We hoist the main sail of the Tahoe Cruz and unfurl the jib as we set sail down the West Shore and later tack over to deep water as the afternoon breeze freshens.
Make the afternoon aboard the Tahoe Cruz whatever you want it to be! Passengers are welcome to lounge in the soothing, gentle breeze on the sundeck or join in on the excitement as the captain heels her over. Hold onto your hats and cervezas and kick back to Buffett tunes as the captain takes you down the West Shore.
Highlights of the sail include:
- The historical Erman Mansion at Sugar Pine Point
- Breathtaking views of Eagle Rock, Rubicon Peak and Mount Ellis
- The Sunnyside Resort
- Panoramic views of the lake as well as lake shore estates
- The surrounding mountain peaks of the Sierrra Nevada mountains
- "Fleur du Lac," once the Estate of Henry Kaiser and later an on-site location for the filming of The Godfather
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as cruises tend to sell out well in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- When does your season run?
- We operate daily beginning in May, and our season runs through late October.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend bringing a sweatshirt or a light jacket and some soft soled shoes. Dress appropriately for the weather, but keep in mind that it is often significantly cooler out on the water than it is on land.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks?
- While we do provide complimentary beer, wine, soda, bottled water, and appetizers, you are welcome to bring your own food and beverages.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there parking nearby?
- There is free parking available at the marina from which we depart. Exact departure details will be provide to you immediately upon purchasing your tickets.
- Where does the cruise finish?
- Our cruise will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- What happens in the case of bad weather?
- The cruise usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to departure time. If you have purchased tickets for a cruise that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- Is there an age limit?
- There is no age limit for the cruises. Coast guard regulations require that all participants, regardless of age, have a ticket. This includes infants and other young children. If you are bringing a child 12 years of age and under, you can purchase a reduced price Child ticket.
- Is the Tahoe Cruz safe?
- Absolutely. The Tahoe Cruz is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is always a crew member on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, and life jackets should you feel you need one. There is also a private marine head (bathroom) below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Tahoe Cruz is a steady vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Can I fish or swim during the sail?
- No, both fishing and swimming on our boat is prohibited.
- Can I stow anything during the sail?
- There is an area where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior sails.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate?
- Yes. To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Contact TahoeSail" link on the left of the page and a representative will call you back shortly to process your order.
- Can I book a private cruise?
- Yes, private cruises on the Tahoe Cruz can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private cruise, please contact us by clicking the "Contact TahoeSail" link on the left of the page.
Tahoe Sailing Charters
Captain Jim and Captain Mike are both U.S. coast guard certified skippers. They have been running Tahoe Sailing Charters for 3 years and are eager to share their love of sailing with you!
Guests may enjoy taking the wheel or just relax and let the captain and crew set sail. Complimentary beer, wine, and soft drinks are included with every voyage. A full-length deck sound system adds to the fun.