Rutgers), food, art, culture, shopping and having fun. Susan has combined all these interests in her "Walkabouts" to provide an authentic New York Experience.