In our 90-minute introductory class at Lake Johnson, our knowledgeable instructors will teach you:
You'll be provided with professional instruction, a quality SUP board that's extra-wide for extra stability (perfect for beginners), a height-adjustable paddle, and a required PFD (personal flotation device).
SUP with the best! With Triangle Glides, you'll learn on the highest quality equipment, with the best training staff, and enjoy an ideal learning environment on beautiful Lake Johnson!
All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before taking the class. (It is downloadable from our website.) Print, sign, and bring it to class fully completed.
This SUP lesson is conducted at scenic Lake Johnson in Raleigh. The lake has a snack shop, modern bathrooms, and a waterfront deck where you can relax before or after your class. Advance ticket purchase required. No walk-ups.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- You must purchase tickets for your lesson in advance. No ticket sales are allowed at the lake. Be aware that classes do sell out, so book well ahead, if possible, to ensure your desired date. For your convenience, you can book online and on the phone. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Do I have to sign a waiver?
- All participants must sign a liability waiver before participating. The waiver is downloadable from our website. We prefer that you print, sign and bring it with you to class already fully completed. Ages 12-17 must have an adult or guardian sign for them and they must be accompanied by a responsible adult during the lesson.
- Is there a minimium or maximum age?
- For our lessons, our minimum age is 12; there is no maximum age. You must be physically fit enough for an active water activity. You will be wearing a PFD (i.e. a life jacket), but you should know how to swim and not have a fear of water. If you are not sure if a group lesson is for you, we also offer private SUP lessons where you will get one-on-one instruction.
- If I'm pregnant, can I still participate?
- No. For safety reasons, pregnant women are not allowed to participate in our SUP classes.
- Is it hard to ride a stand up paddleboard?
- It is easy for most people to learn the basics of stand up paddleboarding. The quality boards we use are wide for extra stability and we selected them especially for their suitability for beginners and for lakes.
- What if it rains or the weather is bad?
- In the case of dangerous weather, such as lightning or high winds, or if lake management closes the lake due to unfavorable conditions prior to your lesson time, the tour will be rescheduled (a date of your choosing, space available, from our posted schedule). If you prefer, you can opt for a gift card instead, for the value you paid. Gift cards are transferable and do not expire. If the weather turns unfavorable during your lesson and the class must come to an early end, the class will be considered fully complete (no rescheduling will occur) if more than half the lesson time has already elapsed.
- How much time is spent in the water on the boards?
- Approximately 1 hour will be spent in the water on the boards (of the 90 minute lesson).
- Can I bring my own board?
- Yes, guests are welcome to bring their own equipment - however, the price is the same whether you bring your own equipment or not.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend suitable attire for a water activity, such as shorts or trunks and a t-shirt. Feel free to wear a bathing suit if you'd like, although it's not required. Clothing and anything else brought on the board may get wet. Note that swimming is not allowed at the lake.
- Can I store anything on the board?
- There are bungie cords on the boards that will hold your water bottle and sandals. That's about it. There is no other storage. There is no space for purses or bulky items. Anything you bring in your pockets or on your person should be minimal. It also has the potential to get wet. Triangle Glides takes no responsibility for your personal items.
- Do I have to wear a personal flotation device (PFD)?
- Yes. We provide it for you. Even if you are an Olympic-caliber swimmer, you are required to wear a PFD during the activity.
- Is there a restroom available?
- Lake Johnson has modern bathrooms with flush toilets. These are available to you before and after class.
- Can I buy food, drinks or souvenirs?
- Lake Johnson has a snack shop where you can purchase food and beverages. The grounds offer picnic tables and a waterfront deck. If you are interested in buying Triangle Glides logo t-shirts, ball caps, or gift cards, we have those available at our downtown Raleigh shop, but they are not sold at the lake.
- Do the instructors accept gratuity?
- Yes! Our instructors are dedicated to providing you with the best experience! If you love the class you take with us, please let your instructors know it. Gratuities are gladly accepted, and appreciated. But of course, completely at the customer's discretion.
- Can I book a private SUP lesson?
- Definitely! Please use the "Contact TriGlides" link to arrange a private lesson for yourself or your group.
- Do you rent or sell SUP boards and equipment?
- Yes and yes! We are authorized dealers of a wide range of popular boards and accessories from top-rated brands. We do a lot of research and handpick the brands we carry! Talk to us about your SUP needs. We also offer board rentals and packages (board/paddle/leash). They are by reservation only (pick up & return is at our downtown Raleigh store) and rentals are only available to experienced stand up paddlers, such as guests who've taken a previous lesson with us.
- Can I buy a gift card for SUP classes?
- Yes! Please use the "Contact TriGlides" link to request a gift card for our SUP classes. Our gift cards can be purchased in any amount.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must meet minimum age requirement and wear PFDs.
- The minimum age is 12. Those who are 12-17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult or guardian during class. All participants will be required to wear Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs).
- All participants must sign a waiver.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before taking the class. The waiver must be downloaded from our website, printed, signed and completed in full prior to class. Minors (ages 12-17) must have an adult or guardian sign for them.
- The activity is not suitable for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, pregnant women may not participate in classes.
- Triangle Glides is not responsible for personal items.
- If you bring personal items to your SUP class, including any of your own equipment, Triangle Glides is not responsible for them. Be aware that anything you bring on your board or on your person has the potential to get wet.
If you want to "glide by land," our popular history-filled Segway tours of downtown Raleigh are just the thing for you! You'll learn how to ride the technological marvel called the Segway personal transporter, and our expert guides will lead you on a memorable journey to explore the highlights of our great Capital City.
Or if "glide by water" is more to your liking, you can join us at Raleigh's Lake Wheeler or Lake Johnson for an Intro to Stand Up Paddling. Called SUP for short, it's the fastest-growing watersport in the world. In our small group lessons, we'll provide the essential knowledge you need to get you started in this sport. SUP offers an amazing total body workout and it's so fun!