**Please note that the event time listed above is not necessarily your pickup time.** You can pick up your bike any time on the day you select! However, please let us know approximately what time you plan to pick up your bike when purchasing your rental. You must pick up your bike within 2 hours of the time you specify.
Mountain bikes are made for more "heavy-duty" use - larger tires with lots of knobs, suspension to soak up bumps, & geometry that makes them more stable on rough terrain. This level of rental gets you a Hardtail Mountain Bike with 26 or 29 inch wheels.
Your 24 hour rental includes:
- Individually fitted & freshly tuned mountain bike.
- Map of Boston
- Suggestions for where to ride & directions.
We also offer standard bike rentals for the average rider and other specialty bike rentals. Check out our full list of rental offerings by scrolling through the "Also from AdvenTours" list to the left!
Bikes can also be rented for multiple days, subject to availability. Use the “Contact AdvenTours” link if you are interested in a multi-day rental.
Delivery is available via the vegetable oil-powered BioBus. If interested, please click on the “Contact AdvenTours” link and let us know your needs.
What Is Not Included?
Flat kits are included! There is only a $5 charge if used to cover the cost of materials.
- Do I have to pick up my bike at the exact time I selected?
- No. As stated in the event description, the event times are a ballpark figure. You can select the time you plan to pick up your bike on the purchase page.
- How do I know if a mountain bike rental is for me?
- Easy! If you want to get out of the city and into the woods, leave the pavement behind, and aren't afraid of dirt, mountain biking would be an ideal fit for you. Whether you're a veteran of Whistler or just want to give it a try for a day, almost anyone will have a blast with mountain biking.
- What is the difference between a Mountain bike and a Hybrid bike?
- Mountain bikes are made for more "heavy-duty" use - larger tires with lots of knobs, suspension to soak up bumps, and geometry that makes them more stable on rough terrain. They have a very wide range of gears, which makes them easier to ride up steep inclines. lastly, they have disc brakes, which afford easier speed control, and are less affected by water, dirt, or mud.
- What are some of the advantages to renting a mountain bike instead of a hybrid bike?
- Basically, you will be able to ride more confidently and comfortably on rough terrain with a mountain bike than with a hybrid bike. If you want to ride on wooded trails more than city streets, we would suggest a mountain bike over a hybrid bike.
- Can I rent a trailer or other attachment for my mountain bike?
- No. Trailers can only be attached to our hybrid bikes.
- Are children welcome to rent a mountain bike?
- Mountain bikes are typically best suited for the more mature rider. We offer standard hybrid bike rentals and we find that these are usually best suited for children and families (you can check it out at the left of this page). However, if your children are experienced in mountain biking, we do have some smaller mountain bikes. Please use the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to inquire about availability.
- What does my mountain bike rental include?
- Mountain bike rentals include an individually fitted and freshly tuned bike, a helmet, and a map of Boston. Locks are available if desired, but we ask that you be very careful when locking the bike, as careless locking can cause serious damage to the frame or components.
- How long do the mountain bike rentals last?
- Rentals last for 24 hours, though you are welcome to return your bike earlier, of course. There is no overnight charge but late rentals will be charged for an extra day. Again, we ask that if you are returning or picking up in the evening that you arrive no less than 30 minutes before closing.
- Do you offer delivery?
- Yes! Please contact us directly by clicking the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to arrange a delivery. Please allow AT LEAST 24 hours notice for delivery!
- Are the mountain bike rentals safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. Be sure to arrive 20 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments, to ensure a safe and secure fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and can be outfitted with lights if you desire. Remember, though, that mountain biking does involve risks, and you alone are the only one who can guarantee safety on the trails!
- Do I have to purchase a mountain bike rental in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Advance purchase is recommended as the number of bicycles is limited. In order to book in advance, you can only pay with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there a security deposit?
- You need to bring a credit card with you, so we can hold on to your information in the case of damaged equipment. Your credit card will not be charged. We will simply copy down the card number and other payment information as a security measure.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The rental will typically go as planned in a light rain, but not in more severe or unsafe weather conditions. If AdvenTours feels it is unsafe to ride a bicycle, we will contact you on the day of the rental to reschedule to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate.
- What happens if a mountain bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely! We offer gift certificates for all the products that we offer, as well as gift cards which can be loaded with a specific dollar amount. To purchase, please use the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver before renting a bike.
- Upon arrival, participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
- All rentals require a credit card authorization.
- All participants must provide a credit card at the start of the rental. There will be no charge on the card. The information will only be used in the case of damage or loss of property.
- Customers are responsible for the safe and timely return of all rented equipment.
- If a rental bicycle, helmet, or any accessory is lost, stolen, damaged or not returned to Urban AdvenTours, you will be charged for its full retail value. If you do not return equipment by the end of business on the day of your rental, you will be charged for an additional day. This fee will be charged to the credit card information you provide at check in.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!