We are going to sample foods from a variety of restaurants, some carryout, some sit-down, but all important to the Ethiopian community at large.
Your gastronomic experience will chronicle the intricate flavors, textures, and colors in Ethiopian cuisine, while recounting the history of the Ethiopian people. The tour will highlight Ethiopian cuisine by stopping at a variety of restaurants, each boasting a different specialty.
Your tour may include the following specialties:
- Traditional Ethiopian breakfast
- Deep fried appetizers
- Vegetarian and meat dishes
- Hand made sauces and cottage cheese
- The Ethiopian national dish
- Several homemade Ethiopian breads
- Italian influenced desserts
- Coffee ceremony
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- The types of food served on this tour include various styles of Ethiopian cuisine from different regions. The tastings may include a traditional Ethiopian breakfast, deep fried appetizers, vegetarian and meat dishes, handmade sauces and cottage cheese, the Ethiopian national dish, several homemade Ethiopian breads, Italian influenced desserts, and a coffee ceremony. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals and participate in a coffee ceremony. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterward will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served and you will also participate in a coffee ceremony. There will be a chance for you to try a special Ethiopian Honey Wine. There is another chance to have coffee or tea with dessert at the last stop.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We will cover about 1 mile on foot during this tour and we walk at a leisurely pace. While you will have the opportunity to sit at most restaurants, please remember to wear comfortable shoes!
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Unfortunately, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes about one block from the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be 4 stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least 2/3 of the tour inside various restaurants. The rest of the tour will be spent exploring the streets of this Ethiopian community.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with needs wheelchair access, please use the “Contact the seller” link and let us know about your needs in advance. We will work to accommodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there are parking garages as well as metered street parking available near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.