During our fully narrated downtown sampler, you'll see:
- Fayetteville Street: This "Main Street" of downtown Raleigh is the centerpiece of a multibillion-dollar revitalization.
- The Raleigh Convention Center: The dazzling convention center is a state-of-the-art facility that opened in 2008.
- North Carolina State Capitol: The 19th-century beauty is steeped in history and has been restored to its 1840 -1865 appearance.
- Legislative Building: Designed by Edward Durell Stone, it's housed North Carolina's State Government since 1963.
- Governor's Mansion: Built in 1891, the stately Queen-Anne style home was built with convict labor and serves as the official residence of North Carolina's governor.
- Historic City Market: Founded in 1914, it replaced the Raleigh market traditionally held on Fayetteville Street; making it Raleigh's first "shopping center."
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- We strongly recommend purchasing tickets in advance to ensure that you get the tour date and time you want, as tours do sell out! Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express.
- What time should I arrive for my Segway tour?
- Please arrive ON TIME. Tours start promptly. Tours begin with a training session (allow 20-30 min), so prompt arrival is important. If you arrive late, you may be too late to join the mandatory training session, thereby forfeiting your ticket. Forfeited tickets cannot be used for rescheduling and will not be refunded.
- How does the Segway work?
- It's an intelligent network of sensors, mechanical assemblies and control systems that enable the Segway to balance and move on two wheels. It's an amazing machine! The second you step on, five micro-machined gyroscopes and two accelerometers sense the changing terrain and your body position at 100 times per second--faster than your brain can think!
- Who can ride a Segway?
- To participate in our guided tours, you must be age 14 or older (riders 14-17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult) and weigh between 100-260 pounds. You'll also need to be comfortable standing in place for the duration of the tour, as you'll be riding on the Segway most of the time!
- How do I learn to ride a Segway?
- We teach you! No experience is necessary to take one of our tours. You will need to be comfortable standing in place for the duration of your tour. Our experienced staff provides all the necessary hands-on training before each tour. Your safety is important to us, and we will make sure you feel confident operating the Segway before the tour departs. We also provide helmets, which all riders are required to wear.
- How much time of the tour is actually spent on a Segway?
- You will spend most if not all of your tour on a Segway. We will start off with a short training session and then be on Segways for the tour. See tour descriptions for the highlights.
- Is it hard to ride a Segway?
- The Segway requires no special skills. The machine balances itself! You will need to be capable of standing in place for the duration of your tour. Our tours include a safety and training session given by one of our experienced Segway instructors prior to departure. Your safety is paramount to us. If after your training session the staff at Triangle Glides deems you have not demonstrated the basic operation of the Segway, then Triangle Glides reserves the right to exclude you from the tour.
- How fast do Segways go?
- The Segway's top speed is 12.5 mph. For our tours, however, we have set the Segway's speed limiter to a lower speed. Most of the time, the tour travels at about 4 or 5 mph.
- Can children under age 14 come on the tour if they meet the weight requirements?
- No, we are required by our insurance carrier to limit the age to 14. Unfortunately we can make no exceptions. Those who are 14-17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult or guardian. Each rider must weigh between 100-260 pounds.
- If I'm pregnant, can I still take a Segway tour?
- No, for safety reasons, pregnant women are not allowed to participate on our Segway tours.
- What if it rains?
- As they say in Raleigh, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." Tours run rain or shine. But don't worry! We provide rain ponchos for just such occasions. In fact, some of our best tours have taken place in less-than-perfect weather. If heavy rain is anticipated, or severe weather, we will cancel and reschedule the tour, and we will call you at the number you provided with your reservation.
- Do I have to sign a waiver?
- All Segway riders must sign a liability waiver before participating. Riders under the age of 18 must have an adult or guardian sign for them.
- Will we get to go inside the attractions listed for the tour?
- We will glide right up to most attractions--so you'll have excellent up-close views of everything--but there isn't enough time on the tour to go into any of the buildings.
- I am a local. Will I still enjoy the tour?
- Sure! Even if you've strolled along our route many times, gliding it on a Segway will be a unique, fun experience! Plus, our guides offer a lot of interesting historical information in their tour narration.
- Can I store anything in the Segway, like a purse or camera?
- Yes, all our Segways have handlebar bags, which will hold small items you'd like to carry along, such as a camera or a small purse. Please, no large or bulky items. Please note that If you want a picture of yourself on the Segway during the tour, ask your tour guide to take it for you. Triangle Glides takes no responsibility for your personal items.
- Do the tours make any restroom stops?
- You should be prepared to complete the tour without a restroom break, but we do have a restroom in our shop which you are welcome to use before we depart. If you have an urgent need during the tour, let us know and we will try to accommodate you.
- Can I buy food, drinks or souvenirs along the way?
- We pack in as much sightseeing as we can during the tour, which leaves little time for any other stops. After the tour, you'll be so familiar with the downtown surroundings that it'll be easy to find your way around for shopping and dining. We do sell Triangle Glides logo ball caps which make nice gifts or memories of your tour with us!
- Where does the tour end?
- The tours end where they start: our shop in Raleigh's historic City Market, which is an outdoor retail and dining center with restaurants and an interesting mix of shops, including many art galleries that sell works from local artists! City Market is very convenient to other downtown attractions.
- What's the difference between your tours?
- Our Capital City East tour explores the east side of downtown Raleigh, including historic Oakwood, while our Historic Oakwood tour offers guests the chance to just focus on Oakwood. The Downtown Discovery Tour takes in new views of old city landmarks, while our Raleigh West tour covers the west side of downtown. Our shortest excursion, the Segway Experience tour, is ideal for those just wanting a downtown "sampler." We try to provide options that will fit into your schedule!
- Can I book a private Segway tour?
- Definitely! Please use the "Contact TriGlides" link to arrange a customized tour for your group.
- Do you rent Segways?
- No. We offer guided Segway tours and we are an authorized Segway dealer.
- Can I buy a gift card for the tour?
- Yes! Please use the "Contact TriGlides" link to request a gift card for one of our tours. Our gift cards can be purchased in any amount and be applied toward any of our tours.
- Do you do corporate team-building events?
- Absolutely! It's one of our specialties. We call them Segway Treasure Hunts. Just use the "Contact TriGlides" link for more information. We can schedule these three-hour events to suit your needs and schedule!
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must meet age and weight requirements.
- The minimum rider age is 14 years old. No exceptions! Those who are 14-17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Each rider must weigh between 100-260 pounds.
- All participants must sign a waiver.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before taking the tour.
- The tour is not suitable for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, pregnant women may not participate in the Segway tours.
- Triangle Glides is not responsible for personal items.
- If you bring personal items on the tour, such as a camera, or leave any items in our shop during your tour, Triangle Glides is not responsible for them.
- Participants must demonstrate the basic operation of the Segway to participate in the tour
- Our tours include a safety and training session given by one of our experienced Segway instructors prior to departure. Your safety is paramount to us. If after your training session the staff at Triangle Glides deems you have not demonstrated the basic operation of a Segway, then Triangle Glides reserves the right to exclude you from the tour.
You'll be riding state-of-the-art Segway i2s featuring LeanSteer technology: shift your weight forward, backward, lean the handlebars left or right, and the Segway smoothly moves in the direction you want to go!
Triangle Glides is the only authorized Segway dealer and Segway tour operator in the Triangle area. Our tours have been featured in Raleigh’s News & Observer, WRAL TV, NBC-17, ABC-11, and News 14. We also are a stand up paddleboard and Trikke dealer and we offer seasonal stand up paddle lessons May-Oct at a local Raleigh lake.