Join us on a musical drive to see your favorite Memphis sights. Learn the musical history of the city, famous for its blues, rock, gospel, and soul. It's the only tour in town to put Memphis' musical heritage in the hands of professional musicians, who combine story, comedy, and live music to tell the story of Memphis.
On this tour, you will see:
- Sun Studio, the studio that launched the careers of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash
- Beale Street, the center of Memphis entertainment
- Stax Studio, home to legenday soul artists Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, and Booker T. and the MGs.
- Lorraine Motel, site of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination
- Cotton Row
- Peabody Hotel
- Overton Park, home to the Memphis Zoo, Brooks Museum, and the stage where Elvis and Johnny Cash first performed.
- Historic Central Gardens, home to beautiful early 20th century mansions.
- St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital
- The Pyramid
- Early homes of Elvis, B.B. King, and Johnny Cash
What Is Not Included?
This tour is a quick, fun overview drive of Memphis. While we stop at attractions, there is not time on this tour to get off the bus. If you are looking for a tour that offers visits to attractions, see our Extended Mojo Tour, our Memphis Discovery Tour, or our Graceland Tour.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Many of our tours sell out. For that reason, advance reservations are strongly recommended.
- Can children go on the tour?
- We love children! Children between the ages of 7 and 12 have a reduced priced ticket. Children under 7 can come on the tour for free but must also secure a ticket.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tour will run rain or shine. As we are usually in the bus or inside, rain should not be a problem. In the event of unsafe or severe weather that would force us to cancel the tour, you would be able to reschedule subject to availability or receive credit for a future event.
- If the tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not have waiting lists for our tours. If the Mojo Tour is sold out for a particular time, check to see if there is availability on the Extended Mojo Tour at the same date and time. If there is, we can usually convert the Extended Mojo Tour ticket into a ticket for the Mojo Tour. (You'll have to call Zerve or Backbeat Tours to make that change.) If you really want to take your chances, you can show up at our ticket window about 15 minutes before the tour starts. Keep in mind that, most days, all of our reserved passengers show up, so you're taking you chances. If you can, try to book one of our other tours instead.
- Can you pick me up at my hotel?
- Unfortunately hotel pickup is not available for this tour. Our meeting location is on Beale Street, which is within walking distance (or a short trolley ride) of most downtown hotels.
- Are there any stops during the tour?
- On most tours, there will be one quick stop to visit gift shops and use the restroom. The rest of the time will be spent aboard our one-of-a-kind bus with your musical guide!
- Will we go into any of the stops on the tour?
- On most tours, we will not be going into any of the stops on the tour. You may have the opportunity to visit a gift shop, but guided tours of each location are not included - if you're interested in touring Sun Studio, check out our Extended Mojo Tour instead!
- How much walking is involved?
- There is almost no walking on this tour as it will take place mostly on one of our buses.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour will end exactly where it began!
- Who will my tour guide be?
- You will not be guaranteed to have any particular tour guide on the tour. All of our guides are certified, professional, local Memphis musicians who will provide you with a fun, unforgettable experience!
- Should I tip my tour guide?
- If you enjoyed the trip, tips are highly appreciated!
- What is the difference between your tours?
- The Mojo tour is a more general overview of Memphis; we visit all the major areas, learn all about the different genres of music so famous in Memphis, and more. The Extended Mojo tours include a one-hour guided tour of Sun Studio or the Stax Museum. Our Hound Dog tour is very focused on Elvis, his life, and the secrets behind the King's persona, and includes a one hour guided tour of Sun Studio. The Graceland tour takes you up to Graceland and provides you with a platinum pass so you can see all it has to offer! We also offer a daytime walking tour of Historic Memphis, and an evening tour of Haunted Memphis.
- Are there any foods or beverages on the bus?
- There are no foods or beverages served on the bus; however, there are some beverages available at the meeting location. Water and sodas are $2, and beer is $4.50.
- Can I bring my own food and beverages on board?
- Yes! You can bring any foods, alcoholic, or nonalcoholic beverages you would like on the bus.
- What should I bring with me on the tour?
- We recommend that you bring cash in case you'd like to purchase souvenirs at the stop on the tour. Bring your camera, but most of all, bring good spirits!
- Can I bring an instrument or sing along?
- Yes! Feel free to bring an instrument with you if you feel so inclined. The more music the merrier!
- Which bus will we be going on?
- We have two buses at Backbeat - our vintage bus, "Miss Clawdy", and a newer bus that is just as comfortable. No particular bus is guaranteed for any tour.
- Are there restrooms on the bus?
- No, there aren't restrooms on either of our buses. However, we will make at least one restroom stop during the tour.
- Is there assigned seating on the bus?
- Nope! Seating is first come first served.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- If you have a collapsible wheelchair and have limited mobility, we should have no problem accommodating you. Please click on the link to "Contact Backbeat" to let us know what you need. If you have a non collapsible wheelchair and no mobility, unfortunately our buses are not equipped to accommodate you.
- Is the bus heated or air conditioned?
- Both of our buses are heated on cold days and air conditioned on hot days. You will be comfortable for the duration of the tour!
- Do you offer private group tours?
- Yes! If you are interested in chartering our bus for a private group event, please click on the "Contact Backbeat" link for more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How far in advance do I need to purchase my tickets?
- How far in advance do I need to purchase my tickets?
- Obviously, the earlier the better. We try our best to schedule tours so that there will be spots remaining a day or two in advance, but sometimes we sell out before then.
- I am on the road and can't print out my ticket, what should I do?
- Relax and enjoy your vacation. The Zerve reservation system is entirely computerized, so we will have a record of your reservation under your name. If it will ease your mind, you can call our local office at (901) 527-9415 to check to make sure that we have a record of your reservation.
In addition to a popular and entertaining city tour called the Memphis Mojo Tour (and the Extended Mojo Tour, with Sun Studio admission), Backbeat Tours also offers numerous walking and bus tours of historic and haunted Memphis. Check out these one-of-a-kind tours today!