Since the early 1900s, art has played a major role in defining Santa Barbara as a city. Whether it's tucked away in a winding paseo or hidden in plain sight in a busy shopping plaza, art can be found in the most surprising places – if you know where to look!
Our Everyday Art Walk focuses on unique artwork surrounding the urban area of Santa Barbara. We call it Everyday Art because you might walk past it everyday and never really notice it's there! Some of it is in plain sight… and well, some of it is located in the most unexpected and often overlooked places. Our walk is for the inquisitive and the culturally curious.
On this tour, you will:
- Immerse yourself in Santa Barbara’s rich culture and history as you explore an extraordinary array of art - from intricate mosiacs and murals that are dispersed throughout the city (some with over 200,000 tiles) to statues that are often mistaken for real people!
- Learn about the artists and inspiration behind the paintings, murals, mosaics, sculptures, and fountains interspersed throughout Santa Barbara’s historic buildings and walkways.
- Explore the lineage of art in Santa Barbara while gaining a unique understanding of the city’s artistic heritage.
To inquire about setting up a custom, private tour, please click on the "Contact WalkingSB" link - we will get back to you shortly to coordinate your special event!
What Is Not Included?
- How long is the tour?
- The time varies - generally most private tours run the same length as our public tours but we can do shorter or longer tours depending on what level of interest the walker has in the various topics.
- Are there tours on Sundays or holidays?
- Yes; however, we are not open on all holidays for practical reasons, as many key establishments are not open and so this limits the opportunities that the tour normally offers.
- Is the tour wheelchair or stroller accessible?
- Yes, the tour route is wheel friendly! Wheelchairs and strollers are welcome.
- Can I bring a pet?
- While we love pets, we are unable to bring them on the public tours due to insurance liability. We are pet people and so if bringing yours along is important to you - a private tour is the perfect thing for you!
- What should I wear?
- Comfortable shoes are a must on all walking tours but please consult the weather the morning of the tour to make sure you are ready for whatever weather the sky holds for us. If you are not familiar with the area, we are a coastal town, so the weather is generally pleasant all year round but if you are not a coastal dweller it can seem chilly due to the onshore breeze. We recommend you bring a light jacket or sweater in case the sun does not show - and please don't be disappointed as no sun merely means that there will not be shadows in the photos that you take on the tour!
- How do I book a private tour?
- To request a private tour, please click on the "Contact WalkingSB" link - we will get back to you soon to make arrangements.
Santa Barbara Walking Tours
We strive to make each tour an indelible memory experienced at the visitor's own choosing and at the visitor's own pace. All those who visit to leave Santa Barbara loving it as much as we do!