On this 30-minute tour, we'll saunter through the streets to see the historical cemeteries and Revolutionary era buildings that lend the Holy City its unique charm. Your tour guide will be a licensed professional with extensive knowledge of Charleston's history and will show you various sights, including:
- The Old Market, the site of over 250 years of commerce
- The breathtaking churches that earned the city its nickname of “Holy City”
- A glimpse of the Cooper River Waterfront
- Do I have to buy my tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended since the Carriage Tours often sell out in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What happens if it rains?
- We will go out in most moderate weather conditions. Keep in mind that the top of the carriage is covered by a canopy, but the sides are open. In the case of severe weather, such as severe heat, lightning, storms, or high wind, we may have to cancel the tour, and you will be able to reschedule to another time or receive credit for a future tour.
- What will we see on the tour?
- You will see the historic old market area where commerce has taken place for over 250 years, historical cemeteries, Revolutionary buildings, and numerous churches as the tour winds through the 10-12 block area. Your tour guide will acquaint you with the history and architecture which makes Charleston one of the grand cities in the United States. Most importantly you will gain a better understanding of the people that lived and traversed in the very areas you are touring over the past three hundred years!
- Are tours available in languages other than English?
- We are able to give tours in Spanish and French for private parties. No more than 15 people.
- Can I bring food or drinks aboard the carriage?
- You are welcome to bring a non-alcoholic beverage with you on board (we highly recommend a bottle of cold water in the hot summer months!), but please refrain from bringing food onto the carriage.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the tour?
- Small, well behaved dogs are welcome to attend the carriage tour with you. As long as your pet does not disturb the enjoyment of the other guests on the tour, it should be no problem!
- Are we alone on the carriage ride?
- No, the carriage can hold up to 13-15 guests depending on which carriage you take out, so you will be sharing the carriage with other tour participants.
- Is the carriage ride narrated?
- Yes, the carriage tour is fully narrated by a professional tour guide.
- Where does the carriage ride finish?
- The carriage returns to the same location that it departed from, one block north of the world famous open air market.
- Is the carriage ride safe?
- Yes, the Olde Towne Carriage Company is one of Charleston’s oldest and has been the leader in carriage tours in Charleston for over 25 years.
- Can I store anything on the carriage?
- Other than small backpacks and bags, you may leave all larger items at the Olde Towne Carriage Company Barn (where the tour meets). We can either lock up your belongings in our office or leave them at the front counter, where there is always someone watching them! The Olde Towne Carriage Company cannot be held responsible for lost or missing items.
- What type of ticket should I buy for a young child?
- For children ages 4 to 11, you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 3 years and under may attend for free, but you’ll still need to enter the appropriate number of Wee One tickets labeled “Free” when purchasing. All guests, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- Is the carriage tour handicapped accessible?
- No, unfortunately, the carriage has one or two metal stirrups that you must walk up.
- How much of the town will we cover?
- The carriage ride will cover approximately 10-12 blocks of the commercial district.
- Will we stop to use the restroom during the tour?
- There is no scheduled bathroom stop during the tour. We will only stop in the event of an emergency, so please use the facilities beforehand. There is a bathroom in the waiting area of the Olde Towne Carriage Company.
- Is there parking nearby the carriage tour departure point?
- Yes, there is both metered parking and City Parking garages available near the departure point. If you are attending both the carriage ride and the Harbor Tour on the same day, you may leave your car at the Charleston Maritime Center parking lot for free for the duration of both tours.
- Are gift certificates available for the carriage tour?
- Yes, gift certificates for the Olde Towne carriage are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click "Contact OldeTowne" to the left of the page.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes! We can accommodate a variety of special requests. Please click "Contact OldeTowne" to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe or extreme weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions, including extreme heat. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Tours may be delayed up to 30 minutes due to city regulations.
- Due to city regulations regarding the number of carriages permitted on the streets at one time, carriage tours may be delayed up to 30 minutes after their scheduled start time.
Olde Towne Carriage Company
Step aboard one of Olde Towne Carriage tours and get ready for a available. fun-filled, informative trip through 10 blocks of Charleston's oldest business district!
Our knowledgeable guides are professionals who take pride in sharing the beautiful Holy City with you.