The romance of Taliesin West comes to life during our special evening tour, the 2-Hour Night Lights Tour. The structures, lit from within, appear as sculptures and the renown fire-breathing dragon sculpture makes a guest appearance while Wright's desert masterpiece glows warmly like a jewel spotlighted by the bright Arizona moon. You'll experience a truly dramatic and romantic setting.
This tour incorporates all the spaces shown on the Insights Tour, along with some additional sites and some light refreshments. Some of the highlights include:
- The living quarters and the dramatic Taliesin West “Garden Room.”
- Cabaret Theater
- Music Pavilion
- Seminar Theater
- Frank Lloyd Wright's private office
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- Yes, children can attend the tour, however, this tour is not recommended for younger children. As parents, you should use your best judgement as to whether your child will enjoy the tour. We do offer a reduced price Youth ticket for children ages 4-12 and infants and toddlers under 4 years old can come for free.
- What about bad weather?
- Taliesin West was built to be a part of its surroundings, therefore the tour is a combination of viewing interior spaces that are connected by outdoor walkways. The tour will run in moderate weather, but may be cancelled in the case of severe weather. You will be notified if the tour is cancelled and will be allowed to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- Can we explore Taliesin West on our own or do we need to take a tour?
- All tours of Taliesin West are guided and guests are not allowed to explore on their own. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge but guests must have tour tickets to view the remainder of the property.
- What type of refreshments are included on the tour?
- About halfway through the tour we serve some light refreshments, which often include cookies and a beverage.
- Is Taliesin West handicap accessible?
- Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark built between 1937 and 1959. As such, it was not designed or built to contemporary accessibility standards. The pathway for tours includes gravel walkways, uneven steps and stairs. Narrow, steep-sloped ramps over steps are available for guests to use at their own discretion throughout the tour. Ramps are 26” in width with slopes ranging from 21 to 27 degrees.
- Do you allow photography?
- Guests are welcome to take photos for their personal use. There are a few areas where we do not allow photography, but your tour guide will alert you to these areas during the tour. If you are looking to use photos in a professional capacity, please contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to make arrangements.
- Is Taliesin West open all year round?
- Yes, we operate tours throughout the entire year. However, the Night Lights Tour does not run all year round and generally runs from February - May, September - October and during the holidays in December. Please be sure to check our "Calendar of Other Activities" for the exact tour schedule on the day you plan to visit.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes, Anneliese's Bookstore is located next to the main parking lot and stocks the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright Collection® products and books. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge and its regular hours of operation are 8:30am to 6:00pm.
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We suggest guests wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Since a portion of the tour takes place outside, be prepared for the day's weather and note there are gravel walkways that connect the buildings, so please be sure to wear appropriate shoes. We also recommend bringing a bottle of water and an umbrella. While we have a limited number of umbrellas available for guests, they can come in handy both on rainy and sunny days in the desert.
- Are food and drinks available for purchase?
- While we have a soda machine outside the bookstore, we don't have food available for purchase. However, keep in mind this tour includes some light refreshments half way through, often cookies and a beverage. We do not recommend bringing outside food or drink on your tour, unless you'd like to bring a bottle of water.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes, there is a free parking lot for all guests.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- What about guests with special needs?
- Guests with special needs who are interested in visiting us but choose not to take the walking tour may request an Interpretive Guide and view a video on the history of Taliesin West while on site. Visually and hearing impaired guests who wish to bring someone to provide assistance on the tour such as a sign language interpreter may do so and the person providing assistance will not be charged admission.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you allow private parties or events?
- Spacious Taliesin West is well suited for hosting exclusive corporate receptions and dinners. Groups ranging in size from 20 to 300 have experienced memorable evenings at Taliesin West using the many indoor and outdoor spaces. For more information about setting up a private event, please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to get in touch with our staff.
- Do you offer large group tours?
- Yes, group tours are available and tours can be custom designed for prearranged groups of 15 or more. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss.
- Can we do a private tour?
- With advance notice (seven day notice preferred), individuals with very small groups may schedule a tour by an architect or personal guide. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss pricing and reservations.
Just minutes from downtown Scottsdale, Taliesin West is Frank Lloyd Wright’s desert masterpiece. In 1937, Wright and his apprentices built an architectural wonder out of the stone and sand that surrounded them in the Sonoran desert on the foothills of the McDowell Mountains. Many of those apprentices (“the Fellowship”) who worked and lived alongside Mr. Wright still live at Taliesin West, as do the current students and faculty of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture -- making Taliesin West an ongoing, vibrant community.
The Taliesin West experience is both immersive and powerful. Guests are fully welcomed into every room and space—nothing on the tour is behind ropes or under glass. The tours, which include such attractions as the Cabaret Theater, Music Pavilion, Garden Room, Desert Shelters, and Mr. Wright’s living quarters and private office, are filled with surprise, majestic views, and intimate interior details. Each tour inspires visitors with the innovative principles, beautiful creations, technological experiments, and unparalleled body of work of Frank Lloyd Wright. As a result, guests find the Taliesin West tour experience delightfully engaging and deeply relevant. While photos and descriptions may give you a hint of what’s in store, there is no substitute for experiencing it first-hand.
Come to Taliesin West and be inspired.