Our 90-Minute guided “Desert Walk” provides guests with a guided tour of the beautiful desert trails surrounding Taliesin West and offers stunning views of the surrounding vistas. Guests will gain a first hand understanding of how Wright and his apprentices used the natural materials found in the desert to build Taliesin West.
The Desert Walk is great to combine with one of our other tours to get the full experience of Taliesin West. We recommend taking this tour along with the Insights Tour. A discount is available if book the two tours on the same day...Check out the Combo tour at the left for more information.
Explore the beauty of the desert and discover how it has become a part of Taliesin West.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Insights tour excellent
|PamelaHaze||Thu, Apr 10 10:45 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
I needed to switch from the desert tour to an insights tour around the grounds and inside parts of the Winter Home and Studio, due to my schedule and a knee injury. Celia was my guide, and she was excellent, providing detailed accounts of FLW's philosophy, his history of coming to the Southwest with Olgavanna, the priniciples of his architecture and how they related specifically to Taliesen West, symbols, and a few anecdotes. I feel especially qualified to rate this tour as I spent a few years as an Interpreter at the Oak Park Home and Studio when it was first beng restored in the 80s. I learned a lot about this aspect of FLW's career from the tour.
|russwahl||Tue, Apr 1 10:45 AM||Male||70+||Local||Other|
I enjoyed the walk. I have been in aw of Frank Ll0oyd Wright since I was a teenage and was thinking of being an architect myself..
Great Walk and learned a ton!
|Mrdorn1||Tue, Mar 25 10:45 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Chris was a great tour guide and I learned so many things about desert cactus, wildlife, and environment that I never knew. He had a great sense of humor and I would recommend this tour for anyone of any age! Make sure to bring two bottles of water to stay hydrated.
really enjoyed tour and guide
|Vicki4530||Sat, Feb 22 10:45 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
great job by our tour guide. I loved his focus on the desert flora and fauna - very interesting.
|jodrobina||Sat, Feb 15 10:45 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The walk was very informative but not particularly in regards to Taliesen West
|stjconsultin||Thu, Jan 23 10:45 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
This tour provided beautiful views of the desert along with an explanation of the various plants that inspired Wright not only at Taliesin West but in his other designs as well.
Enjoyable, informative, beautiful weather.
|carolynwhyte||Tue, Jan 7 10:45 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Our guide was excellent. Gave us a good understanding of FLW's vision. Also, some interesting facts about the desert vegetation.
|bross8||Tue, Dec 31, 13 10:45 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Provides a good background on mountain plant and animal life.
Loved the hike and learned a lot.
|Dnedwek||Sat, Dec 28, 13 10:45 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My wife and I picked this tour because it seemed to sell out quickly, and we weren't disappointed. Learning just the little that we could in two hours completely changed the way we looked at the desert landscape. Our guide was informative and entertaining, and through him we saw the desert through new eyes.
Great information, thank you.
|marycarlson||Sat, Dec 7, 13 10:45 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
The person was as enthusiastic as the walk itself. Very informative and would recommend to others. Actually, because of him, I would like to start volunteering at Taliesin West. Hopefully there is somewhere online I can sign up or send my resume. Thanks so much.
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- Unfortunately, children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. If you have young children we recommend you click on the "Calendar of Other Activities" link to the left and check out one of our other tours that might be more appropriate for kids.
- What about bad weather?
- The majority of this tour takes place outside and will run in light or moderate weather, but may be cancelled in the case of severe weather. You will be notified if the tour is cancelled and will be allowed to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- How much walking will we do and what is the terrain like?
- We generally walk approximately 1.25 miles along dirt paths through the desert on this tour. This can include some uneven and rocky ground with cacti along the path so appropriate footwear is required for this tour.
- How do I receive the Desert Walk combo discount?
- A combo discount is offered if you take the Desert Walk and the Insights Tour on the same day. These discounted tickets are available through the "Insights Tour & Desert Walk Combo Tour" activity. For more information about this tour, click on the link to the left.
- Can we explore Taliesin West on our own or do we need to take a tour?
- All tours of Taliesin West are guided and guests are not allowed to explore on their own. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge but guests must have tour tickets to view the remainder of the property.
- Is Taliesin West handicap accessible?
- Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark built between 1937 and 1959. As such, it was not designed or built to contemporary accessibility standards. This tour in particular is not handicap accessible due to the dirt paths with uneven and rocky ground that we walk on.
- Do you allow photography?
- Guests are welcome to take photos for their personal use. There are a few areas where we do not allow photography, but your tour guide will alert you to these areas during the tour. If you are looking to use photos in a professional capacity, please contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to make arrangements.
- Is Taliesin West open all year round?
- Yes, we operate tours throughout the entire year. However, the Desert Walk does not run all year round and only runs from November through April. Please be sure to check our "Calendar of Other Activities" for the exact tour schedule on the day you plan to visit.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes, Anneliese's Bookstore is located next to the main parking lot and stocks the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright Collection® products and books. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge and its regular hours of operation are 8:30am to 6:00pm.
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We recommend wearing comfortable clothing and we require wearing shoes appropriate for walking on desert trails. We recommend closed-toe shoes with a sturdy sole. Guests wearing flip-flops or sandals will not be allowed to participate. Since the tour does take place outside, we also recommend bringing a bottle of water and an umbrella. While we have a limited number of umbrellas available for guests, they can come in handy both on rainy and sunny days in the desert.
- Are food and drinks available for purchase?
- While we have a soda machine outside the bookstore, we don't have food available for purchase. We do not recommend bringing outside food or drink on your tour, unless you'd like to bring a bottle of water, therefore we suggest grabbing something to eat either before or after your tour.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes, there is a free parking lot for all guests.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- What about guests with special needs?
- Guests with special needs who are interested in visiting us but choose not to take the walking tour may request an Interpretive Guide and view a video on the history of Taliesin West while on site. Visually and hearing impaired guests who wish to bring someone to provide assistance on the tour such as a sign language interpreter may do so and the person providing assistance will not be charged admission.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you allow private parties or events?
- Spacious Taliesin West is well suited for hosting exclusive corporate receptions and dinners. Groups ranging in size from 20 to 120 have experienced memorable evenings at Taliesin West using the many indoor and outdoor spaces. For more information about setting up a private event, please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to get in touch with our staff.
- Do you offer large group tours?
- Yes, group tours are available and tours can be custom designed for prearranged groups of 15 or more. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss.
- Can we do a private tour?
- With advance notice (seven day notice preferred), individuals with very small groups may schedule a tour by an architect or personal guide. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss pricing and reservations.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Children under 12 are not permitted on this tour.
- Children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. Please consider another tour option if you will be attending with young children.
Just minutes from downtown Scottsdale, Taliesin West is Frank Lloyd Wright’s desert masterpiece. In 1937, Wright and his apprentices built an architectural wonder out of the stone and sand that surrounded them in the Sonoran desert on the foothills of the McDowell Mountains. Many of those apprentices (“the Fellowship”) who worked and lived alongside Mr. Wright still live at Taliesin West, as do the current students and faculty of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture -- making Taliesin West an ongoing, vibrant community.
The Taliesin West experience is both immersive and powerful. Guests are fully welcomed into every room and space—nothing on the tour is behind ropes or under glass. The tours, which include such attractions as the Cabaret Theater, Music Pavilion, Garden Room, Desert Shelters, and Mr. Wright’s living quarters and private office, are filled with surprise, majestic views, and intimate interior details. Each tour inspires visitors with the innovative principles, beautiful creations, technological experiments, and unparalleled body of work of Frank Lloyd Wright. As a result, guests find the Taliesin West tour experience delightfully engaging and deeply relevant. While photos and descriptions may give you a hint of what’s in store, there is no substitute for experiencing it first-hand.
Come to Taliesin West and be inspired.