Join us in a step by step, bite by bite exploration of our beautiful and delicious Downtown! We will stroll our way through some of the most historic, picturesque and interesting neighborhoods and tantalize you with some of the most delightful foods San Luis Obispo has to offer.
This 3.5-hour tour includes 6 specially arranged food and beverage tastings that may include:
- Handmade organic, fair-trade chocolates
- Authentic Mediterranean food
- Locally produced specialty olive oils & fresh Central Coast cheese
- Locally 'famous' mac 'n cheese
- Back street Bistro featuring the freshest of farmers' market finds
Having lived in the area for more than 25 years, we love to share our knowledge of the locale, insider tips and little known secrets of what's "best" no matter where your travels take you on the Central Coast. This tour will please outdoor enthusiasts, historians as well as the hard-core foodie!
Learn why San Luis Obispo was recently coined "The Happiest Place on Earth" by Oprah, Parade Magazine and National Geographic as only a foodie can explain.
What Is Not Included?
- All guests will receive a bottle of water at the beginning of the tour.
- Guests will need to provide their transportation to and from the tour starting/ending locations.
- Do I need to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance. This is because tickets are limited and our tours typically sell out quickly. For a better chance of getting the day, time, and number of tickets you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, MasterCard or AMEX either online or by phone. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tours are held rain or shine. We ask that you make sure to check the weather on the day of your tour and dress appropriately (bring an umbrella if necessary).
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a waiting list. If the time slot you'd like is sold out, we suggest you check another date/time for availability!
- How much food is served on the tours?
- Our tours typically include 6 tastings. Keep in mind that a tasting is not a full order meal, nor a full order appetizer - but several bites or tastes of our host's specialty food item. We will also be tasting beverages. Most of our guests report feeling "full" at the conclusion of the tour.
- What type of food and beverages will we taste on the tour?
- Our tastings include both the sweet and savory. Some of the things we might taste include handmade chocolates, middle eastern food, homemade and artisanal cheeses. We also offer a couple of beverage tastings which include alcohol. For guests of legal drinking age who would like to participate in these tastings, please be sure to have a valid ID. For those without ID or under the age of 21, substitute tastings will be made available.
- Are cameras and video cameras allowed on the tours?
- Absolutely! We're pretty sure you'll want pictures of yourselves enjoying all this wonderful food and your Tour Guru is happy to play photographer for those special shots. Plus, don't forget all the wonderful sights you'll discover as we tour our lovely and historic city.
- How much walking is involved and is it fast paced?
- The tour covers about 2 miles and we walk along mostly flat terrain and city sidewalks. While we do keep to a schedule, our walk is probably best termed as a comfortable pace. We stop at several places along our path where guests can sit and relax a bit. If you are in good health, and wear comfortable clothing and shoes, you should find the walk enjoyable! Please keep in mind our tours are aligned with the SLOW Food philosophy - meaning we take the time to slow down to experience all the sensory experiences of the food we eat. We take this a step further and encourage guests to enjoy the walking experience in much the same way; take time to look around and notice the small things that are often overlooked. Consciously take in and enjoy the fragrances as we tread our way along the creekside, picturesque landscapes, and historic city streets.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Certainly. When considering whether the tour would be appropriate for your child, please keep in mind that the tour consists of three hours of largely adult company over a 2-mile walk. If you are bringing children under the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings or will share with you, you do not need to purchase tickets for them. All other participants will require a full priced ticket.
- Are you able to accommodate dietary restrictions?
- We will do our very best to find a suitable replacement tasting when possible. It is very important that when you book your tour, you let us know about any dietary restrictions or food allergies in advance.
- Does the tour start and end at the same place?
- Currently, our San Luis Obispo Tour starts at one location and ends at another approximately 3/4 of a mile away. We will provide our guests with a walking map of the tour, starting and end points, as well as specific instructions on how to return to the tour's starting point. Feel free to hop on the local trolley for 50 cents at the end of the tour to get back to the starting location. But keep in mind your Tour Guru would be happy to assist you back to the tour's starting point, should you have special concerns.
- Are bathrooms available during the tours?
- Yes, there are a minimum of two bathroom facilities available during the tour. If you have special needs, let us know when booking and we will try to work in additional stops for you.
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Yes, the tour route and tasting locations are accessible. However, please note that one location does have some interior stairs, but the Tour Guru will be happy to bring the tasting to anyone who is unable to access that area.
- Can I shop during the tour?
- Sorry, we cannot shop during the tour because we need to keep on our schedule. However, we do provide you with special coupons (available only to tour guests) which will allow you to return to these businesses, with the knowledge acquired during the tour to be a super savvy shopper!!
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- Sorry, we'd love to but it just won't work with our food partners. So, pets are not allowed.
- Do your tours have anything to offer local residents?
- Absolutely! Many of our guests live right in San Luis Obispo, while others come from the many small towns throughout the county. Our modern day lives are so busy, that few of us actually have the time to rediscover our hometown! You'll hear fun and fascinating stories of the area - a little history, a little architecture, and some of the exciting new happenings in the works for our good ol' hometown.
- How can I find out about new tours and events?
- Thanks for asking! We're really excited to develop new tours and events based on our guests' feedback. We have some really exciting things planned on a seasonal basis, so check back in with us soon and you may be surprised to discover a new tour or event! You may want to subscribe to our newsfeed, and get all our news and promotions firsthand. Plus, Don't forget to "LIKE" us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and read the BLOG on our website - all a source of good and new information on what's happening on California's Central Coast.
- Is there parking available nearby?
- Yes, free street parking is generally easy to find near the starting location.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Our public tours are only offered in English. However, we are able to offer Private Group Tours in Russian as well! Please click on the "Contact CCFoodTours" link for information about private tours.
- Are Gift Certificates available for purchase?
- Yes! Our gift certificates make wonderful stocking stuffers, housewarming gifts, they're terrific for someone moving into the area, make great employee recognition gifts, and are always nice for a fun and romantic afternoon with that someone special. Please click on the "Contact CCFoodTours" link for more information.
- Can I book a private tour?
- YES! We can do private tours for large and small groups - or even a single individual or couple. We can also design a special tour for your group, based on your interests and time frame. Please click on the "Contact CCFoodTours" link for more information.
Central Coast Food Tours
Yule grew up in the Soviet Union, came to the United States and soon discovered what "farm fresh" really meant. A Vodka and caviar purist, he has expanded his tastes for fine food and savory, unique food pairings, typical of the Eastern European Culture.
Laura grew up in a "foodie family," gaining an appreciation of fine food from her mother who operated a successful catering agency serving corporate clients and the Hollywood elite in Los Angeles for over 20 years. Since living on the Central Coast for the last 25 years, Laura has enjoyed the best of what the area has to offer, with an eye toward the undiscovered, high quality, value food and wine finds.
Jules grew up on the Central Coast. As an adventurous spirit Jules truly loves life and all it offers. She runs marathons, has traveled throughout Europe enjoying its food and wines, and after meeting the love of her life, Jeff, bought Ducati motorcycles for the two of them to explore the back roads and beyond of the Central Coast.
Yule, Laura, and Jules have watched the Central Coast grow into its new status as a world-class wine and food region. They know it as only food lovers' can, and want to share it with you!