On this tour you will glide on a Segway PT i2 past incredible mansions and landmarks, including:
- The Sands House - the oldest house still standing in Annapolis.
- The William Paca House - a National Historic landmark designed and built by governor William Paca in the late 1700s.
- The Chase-Lloyd House - built in 1769 by Samuel Chase, Associate Justice to the Supreme Court.
- The Hammond-Harwood House - one of the remaining homes from the British colonial period.
- St. John's College - one of the oldest colleges in the U.S.
- The Naval Academy - home of the Midshipmen and the crypt of John Paul Jones.
- Maryland Governor's Mansion - home to the state's governors for over 125 years.
- Maryland State House - the oldest state house in continuous use in the U.S. Its dome can be seen from almost anywhere in the city and is topped with the largest lightning rod ever designed by Benjamin Franklin!
Helmets and headsets included - don't forget to bring your camera!
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chance of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. You can do this online or over the phone using only Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Do I have to pay tax?
- Yes, we charge a 10% tax (6% sales tax and 4% entertainment tax that the state requires).
- Who can ride the Segway ® PT?
- Although riding a Segway PT is relatively easy, all riders must be at least 14 years of age. Also, riders should have the ability to make motions such as climbing and descending stairs without assistance. The Segway PT is not appropriate for those weighing under 100 pounds or over 260 pounds.
- Am I allowed to ride if I'm pregnant?
- While Annapolis Segway Tours does not recommend that pregnant women participate in these tours, it is up to the discretion of the attendee and the tour guide. Please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link if you have any questions.
- I have children in my group that are under 14 years old. Can they still come on the tour?
- No, unfortunately children under the age of 14 are not permitted on the tour for safety reasons.
- What exact locations do we visit?
- The exact itinerary and route of the tour varies somewhat from tour to tour, so we can't say ahead of time exactly which locations will be visited on a specific tour. We do, however, usually visit as many of the following as possible: The Paca House, The Hammond-Harwood House, Maryland Governor's Mansion, The Sands House, The Chase-Lloyd House, The Maryland State House, The Peggy Stewart House, The Jonas Green House, and St. John's College.
- I am an Annapolis local - will I enjoy this tour?
- Though you may have seen the sights before, you will still enjoy the unique experience of gliding around Annapolis on a Segway and seeing it all from a different perspective.
- What happens if it rains?
- We run our tours rain or shine, and will provide ponchos to our guests should there be rain. In event that there is extremely severe weather and we are forced to cancel, you will be able to reschedule (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future tour.
- Do I have to sign a waiver?
- Each participant is required to sign a waiver. Children under the age of 18 will require the signature of a parent or guardian.
- How much time of the tour is actually spent on a Segway?
- From start to finish the experience will last about 1.5 hours. The tour itself is one hour long and training is NOT included in this hour. The training usually takes about 20-30 minutes or so, so we ask that you arrive on time so we can finish training and depart for the tour as soon as possible.
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way? What about souvenirs?
- There's a lot to see as we roll through Annapolis, so unfortunately there will not be time to stop for food, drinks, or shopping. You are welcome to bring your own snacks and we will provide you with bottled water for the ride.
- Will we stop to take photos and go inside the sites listed for the tour?
- While there is a stop on the tour where you can get off the Segway and walk around, we do not stop at or go into any of the sites that we see along the way. However, you will have the opportunity to take photos along the way.
- Where does the tour end?
- All tours end at the Annapolis Segway Tours storefront, located at 131 Prince George Street in Annapolis.
- Do Segways have the ability to store bags, purses?
- Each Segway is outfitted with a handle bar bag, which can carry personal items, such as medium to large purses, cameras, and sunglasses. You can store bigger bags and items at the meeting location for the duration of your tour.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, all of our tours are only conducted in English. However, our non-English speaking participants will still enjoy the experience of riding a Segway and seeing the sights of Annapolis.
- Are restrooms available?
- It is preferred that you use the restrooms at the meeting spot before the start of the tour. However, there are restrooms available during the tour if necessary.
- How do I learn to ride a Segway PT?
- Each tour begins with a 20-30 minute training session. You will first sign a liability waiver and get fitted with a helmet and headset. Next you will watch a Segway demonstration and then each participant will be trained separately. The training begins inside and then we will take you outside to train on the sidewalk. The tour will begin once everyone feels comfortable and has mastered the operations of the Segway.
- How does the Segway PT work?
- This breakthrough technology, termed "dynamic stabilization," is the essence of the Segway PT. Dynamic stabilization enables the Segway PT to work seamlessly with the body's movements. Gyroscopes and tilt sensors in the unit monitor a rider's center of gravity at about 100 times a second. When the rider leans slightly forward, the Segway PT moves forward. When the rider leans slightly back, the Segway PT moves backward.
- What is the Segway Personal Transporter (PT)?
- The Segway Personal Transporter (PT) is the first self-balancing, electric-powered transportation device. With dimensions no larger than the average adult body and the ability to emulate human balance, the Segway PT uses the same space as a pedestrian, and can go wherever a person can walk.
- How safe is the Segway PT?
- The utmost care and research has gone into ensuring that the Segway PT is safe. The Segway PT's balancing technology is truly revolutionary and provides an exceptional riding experience. The Segway PT has redundant systems and sophisticated alerts built into its design, and many thousands of hours of use have demonstrated that the Segway PT is safe when used appropriately. It is important that Segway PT riders understand their responsibility to ride safely. Proper skill level and understanding of the Segway PT prevents injuries caused by loss of control or misuse.
- How fast do the Segways go?
- Our Segways have a maximum speed of 12.5 miles per hour. However, the majority of the tour is spent riding on sidewalks at about 3-8 miles per hour.
- Are Segway rentals available through Annapolis Segway Tours?
- We do rentals by the day, week, or month, but not by the hour. Please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link for more information.
- Can I arrange for a private/corporate/business event?
- Yes! To arrange for a private, corporate, or business event, please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact SegZoneTours" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must meet age and weight requirements.
- All Segway riders must be age 14 or older. Each rider must weigh at least 100 pounds and no more than 260 pounds.
- All participants must sign a waiver.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before taking the tour. All participants under 18 must have a parent or supervising adult present to sign for them. Helmets are also required and are provided by SegZone Tours.
Seg Zone Tours
We recently purchased Annapolis Segway Tours from Mr. and Mrs Segar who had been successfully conducting Segway tours in the historic district of downtown Annapolis for many years. We are proud to be "part of the family", and we are eager to make you one of ours too.