This is the season for blue whales. Every trip is a new experience, so be sure to come out often! During blue whale season, sightings are guaranteed, meaning that if you do not see a whale OR dolphin, we'll give you a voucher for a free trip during blue whale season!
**Looking for a deal? Check out 1/2 Price Tuesdays!** AND OUR EVENING $25 WHALE WATCHING TRIPS**
See attractions such as:
- Blue whales - they can grow up to 100 feet long and weigh up to 100 tons - you will not believe your eyes if you're lucky enough to see on of these impressive marine mammals!
- Dolphins - take memorable photos as schools of playful dolphins frolic around the boat!
- Sea lions, pelican and other sea faring birds
**Looking for a deal? Check out 1/2 Price Tuesdays!** AND OUR EVENING $25 WHALE WATCHING TRIPS**
To buy tickets for a half priced Tuesday trip or Evening Whale Watching, click on “List of All Activities” to the left of the page and choose “1/2 Price Whale Watch (Blue Whale Season May-Nov)”! or Evening Whale Wathcing
What Is Not Included?
You can also bring your own food and non-alcoholic drinks on board, but coolers and ice chests are not allowed.
- What kind of marine life has been recently sighted?
- 5/5 No Whale Sightings, Common Dolphin 5/4 No Whale Sightings, Common Dolphin 5/3 3 Gray Whales & Common Dolphins 5/2 2 Gray Whales, Bottlenose & Common Dolphin 5/1 No Whale Sightings 4/30 6 Gray Whales, Common & Bottlenose Dolphin 4/29 4 Gray Whales & Common Dolphin
- ---------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETS/POLICIES--------------------
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Can I have some more information on the DVD that is available for sale with my ticket purchase?
- Absolutely! The DVD is a video entitled “7 Miles from Dana Point”, shot by Dana Wharf’s own Captain Larry Hartmann. This original DVD features 26 minutes of breathtaking and authentic footage of marine life sightings from Dana Wharf, including killer whales, blue whales, dolphins, sea lions, birds and more! This video is sure to wow friends and family alike, and makes a great souvenir from your trip.
- What happens if it rains?
- We do run in light rain, but if it becomes extremely windy we might have to cancel the trip for safety reasons. If the trip has already left the dock and conditions become unsafe, we will issue a "whale check" that will allow you to come back another time for another cruise!
- Are children allowed?
- Yes! We have no age limit for our ocean adventure cruises. Everyone is welcome, and our boats are very safe with high rails. Children under two years of age are free of charge.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- While we don't put a limitation on who may or may not attend, pregnant women should always consult with their doctors before participating in any active activities.
- If this trip is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately we do not have waiting lists for our trips. If the date and time you want is sold out, please choose another date and time from the schedule for this activity.
- How early should I arrive to check in before the trip?
- Please arrive no later than 20 minutes before the cruise departs.
- -------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT OCEAN ADVENTURES----------------------
- Are we guaranteed to see whales?
- During blue whale season, sightings are guaranteed, meaning that if you do not see a whale OR dolphin, we'll give you a voucher for a free trip during blue whale season! (Offer must be used during blue whale season, but there is no expiration date).
- When is whale watch season?
- It's always whale watch season at Dana Wharf! Blue Whale season runs from May until November. Grey Whale season starts the day after Thanksgiving every year, and typically runs until the end of April. January through April are the peak times for Grey whales, and coincide with our annual Festival of Whales. Whatever the season, we also typically see pods of dolphin, sea lions, pelican and other sea faring birds.
- What is the best time of the day to see whales?
- Whales migrate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no "best" time to see whales, but the weather on the water tends to be calmer in the morning.
- How close do we get to the whales?
- The Marine Mammal Protection Act requires that we stay 100 yards away from the whales, but some may swim right up to the boat! Dolphins usually come very close, but we do not touch, swim with, or feed the wildlife.
- What happens if I don't see a whale or any dolphins during my trip?
- If you don't see a whale OR dolphins during your excursion, you will get a $10 coupon that you can use towards your next trip with us.
- How far does the boat go out?
- Blue whales are coastal navigators, so usually we travel about a mile offshore. The boat does have the range of up to 7 miles if needed.
- ---------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR LOCATION--------------------
- Where exactly is Dana Wharf located within Orange County?
- Hopefully these landmarks will help you to find us better: Dana Wharf is located 40 minutes south of Disneyland in Anaheim, 1 hour south of LAX airport in Los Angeles, and 60 minutes north of Sea World in San Diego. We are basically in the heart of Orange County!
- --------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT--------------------------
- Will I get seasick?
- While our vessels are very safe and stable, we will be in the ocean. If you are susceptible to motion sickness, you might want to consider taking preventative measures beforehand.
- Which boat will we be going on?
- Our Ocean Adventure Cruises usually take place on our luxurious Dana Pride, complete with inside and upper deck seating, a full galley, and cash bar. Do keep in mind that it is possible that because of other events/private charters, your trip may go out on a different vessel in our fleet.
- Are there restrooms on board?
- Yes, there is a clean marine head on board.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes! Indoor seating and awnings are available. If you plan on staying outside to have a better view of the marine life, please dress appropriately with a hat, sunglasses, and/or sunscreen.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected once a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- If you would like to come on board with us in a wheelchair, please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page and we will make arrangements to accommodate you.
- Are there life jackets on board? Do I have to wear one?
- We do have life jackets on board, but it is not required for any passenger to wear one during the cruise.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is limited room to stow your belongings on board. Please only bring what is absolutely necessary for the trip.
- Can I smoke on the boat?
- Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas.
- -----------------------------WHAT SHOULD I BRING-------------------------------
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- You are welcome to bring a "brown bag" lunch, however you may not bring ice chests or alcoholic beverages on board. Alcoholic beverages are available for purchase on board.
- What kinds of food and beverages are available in the full-service galley?
- The boats offer a variety of grilled sandwiches such as cheeseburgers, grilled cheese, BLT, and burritos. They also have soda, water, and beer. On the Dana Pride we offer a fully stocked bar including hard alcohol (please remember you may not bring your own alcohol on board).
- How much money should I bring?
- While no money is required from you on board, if you'd like to purchase food or beverages at the full service galley, or souvenirs, please bring extra money (approximately $20). While the store on-land accepts both cash and credit cards for souvenir purchases, food and drink on the boats' galleys will need to be purchased with cash only.
- How much should I tip the crew if any?
- There is no gratuity required, but a recommended amount would between $2-$5 per person. The crew works hard to make your trip enjoyable!
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- No ice chests are allowed on board. We will make exceptions for special diets, however.
- -------------------PRIVATE CHARTERS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES------------
- Can I book a private charter?
- Yes, all boats are available for private charters. Please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page for more information.
- Are gift certificates available for the Dana Wharf trips?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the 2 hour whale watching trips (both Gray Whale Season and Blue Whale Season), 1/2 Day/Twilight Fishing Trips and 3/4 Day Fishing Trips, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this trip, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants are required to have tickets for this event.
- Our boats are United States Coast Guard documented for a certain amount of passengers and we cannot exceed the capacity. This means that all passengers including infants and toddlers must have a ticket.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching
Set in a beautiful and flourishing harbor, Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching showcases several top of the line vessels including our flagship, the Dana Pride.
Dana Wharf's experienced, family oriented crew is there to make your trip as enjoyable and educational as possible. Come one, come all: whale watching is an event anyone will enjoy!