In the cool of the evening, when winds are lightest, we will lead you into a world of mystery and tranquility on this guided kayak tour.
Watch an incredible sunset by a mangrove island as dozens of native birds jostle for their nightly roost, including:
Your venture through a red mangrove island at night will be both eerie and surreal. Enjoy the magic of an underwater light show as your paddle excites bioluminescent plankton. Dolphins and sea turtles†also sometimes can be seen.
Great for novice and experienced paddlers alike, your foray into the backcountry will leave you exhilarated and in awe of our blue planet and all the wonders she has to offer.
Please note: You will need to arrive at the meeting location 35 minutes prior to the start time of the tour.† Also, we will provide plenty of mosquito repellent. (Yes, they do sometimes come out during sunset!)
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- If the trip is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- No, Blue Planet Kayak does not keep a waiting list for our tours. Tours often sell out, and typically well in advance, so please make sure to purchase your tickets far in advance, especially if you have limited time availability.
- What happens if it rains?
- Most of our tours will run in all light rain and other moderate weather conditions. In Key West, light rain usually passes over us in just a few minutes! In the rare event that we have to cancel a tour due to severe wind or weather, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- Is hotel pickup available?
- Pickup (round trip) is available from all Key West locations. However, we are very eco-conscious, so if you have your own transportation, please use it! There are limited spots available in our van. If you're interested in a pickup, you may reserve spots in the Blue Planet van upon purchasing tickets. If the pickup is marked as sold out, that means our van is full and pickup will not be available for that day/time of the tour, so you will be responsible for getting to the meeting location on your own. Exact directions will be provided upon purchasing tickets.
- If I select hotel pickup while purchasing my tickets, when can I expect a phone call to coordinate the details?
- If you select hotel pickup when you purchase tickets, Blue Planet will typically call you within 24 hours of your tour to make arrangements. If you purchase tickets on the same day as your tour, we will contact you in the hours prior to the tour to make pickup arrangements. Donít worry, nobody ever gets left behind!
- If I select hotel pickup while purchasing my tickets, can you call my international cell phone?
- We always call international cell phone numbers, though with varying degrees of success. When booking your tour tickets, please provide the name of your hotel, as well as your room number and/or the name your room is booked under, in case contact cannot be made via your cell phone. Even if you provide a U.S. cell phone as your contact number, it is always a good idea to provide the hotel information too, just to be on the safe side. In the end, we always figure it out and nobody gets left behind.
- If I select hotel pickup while purchasing my tickets, when can I expect to be picked up?
- Hotel pickups are typically made about 45 minutes prior to the tour start time (give or take 5-10 minutes) but please keep in mind that this is only a general guideline, and we will call you to firm up the exact time. The exact time will depend upon the location of your hotel in relation to the others we will be stopping at.
- I will be driving to the meeting location on my own. What can I expect?
- Once you arrive at the meeting location, you will park your car for just a few minutes while you get out and check in with your Blue Planet tour guide. Precisely 30 minutes prior to your tourís start time, you will follow the Blue Planet van in your car to the dock, where the kayaks will be waiting!
- I will be driving to the meeting location on my own. When should I arrive?
- You must arrive at the meeting location at least 35 minutes prior to the start time of your tour, as there will be a caravan from the meeting location down to the dock starting precisely 30 minutes prior to your tourís start time. This is very important to ensure that we have time to travel to the dock and are able to start the tour on time. No refunds or reschedules will be provided for late arrivals.
- Will there be a guide kayaking with us?
- Absolutely. This distinguishes the tour from a rental. Your guide will greatly enhance your experience by increasing your odds of seeing marine animals, letting you touch some, and explaining the Keys' natural history and the tropical flora and fauna around you.
- Do I need to have kayaked before to enjoy this trip?
- No. Our kayaks are stable and beginner friendly.
- Do I need to know how to swim?
- Absolutely not! Blue Kayak carries a wide variety of flotation devices to accommodate all levels and ages of swimmers. Besides, we'll be above water at all times!
- Are children allowed?
- Of course! Blue Planet Kayak thinks there is no better way to turn your kids onto nature. Children between the ages of 4 and 12 paddle at a reduced price, and children 3 years of age and younger are free of charge, but must secure a ticket. Keep in mind that children 10 years of age and older, with experience kayaking, are welcome to request a single kayak. Those under 10 must share a tandem with a supervising adult, and very young children/infants can sit between their parents! Also keep in mind that children under 16 years of age are required to wear a life jacket at all times during the tour.
- How old should my children be to kayak? Is there an age limit?
- Kids 10 years old or older may paddle a single kayak but only if truly experienced. Together paddling a tandem with a stronger parent or sibling children of any age are welcome, and infants can sit between their parents in a tandem kayak.
- Is the paddle suitable for pregnant women?
- Pregnant women should always consult a physician before kayaking.
- What is the difference between the Sunset Tour and the Boca Chica Tour?
- Night and day! About 1/2 of the evening trip is by headlamp after dark. We see many of the same animals as during the day tour but more birds and crustaceans. Boca Chica tours offer beautiful aquamarine and green water, large rays and baby sharks. On either you will enjoy drifting under a jungle canopy through mangrove islands.
- Can I have a single kayak?
- Yes, we offer both single and tandem (double) models. Please let us know which model you'd prefer upon purchasing your tickets. However, during our busiest times, it's first come first serve so book far in advance!
- Is the kayak safe?
- Yes. We use only stable models designed not to roll. They are sit-in models but you are not enclosed. They are much more comfortable and dryer than sit-on-top models.
- Are the waters safe?
- The waters we kayak in are protected and generally very calm, even on windy days. All of our trips are perfect for children and first time kayak participants.
- Will I see sharks in the water?
- Hopefully, yes! For many of our customers seeing a small shark is the highlight of their tour. We frequently see nurse, bonnethead and other small, docile species in less than 2 feet of water.
- Can I ride a scooter or electric car to your location?
- Yes. Scooter companies may prohibit you from leaving Key West. This is to prevent you from heading north on the highway. No worries. The speed limit between your location and our dock never exceeds 35 mph. You can legally and safely drive to our location!
- Can I bring my own food and beverages?
- Yes. We won't stop long enough for a full meal but snacks are fine. At least one beverage is recommended.
- Can I bring an ice chest or cooler?
- A small cooler will fit in a tandem kayak and you are welcome to bring it.
- Can I bring my own kayak?
- No. Our dock local unfortunately does not allow personal kayaks. However, bringing your kayak along on our specialized tours further up the road from Key West is fine - if you're interested in a special private tour, please click on the "Contact BluePlanet" link.
- What should I wear?
- Please dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions - bring a windbreaker or sweatshirt, especially in the winter time! Wear clothing that you won't mind getting wit, as you may get splashed by the paddle drip from time to time. Also keep in mind that this is a later tour so it will be cooler out on the water than during the day. You will not be swimming during the tours - if you're interested in swimming, please click on the "Contact BluePlanet" link and inquire about a rental instead.
- Should I bring cash?
- You may wish to purchase a Blue Planet T-shirt, tank top or visor. Bring around $40 in cash if you're interested in purchasing souvenirs!
- Should I tip the guide?
- Your Blue Planet Kayak Tours guide always tries to go above and beyond expectations to provide you with a one-of-a-kind experience. While not required, gratuities are customary and greatly appreciated. Typically, tips are about 15% to 20% of your ticket total.
- How far is the paddle?
- The tour will cover 2 to 2.5 miles at a leisurely pace.
- Do I have to wear a life vest?
- Not if you are over 16 years of age. All kayaks have life jackets in them for your use, but children under 16 are required to wear them at all times.
- Do I have to sign a liability waiver to participate in the tour?
- Yes, all participants must sign a liability waiver before the tour. Any participants under the age of 18 must have a supervising/accompanying adult sign the waiver for them.
- Will I get seasick?
- No. Seasickness results from the pitching motion of a boat. Kayaks don't pitch or roll.
- Are there group discounts?
- Yes, if you book 6 tickets or more you will get an automatic discount of 5% off each ticket!
- How can I book a private charter or custom tour?
- To book your private or custom tour, please click on the "Contact BluePlanet" link and let us know what you're interested in!
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer kayak rentals?
- Yes, we do have kayak rentals available. Please click on the "Contact BluePlanet" link if you're interested in renting a kayak instead.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Hotel pickup is available, but with limited spots.
- Hotel pickup is available with limited space, due to limited seating in the Blue Planet van. If pickup is marked as "sold out", please consider driving to our meeting spot (directions will be provided immediately after purchasing tickets). If you have chosen hotel pickup, we will contact you within 24 hours of your tour to make arrangements.
Blue Planet Kayak Tours
His formal background includes biology, marine science, oceanography, and botany and bird research.
All Blue Planet guides have experience leading eco-tours and are trained in marine or related studies, rescue and first aid. We enjoy sharing our appreciation and knowledge of this very special ecosystem.