This is a diversified tour that includes both history and beautiful scenic views. Guests will get to experience riding a Segway along a smooth path with water on both sides, where Palmetto trees are plentiful and great views of Fort Sumter, Sullivan's Island and the Charleston Harbor can't be missed.
After a 20-minute training session, we will begin your 1-hour tour on the smooth sidewalks as we glide around the historic old village to discover some of its amazing historic landmarks. Some of the things you'll see and learn about are:
- Ferry Service and Ronkins Long Room - These were used as the temporary Quarters for the Confederate Submarine Crew.
- Aahambra Hall - A beautiful grove of Live Oaks and scenic trails that go within feet of the Charleston Harbor.
- Cove Inlet/Pitt Street - Check out the incredible views of Fort Sumter, Sullivan's Island and Charleston Harbor, while following a smooth path with water on both sides, as you look through the low country. This is a great place to step off the Segway and take pictures.
- A Confederate cemetery - The original burial site for one of the first units mustered into service called the Third Regiment.
It's a one of a kind experience, so book tickets for your Segway adventure today!
- Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?
- Purchasing tickets in advance is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chance of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. You can do this online or over the phone using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Who can ride the Segway?
- It is required that all riders be at least 14 years of age (an adult or guardian must sign the liability waiver for anyone under 18.) The Segway is not appropriate for those weighing under 100 pounds or over 260 pounds.
- How early should I arrive before the start of my tour?
- Please be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes early in order to complete the required training session before the start of your tour. Your safety is our highest priority!
- Is the tour suitable for pregnant women?
- Unfortunately, for safety reasons, pregnant women are not allowed on this tour.
- I have children in my group that are under 14 years old. Can they still come on the tour?
- No, unfortunately children under the age of 14 are not permitted on the tour for safety reasons.
- How much time of the tour is actually spent on a Segway?
- The entire experience lasts approximately 90 minutes. Guests should arrive 30 minutes early because after getting fitted with their helmets we will start off with a 20-minute training session. Then we'll be on the Segway for the remainder of the time, spending a full 60 minutes on the tour.
- How do I learn to ride a Segway?
- All customers are required to partake in a 20-minute hands-on training session to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Riders are trained on Segway operation and emergency stops and all riders are required to wear a safety helmet.
- Can more than one person ride at a time?
- No. Unfortunately, Segways are single person vehicles.
- How does the Segway PT work?
- The Segway Personal Transporter (PT) internal technology consists of an intelligent network of sensors, mechanical assemblies, and control systems that balance and move you on two wheels. The second a rider steps on, five gyroscopes and two accelerometers sense the changing terrain and monitor a rider's center of gravity at about 100 times per second. When the rider leans slightly forward, the Segway moves forward. When the rider leans slightly backward, the Segway moves backward. When you're standing up straight and your weight is neutral, you will simply just be relaxed and not moving at all.
- How fast do the Segways go?
- The Segway moves at the exact speed you want while remaining comfortable and in control. The maximum speed is 12.5 mph or about the pace of a brisk run.
- Is a Segway safe?
- The utmost care and research has gone into ensuring that the Segway is safe. Segway's balancing technology is truly revolutionary and provides an exceptional riding experience. The Segway has multiple redundant subsystems and sophisticated alerts built into its design, and is subjected to millions of cycles of testing to ensure the highest quality, reliability, and durability. Many thousands of hours of use have demonstrated that the Segway is safe when used appropriately. It is important that Segway riders understand their responsibility to ride safely. Proper skill level and understanding of the Segway prevents injuries caused by loss of control or misuse.
- Can you get hurt riding a Segway?
- Segways are safe as long as you follow the safety instructions and training provided to you, as well as the guidance provided by your tour guide. As with anything else, if you are goofing off and not paying attention to your surroundings, you will be subject to Darwin's Law of Natural Selection. Participants should follow instructions and pay close attention to the tour guide at all times.
- Do I have to sign a waiver?
- All Segway riders must sign a liability waiver before participating. Riders under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign for them.
- Do I have to wear a helmet?
- Yes, it is our policy that all participants are required to wear a helmet. One will be provided to you free of charge.
- What happens if it rains?
- In light rain and other light weather conditions we will still go out. Always remember to dress appropriately for the weather. In the case of rain, bring a poncho; umbrellas are not suitable as you will need both hands to operate the Segway. If we need to cancel the event due to severe weather, you can either reschedule (subject to availability) or receive a voucher for a future tour date.
- Where does the tour end?
- We will return to our tour departure point at the end of the tour. The exact address of our meeting location will be provided to you upon purchasing your tickets.
- If I'm a Charleston native, will I enjoy this tour?
- Though you may have seen the sights before, you will still enjoy the unique experience of gliding around Charleston on a Segway and seeing the city from a different perspective.
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way? What about souvenirs?
- We recommend you arrive full, as you can only bring necessary items on the Segway. You will be able to buy souvenirs at the beginning and end of the tour at our meeting spot. We encourage you to visit the gift shop at the end of the tour.
- Are restrooms available?
- There are bathrooms at the start of the tour at the shop, but no scheduled rest stops. Please let your guide know if you need to make a stop and they will do their best to accommodate.
- How will I hear the tour guide?
- You will have no trouble hearing the guide as we keep the groups small and intimate. Your guide will stop at various points along the way to point out the important sites.
- Will we stop to take photos?
- It’s totally up to you. We would be happy to take group pictures with you on the Segway or you can get off to take your own pictures. We do have a lot of ground to cover, so time to take photos will be limited to ensure that we can finish the tour on schedule.
- Do Segways have the ability to store bags, purses?
- We have the ability to transport necessary items i.e. cameras, medications etc. All other personal belongings will be kept at the meeting location. Segway of Charleston is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- What type of shoes should I wear?
- Comfortable and flat-soled shoes, such as sneakers, are required. Please note we advise riders not to wear high heels, Shape-Ups and open-toed shoes such as flip-flops.
- Is there parking available nearby?
- Yes, parking is available for free in a lot at our meeting location.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, the tours are only conducted in English. However, our non-English speaking guests will still enjoy the experience of riding a Segway and the beautiful scenic views of Charleston.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, we do offer gift certificates. To purchase one or get more information, please click on the "Contact SegwayofChar" link on the left side of the page.
- Are Segway rentals available through Segway of Charleston?
- Yes! Please click on the "Contact SegwayofChar" link on the left side of the page if you're interested in doing a private rental instead of a tour.
- Can I arrange for a private/corporate/business event?
- Yes, we offer private groups tours for corporate functions and other private events. We offer drop-off and pick-up of the Segways, as well as provide guides to assist with training, information, and support throughout your event. For more information, please click on the "Contact SegwayofChar" link on the left side of the page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must meet age and weight requirements.
- All Segway tour participants must be at least 14 years of age. Those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian. All participants must also weigh between 100 and 260 pounds.
- Participants must sign a liability waiver.
- All participants must sign a liability waiver before taking the tour. Participants under the age of 18 must have an adult or guardian sign the waiver for them. Helmets are also required and are provided by Segway of Charleston at no additional charge.
- The tour is not suitable for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, pregnant women are not allowed on this tour.
- Participants MUST arrive 30 minutes beforehand.
- Participants MUST arrive 30 minutes before the tour to participate in a mandatory training session. Refunds will not be provided for those who miss the training session and are unable to participate in the tour.
Segway of Charleston
Our tours explore the historic Old Village of Mt. Pleasant, SC just a stone's throw away from downtown Charleston. These Segway tours are the perfect way to discover some of the fascinating historical landmarks in the area as well as check out some of the most beautiful views in the area including Charleston Harbor, Fort Sumter and Sullivan's Island.
No experience riding a Segway? None required! Our team of professionals will start your tour with a safety training session, and once you've acquired your Segway skills you'll be gliding on your way! You'll be surprised at how much fun you'll have riding these amazing, self-balancing machines ... and there's no better place to do it than scenic and historic Charleston!
We offer our one and two-hour tours several times throughout the day. We also have 1/2 day and full day Segway rentals available, for which training and delivery can be arranged at your convenience.
We look forward to gliding with you soon!