Do you believe in ghosts and creature of the night? Whether your answer is yes or no, almost everyone enjoys a ghost story or an inexplicable tale of the unusual.
On this 1½ hour, family-friendly walking tour, you will:
- See the site of the Capitol Phantoms
- Hear stories of the Peg-legged ghost
- Sneak a peak of the Yarborough House ghosts
- Visit the Raleigh City Cemetery
- And end the tour at at Moore’s Square, one of Raleigh’s two remaining green spaces/parks established in 1792.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
it was okay except it was bikefest
|Logbuc91||Sat, Sep 27 7:30 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Don't go during bikefest
|dfnolan||Sat, Sep 20 7:30 PM||Male||50-59||Combination||Family With Children|
Sean was great. Would have liked to go in a site. Otherwise good way to spend a evening with family.
Distracted Guide, Inconsiderate of time...
|slickshoes10||Sat, Jul 26 7:30 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
My husband and I are new to Raleigh and thought this tour would be a great way to learn about some of the "haunted history". We have taken tours like this in other cities and absolutely loved them - why would this be any different? The "guide" made all of the difference.... At the beginning he let us know that he was sometimes long winded and the tour may last 2 hours instead of 90 minutes. We had plans to meet friends for a drink after the tour at 9:30. We texted them and let them know we might just be a little late due to the initial warning we were given. No problem. However, this tour lasted MUCH LONGER. At 9:25 we still had 2 more scenes to visit (the graveyard and Moore Square). The guide continuously got distracted by other groups on the streets, motorcycles, loud cars, and trolley pubs. Every time he would see something like this, the tour would stop and he would make obnoxious comments about everything happening around us. The group wasn't distracted and could still hear him fine - he was just so focused on all of his "interruptions". This really ruined any sort of spooky mood that was trying to be created. Also - the guides should try to "dress the part" more. Our guide had no sort of costume or even tshirt that let us know he was the guide - just a regular guy on the street. The whole atmosphere that makes events like this fun - was missing! At 9:25 when we realized that there were still 2 more stops and we were only venturing further out of the city, we decided to bail. We were accompanied by 6 other people that needed to leave and had not expected the extended time. Just before we left, the guide called me out in the middle of the group and asked why I had such a "pained look" on my face. I was extremely embarrassed and felt that i was singled out in the group. I might have had a much more pleasant look if the tour had not "dragged on" and caused me to delay other plans. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this tour to friends or strangers. Save your money.
|debruce21||Sat, Jul 26 7:30 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We really enjoyed the tour', history, and stories our guide told us. We really learned a great deal and would recommend to anyone interested in ghost stories.
Very good and knowledgable tour guide,
|matthewsvl||Sat, Jul 12 7:30 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Brad our tour guide was SO fun, he was knowledgeable, kept us entertained and informed and all in all, very fun!
Nice ghost walk
|dwhitt||Sat, Jun 7 7:30 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Other|
Very nice ghost walk around Raleigh with plenty of historical color added to provide a nice context. Not quite as "ghosty" as some I have been on, but still delving into the spooky past of Raleigh and environs with enough detail to prod your imagination. The guide (Shawn) was very knowledgeable and well informed on local history. The tour was lots of fun and definitely worth doing! Give it a try!
overpriced and not enough horror
|LexiAkeyson||Sat, May 10 7:30 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
This tour was a bit too much money for what we got. We even left halfway through because we were so bored. The tour was more of a history tour, and our tour guide didn't make the horror stories scary or interesting.
Overall Fun Experience
|wilso228||Sat, May 3 7:30 PM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The trip wasn't as scary as I had hoped but the information and experience made for a nice tour of the city.
Fun and entertaining.
|Clane63||Sat, Apr 26 7:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
Fun and entertaining.
|scombs1969||Sat, Apr 12 7:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
I had been on other haunted tours and by comparison it seems like they had to stretch to come up with entertaining stories.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Is the tour suitable for children? What type of ticket should I purchase for a very young child?
- The tour is appropriate for kids of all ages, but please note that this is a 1 ½ hour haunted tour, so you will want to keep your child's attention span in mind. Children ages 8 to 14 will have a reduced-price ticket. Children under 8 can attend free of charge and do not need a ticket.
- Do we go inside any buildings?
- We do not go inside any of the buildings we see on the tour. However, you may be able to return and explore your favorite locations at another time!
- Does the tour start and end at the same place?
- No, our tour ends at Moore Square, just a couple blocks from the meeting location.
- How far do we walk on the tour? What is the pace?
- We will walk about a mile at a leisurely pace.
- What about inclement weather?
- Tours will run rain or shine. We ask that you check the weather forecast and dress accordingly if inclement weather is predicted. You are welcome to bring your own umbrella if needed.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Bathrooms will not be available during the tour. Please plan to use facilities beforehand.
- Will locals enjoy the tour as well or is it mostly for tourists?
- Absolutely! While you may be familiar with our route and some of the stops, you will also have the opportunity to discover new things about North Carolina's capitol city! Additionally, this tour is an excellent way to entertain out-of-town guests, entertain a youth group or encourage professional team building.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, at the moment we can only offer tours in English, but you are welcome to arrange for an interpreter. Please note that if you are accompanied by an interpreter, they will need a full priced ticket.
- Is there anywhere to buy food or drinks along the way? Can I bring my own?
- While no other food or drinks are included in the ticket price, feel free to eat beforehand or pack light snacks and drinks. Food and drinks will not be available for purchase along the way.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes, cameras are permitted and we encourage you to take photos!
- Does the tour guide accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are not included in the ticket price. While not required, tips are accepted and always appreciated by the tour guides.
- Is the tour wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- Yes, the tour is both wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- Is there public parking available nearby?
- There is a parking garage that we suggest very close to the meeting location. Specific parking directions will be included in the meeting location details after purchasing tickets.
- Can we shop during the tour?
- It is important that we stay on schedule, so please refrain from shopping during the tour.
- Are dogs/pets allowed on the tour?
- Yes, dogs and other small pets are allowed on the tour.
- Is smoking allowed on the tour?
- No, smoking is not permitted on the tour.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase and make great gifts for family and friends. If you have any questions about purchasing or redeeming gift certificates, please click on the “Contact TobaccoRoad” link on the left side of this page.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes, a private tour option is available! You pick the date and time for your special occasion or group as we work around your schedule. To inquire about booking a private tour, please click on the “Contact TobaccoRoad” link on the left of this page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Pictures and video may be taken during the tour.
- During the tour, your guide may take pictures and video that we may later use on our website or for marketing or social media purposes. Please let your guide know at the beginning of your tour if you do not wish to be included in any pictures or videos.
Tobacco Road Tours
As the Triangle area’s only full service tour operator, including event & meeting planning, group tours and daily professionally guided motorized and walking tours, Tobacco Road Tours has a commitment to sharing the traditions from North Carolinians before us, which inspires the creation for each of our tours. Whether you are traveling with us through historic Durham or Raleigh, or exploring the area's history on one of our tours, North Carolina’s Piedmont region provides an adventure that cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Along with our dedication to sharing what North Carolina’s Piedmont region has to offer, we are committed to our values. Caring for our guests is always our number one priority. We make sure that our tours meet and exceed your expectations by offering quality tours packed with interesting history, fun facts, and an experience you will never forget.
Every tour is an extravaganza, complete with laughter, time honored stories and FUN. Grab a group of friends and join us!