Take in the natural beauty of the Coastal Carolina maritime forests and salt marshes. Bring your camera to capture some of the best bird and alligator wildlife on South Carolina's Grand Strand. Nature lovers will enjoy the opportunity to see some of the local wildlife up close, possibly even some endangered plant and animal species. The park's freshwater lagoon is a great place to spot some of these creatures, and on the tour you may see:
- A variety of bird species
- Local wildlife including loggerhead turtles and alligators
- Native flora to the park's various eco-systems
- And more...
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out. Note we transport the Segways to the tour location, so we must know in advance how many guests are attending. To maximize your chance of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. You can do this online or over the phone using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What are the age and weight restrictions to ride a Segway?
- Although riding a Segway is relatively easy, corporate policy requires that all riders be at least 14 years of age (an adult or guardian must accompany children under 18). Also, riders should have the ability to make motions such as climbing and descending stairs without assistance. Our Segway models are not appropriate for those weighing under 80 pounds or over 260 pounds.
- Is the tour suitable for pregnant women?
- No, pregnant women are not allowed to ride Segways for safety reasons.
- How much time of the tour is actually spent on a Segway?
- The entire experience is about 2.5 hours from the time you get there including training time. The majority of your time will be on the Segway. We will start off with a short training session and then we'll be on the Segway for the remainder of the time.
- How will I hear the tour guide?
- The tour does not include any formal narration, as it is more about viewing the scenic area. However, based on the group's interests, the guide will make occasional stops along the route to provide information on the various sites. So feel free to ask your guide questions about the things you see along the way.
- Do we go inside any of the buildings?
- In addition to the beautiful nature views in Huntington Beach State Park there are several interesting buildings along the tour route including Atalaya Castle and the Education Center. While interior tours of these buildings are not part of the tour since we cannot take the Segways inside, if the group is interested it is possible to stop and go inside. Otherwise, guests should feel free to leave extra time to tour these sites after their Segway tour is over. There is a $1 entry into Atalaya Castle which is collected on site and used for upkeep of the castle.
- Are there discounts available?
- We occasionally offer promotions which can be applied by entering a promo code when purchasing tickets. Please note that any available discounts can only be applied at the time of purchase.
- What is a Segway?
- A Segway is the first self-balancing, electric-powered transportation device. With dimensions no larger than the average adult body and the ability to emulate human balance, the Segway uses the same space as a pedestrian, and can go wherever a person can walk.
- How does a Segway work?
- This breakthrough technology, termed "dynamic stabilization," is the essence of the Segway models. Dynamic stabilization enables the Segway to work seamlessly with the body's movements. Gyroscopes and tilt sensors in the unit monitor a rider's center of gravity at about 100 times a second. When the rider leans slightly forward, the Segway moves forward. When the rider leans slightly back, the Segway moves backward.
- How do I learn to ride a Segway?
- All customers are required to take a brief hands-on training session to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Riders are trained on Segway operation and emergency stops. All riders are required to wear a safety helmet.
- How safe is a Segway?
- The utmost care and research has gone into ensuring that each Segway model is safe. The Segway's balancing technology is truly revolutionary and provides an exceptional riding experience. Segways have redundant systems and sophisticated alerts built into their design, and many thousands of hours of use have demonstrated that Segways are safe when used appropriately. It is important that Segway riders understand their responsibility to ride safely. Proper skill level and understanding of the Segway prevents injuries caused by loss of control or misuse.
- Do I have to sign a waiver?
- All Segway riders must sign a liability waiver before participating. Riders under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign for them.
- Do I have to wear a helmet?
- Yes, our policy is that all participants must wear a helmet. One will be provided to you free of charge.
- Can I bring a bag or purse with me on the Segway tour?
- While we have the ability to transport small necessary items like wallets and cameras, we recommend bringing only essential items and leaving any non-essential items at home or in your car. Segs by the Sea is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- What happens if it rains?
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions. If it rains, we recommend you bring a poncho instead of an umbrella as you'll need both hands to operate the Segway! In case of severe or unsafe weather, we may need to cancel the tour. If we do cancel the tour, you will be allowed to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive a credit for a future event.
- Is there parking available nearby?
- Yes, there are multiple parking areas inside Huntington Beach State Park.
- Are there restrooms available?
- Yes, there are public restrooms available in the park. However, there are no restroom stops along the tour route. Therefore, it's advised that people use the restroom before we begin the tour. However, in an emergency your guide would do their best to accommodate guests.
- What should I wear?
- Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, as you will be on your feet for the entire time. Generally it is warm and sunny during our tours so you'll want to protect your skin and consider wearing a hat or visor and bringing sunscreen. In case of rain, a poncho is useful. Umbrellas are not suitable as you will need both hands to ride the Segway.
- Will I be able to take pictures along the way?
- Yes!! Bring your camera to capture all the sights of the beautiful Huntington Beach State Park. You will have plenty of photo opportunities and we encourage you to take advantage of them!
- Where does the tour end?
- Tours start and end at the same place. The exact location will be provided to you upon purchasing your tickets.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, the tours are only conducted in English at this time.
- Can I rent a Segway for the day without a guide?
- If you are interested in renting a Segway for a self guided tour of the Market Common District, or for a private event, please click on the "Contact SegsByTheSea" link and be sure to indicate your interest is for our Myrtle Beach location.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, we do offer gift certificates. To purchase one or get more information, please click on the "Contact SegsByTheSea" link and be sure to indicate your interest is for our Myrtle Beach location.
- Are Segways available for private tours and other events?
- Yes. Segs By The Sea offers Segway rentals for private events. We can accommodate a variety of special requests. Please click on the "Contact SegsByTheSea" link and be sure to indicate your interest is for our Myrtle Beach location.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must sign a waiver.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before taking the tour. Participants under the age of 18 must have an adult or guardian sign the waiver for them. All participants are required to wear helmets during the tour which will be provided by Segs by the Sea at no additional charge.
- All participants must meet age and weight requirements
- All Segway riders must be age 14 or older and those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian. Each rider must weigh at least 80 pounds and no more than 260 pounds.
- Not suitable for pregnant women.
- Unfortunately, for safety reasons, pregnant women are not allowed to participate in Segway tours.
- Additional park entry fee is required.
- There is a $5 per person entry fee to enter Huntington Beach State Park. This fee must be paid in cash and goes directly to the park authority and is not part of the ticket price. Please note this fee gives guests access to the park for the entire day.
Segs By The Sea
Aside from guided tours, Myrtle Beach Segway offers:
- Self-guided tours of the Market Common District
- Segway, bicycle and Trikke rentals
- Personalized events (parties, picnics, graduations, scavenger hunts, corporate functions, etc.)