Please note that the event time is not necessarily your pickup time. You are welcome to pick up your bike at any time during the day that you reserve! However, please let us know approximately what time you will be picking up your bike when you check out. You must pick up your bike within two hours of the time you specify.
Don't know where to ride? Don't worry! We have plenty of suggestions for routes, and maps for you as well!
Your 24 hour rental includes:
- Individually fitted high-end Carbon road bike
- Flat pedals or toe cages, or your pedals installed for you (SPD, SPD-SL, or Look pedals can be rented for $20)
- Map of Boston (maps of Massachusetts and Greater Boston are available for a small charge)
- Flat kit (you will only be charged for used or lost materials)
Bikes can also be rented for multiple days, subject to availability. Use the “Contact AdvenTours” link to arrange a longer rental.
Delivery is available via the vegetable oil-powered BioBus. If interested, please click on the “Contact AdvenTours” link on the left to let us know your needs.
What Is Not Included?
Flat kits are included! There is only a $5 charge if used to cover the cost of materials.
- Do I have to pick up my bike at the exact time I selected?
- No. As stated in the event description, the event times are a ballpark figure. You can, however, leave us a note telling us the approximate time that you plan to arrive.
- How do I know if a carbon road bike rental is for me?
- If you want a fast, comfortable bike, whether it's for a race, a long, fast ride, or just to try the next step up, a carbon road bike is perfect.
- What is the difference between a carbon road bike and a standard road bike?
- First and foremost, Carbon frames are much lighter than other types of frames such as Aluminum or Steel. The weight difference is instantly apparent, and in addition, many people prefer the ride quality of carbon, as it soaks up many of the bumps and vibrations in the road.
- What is the difference between a carbon road bike and a hybrid bike?
- Road bikes are intended to be ridden at higher speeds and for longer distances than Hybrid bikes are. They are lighter weight, and their more aggressive geometry affords better handling at high speeds. In addition, your riding stance on the bike will be more aggressive and forward, rather than sitting semi-upright on a hybrid.
- Do I have to purchase a carbon road bike rental in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended as the number of bicycles is limited. In order to book in advance, you can only pay with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Are children welcome to rent a carbon bike rental?
- Road bikes are typically best suited for the more mature rider. We offer standard hybrid bike rentals and we find that these are usually best suited for children and families. You can check out our standard hybrid bike rental by following the link to the left of the page.
- Can I rent a trailer or other attachment for my carbon road bike?
- No. Trailers can only be attached to our hybrid bikes.
- What does my carbon bike rental include?
- Bike rentals include an individually fitted and freshly tuned bike, a helmet, and a map of Boston. Locks are available if desired, but we ask that you be very careful when locking the bike, as careless locking can cause serious damage to the frame or components.
- How long do the carbon bike rentals last?
- Rentals last for 24 hours, though you are welcome to return your bike earlier, of course. There is no overnight charge but late rentals will be charged for an extra day. Again, we ask that if you are returning or picking up in the evening that you arrive no less than 30 minutes before closing.
- Do you offer delivery?
- Yes! Please contact us directly by clicking the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to arrange a delivery. Please allow AT LEAST 24 hours notice for delivery!
- What types of pedals do you offer?
- We offer flat or cage pedals, or will install your own pedals for no charge. You may also rent our specialty pedals for $20, non-recurring. We offer Shimano SPD pedals, which use a 2-bolt cleat, SPD-SL pedals, which use 3-bolt cleats, and Look's Keo classic pedals, which also use a 3-bolt system. We do not provide shoes or cleats for rental.
- Are the carbon bike rentals safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company and our bikes are kept in tip-top shape. Be sure to allow a few minutes during your pickup for us to fit your bike to you. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with reflectors. Lights are available with your rental for just $15, if you desire.
- Is there a security deposit?
- You need to bring a credit card with you, so we can hold on to your information in the case of damaged equipment. Your credit card will not be charged. We will simply copy down the card number and other payment information as a security measure.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The rental will typically go as planned in a light rain. If Urban AdvenTours feels it is unsafe to ride a bicycle, we will contact you on the day of the rental to reschedule to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate. We try to be flexible with rescheduling, but please note that tickets are nonrefundable.
- What happens if a carbon bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversary gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact this seller" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver before renting a bike.
- Upon arrival, participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
- All rentals require a credit card authorization.
- All participants must provide a credit card at the start of the rental. There will be no charge on the card. The information will only be used in the case of damage or loss of property.
- Customers are responsible for the safe and timely return of all rented equipment.
- If a rental bicycle or helmet is lost, stolen, damaged or not returned to Urban AdvenTours, you will be charged for its full retail value. If you do not return equipment by the end of business on the day of your rental, you will be charged for an additional day. This fee will be charged to the credit card information you provide at check in.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!