Leaving from the St Michaels/Tilghman Island area of MD, located about an hour and a half from Annapolis on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, Lady Patty Sail Charters offers relaxing sails aboard their classic 1935 Ketch.
Join us on the Lady Patty for either a two-hour morning or afternoon sail to explore the Chesapeake Bay area. As sailors, our exact route is determined by the wind, so sometimes we sail along the Miles River and Eastern Bay and other times the Choptank River or Chesapeake Bay. Regardless of our route, some of the things you may see during your trip include:
- Classic working vessels
- Beautiful wildlife
- Scenic Views
So sit back, relax and enjoy the sun and salt air as we experience the beauty of the area by spending a relaxing day on the water.
What Is Not Included?
- Food and beverages are not included in the price of the ticket.
- In the Chesapeake Bay charter industry it is customary to tip the First Mate. People customarily tip 15-20% if they feel the Mate provided excellent service.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is recommended as sails often sell out, especially on weekends and holidays. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- No, everyone can sail and we offer a reduced price ticket for children ages 12 and under. Please note that we find families with young children generally prefer the morning sail to the afternoon sail when the waters are calmer and the sun isn't as strong. All children (including babies and toddlers) are required to have a ticket.
- Do you really raise the sails and turn the motor off?
- Yes we do. We only use the engine at the beginning and end of the trip to help us get into and out of the marina.
- What happens if the weather doesn't cooperate?
- The captain will keep an eye on the weather forecast and determine whether the conditions are safe. The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, and the only time we'd cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe conditions. If the sail for which you purchased tickets is cancelled due to the weather, you can either reschedule your trip (subject to availability) or receive a credit for a future event.
- What happens if it rains during the sail?
- You get wet! This happens very rarely, but keep in mind that this is a sailboat and not a cruise ship. So please dress accordingly — on sunny days, bring a hat & sunscreen; on cool days, bring a sweatshirt; if there's a chance of rain, bring a hat and a raincoat. We do have a limited number of ponchos on board for those who may have forgotten theirs.
- Where do we go and what will we see?
- That depends on the wind and the meeting location. When sailing from our Tilghman Island location we usually sail on the actual Chesapeake Bay. We have about 5 minutes under motor to clear the channel and then we hoist the sails. The direction we go depends entirely on the wind. Occasionally, we will motor under the Knapps Narrows Drawbridge and into the Choptank River to sail if the seas and/or wind are too strong. While operating in St Michaels we depart from St Michaels Marina right across from the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. Once underway we sail in and around the historic St Michaels Harbor, The Miles River and Eastern Bay. In either case you might see lighthouses, classic working and pleasure craft, a vibrant waterfront with restaurants and inns and all kinds of Chesapeake Bay wildlife.....all of this from the deck of a beautiful, classic racing yacht.
- Is the sail narrated?
- There is no formal narration during our sail, but your captain and first mate are more than happy to answer any questions. If you'd like to know more about the Lady Patty, we'd love to tell you about her. If you'd like to know more about the local area and the Chesapeake Bay, the crew will point out places of interest as we sail past. Our crew is very knowledgeable about the area and if you let them know you're interested, they'll be glad to tell you all they know! But if you prefer to relax and enjoy the view, we're happy to let you do that as well.
- Can we bring food or drinks?
- Yes, guests are welcome to bring food and non-alcoholic beverages on board, but alcohol is not allowed because of our liquor license. We do offer drinks, both non-alcoholic and alcoholic, for sale on board at modest prices, but we do not sell any food. We have bottled water, soft drinks, a nice list of beers, red and white wines, as well as our specialty, the Sunset Gold Margarita made with fresh-squeezed lime juice and top shelf tequila. Drink prices generally range from $1 for water/soft drinks to $7 for our featured cocktail.
- How far are Tilghman Island and St Michaels from where we are staying?
- St. Michaels is 21 miles (30-45 min) from Easton, 63 miles (1.25-1.5 hours) from Annapolis and 91 miles (2-2.5 hours) from Washington DC. Tilghman Island is only 11 scenic miles past St Michaels.
- What is the difference between your trips?
- All our trips are two-hour sails, but we find that the morning and afternoon trips are better for families with kids. Our Champagne Sunset Sail is better suited for an adult audience and in addition to seeing a beautiful sunset, guests will receive several rounds of complimentary champagne.
- Is there a bathroom on board?
- Yes, there is a marine head on board. However, it is below decks, so it may be difficult for anyone with limited mobility to access. Please keep in mind there is also a clean bathroom available at the marina, which guests can use before boarding. Many people find using that one a little more comfortable.
- Is the boat handicap accessible?
- We regularly accommodate people with limited mobility on our sails, but please note the boat is not officially handicap accessible as a wheelchair cannot wheel directly onto the boat. In order to get from the dock onto the boat and comfortably into your seat, our staff will need to assist you. If you have a walker or wheelchair that folds or is light, we can usually store this below deck during the trip. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please click on the "Contact LadyPatty" link to request more information before purchasing your tickets.
- What should I wear?
- We encourage our guests to dress for outdoor comfort appropriate to the time of year. Remember it's usually cooler out on the water, so you may want to bring a sweatshirt or windbreaker just in case. We recommend comfortable shoes like sneakers or sandals. And don't forget your hats, sunglasses and sunscreen on those bright, sunny days in the summer.
- Where can I park?
- Free parking is available in the marina parking lot. Parking details will be provided after you've purchased your tickets.
- Am I going to get seasick?
- The Lady Patty is a steady, gentle vessel. It is rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the boat, you may want to consider light medication if you are prone to motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Can pregnant women attend the sail?
- Yes, as long as the expectant mother feels comfortable with it, we don't have any restrictions.
- Can I bring a pet?
- Sometimes it may be possible for us to accommodate small, well-behaved pets. Please click on the "Contact LadyPatty" link to inquire with us before purchasing your tickets.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Can I stow anything (e.g. my backpack) during the sail?
- There is usually enough room on the boat to store personal items such as backpacks, purses and small coolers. Unfortunately, there isn't room to store larger items such as luggage. If you are bringing a cooler with drinks and snacks, please note that small coolers are better, but note you are also welcome to store your beverages in our large on-board cooler, too.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Once raised, the sails will definitely provide shade to one side of the boat at all times, but there is no covered section of the boat.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- A gratuity for the first mate is not included in the price of the sail, but is greatly appreciated. If your first mate has provided excellent service, a customary tip would be 15-20%.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make great gifts for any occasion! Please click on the “Contact LadyPatty” link if you’re interested in purchasing a gift certificate.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails are available. If you're interested in a private charter, please click on the “Contact LadyPatty” link to the left of the page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants are required to have tickets for this event.
- Our boat is United States Coast Guard inspected for a certain amount of passengers and we cannot exceed the capacity. This means that all passengers, including infants and toddlers, must have a ticket.
Lady Patty Classic Yacht Charters
Captain Jeff has years of experience as a professional mariner in both the commercial and charter industries. He managed all crew, survey and utility boats operations for Maryland Environmental Service on Poplar Island. He was also the First Mate aboard Lady Patty for three years after college.