Join us to Sea & Taste Santa Cruz with our Olive Oil Pairings-Taste and Sail.
When you hear Olive Oil and Sailing together, we're not just talking Popeye the sailor-man and his flirty girlfriend, Olive Oyl!
This sail pairs together the beautiful backdrop of the Santa Cruz Coastline along with the opportunity to navigate along with the extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff from True Olive Connection, a local boutique specializing in unique, high-quality olive oils from around the world, who will explain olive oil tasting techniques, culinary use, and influences on food style and quality. This entertaining and educational event, allows guests to learn how to taste several different styles of olive oil and Balsamic Vinegars while sailing the Monterey Bay.
Pairing is more than an art, it’s a reason to come together and celebrate with friends and family! Their fresh products are wonderful for salad dressing, baking, marinades and even elixirs for soda water and cocktails.
Spinach is optional on this sail!
What Is Not Included?
- No beverages are included, but there is a beverage bar on board that sells wine, beer, soda and water. Bring extra cash with you, as it's cash only!
- Souvenir Sweatshirts & T-Shirts will be available on board as well.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- We highly recommend you purchase tickets in advance, as sails do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day you prefer, please book well in advance! You can purchase your tickets with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- If the trip is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- No, we do not keep a waiting list for our sails. Sails often sell out and typically well in advance, so please make sure to purchase your tickets far in advance - especially if you have limited time availability.
- What can I expect on this sail?
- In addition to a beautiful sail on the Monterey Bay, you will have fun tasting our favorite fresh items from our favorite local olive oil boutique, True Olive Connection. We will showcase their newest Olive Oil varietals as well as aged balsamic vinegars. Some of the True Olive Connections most popular pairings include Blood Orange organic olive oil with Cranberry Pear Balsamic, Lemon Olive Oil with Espresso Balsamic, and Chipotle Olive Oil with Tangerine or Raspberry Balsamic.
- How many samples do we get to try?
- We will offer over 12 Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar pairings.
- Is this event appropriate for children?
- Yes, children are welcome and also enjoy pairing the oils and vinegars. Those under 12 are required to wear life jackets at all times during the sail. O’Neill Yacht Charters will provide Coast Guard approved life jackets. We ask that your children are supervised at all times while on the boat, as well as on the dock.
- Will I have the opportunity to make any purchases on the sail?
- Yes, True Olive Connections will offer a Sample Pack of 6 pairings from the day’s selections for $29.95 as well as 375ml bottles for $15.00 which are easy to carry off the boat.
- Are drinks or food served on the sail?
- On this sail you will get to sample a number of olive oils and vinegars along with bread for tasting, but you are still welcome to bring your own snacks and beverages ((non-alcoholic)), or purchase a drink from our beverage bar (cash sales only).
- Can I bring alcohol on the cruise?
- There is a beverage bar on board that sells wine, beer, soda and water. Bring extra cash with you! (ranging from $2 - $5). You are always welcome to bring any food or drinks of your own that you would like to enjoy along the way, too!
- What time do we board?
- Guest boarding begins approximately 15 minutes before departure. A typical sail begins with a safety briefing after all passengers are boarded. This includes location of life jackets, where to walk on the boat, and location of the bathroom. The boat leaves the dock promptly at the scheduled time.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking in and around the Santa Cruz Harbor. Metered spots cost $1.00 per hour, so bring your quarters! Street parking is no charge during the off season, but a permit is needed the 1st weekend in April thru Labor day on Saturday, Sunday and Holidays from 11am-5pm. Weekend daily permits cost $7.00 and can be purchased at East Cliff Drive and 9th Ave. Lot parking next to the Crows Nest begins at $1.00 and goes up from there. We suggest that you plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled start time so you have time to park and check in before boarding.
- How should I dress?
- Keep in mind that it is often windy and cooler on the water. Dressing in layers is recommended - we always suggest bringing an extra jacket, sweater or sweatshirt. Sunscreen and sunglasses are also very important. The sun can be intense on a sailboat as it is magnified by being reflected off the water. You may wish to bring binoculars or a camera along.
- What type of shoes should I wear?
- We kindly request that you do not wear black soled shoes or high heels on board – soft non-scuffing white or light rubber soled shoes or barefoot would be preferred. If appropriate shoes are not worn on board, we will ask you to place them in a basket and go boating barefoot.
- Are we sailing the entire time?
- We try to sail for as much of the time as possible. Usually there is a good breeze on the Monterey Bay and we're able to sail for almost all of the cruise.
- Is the Catamaran safe?
- Absolutely. The Team O’Neill catamaran is a stable, gentle vessel. Because it has two hulls, instead of one as in a regular sailboat, the sail is smoother and steadier. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We also have life jackets for every passenger on board.
- How many passengers can you accommodate?
- The maximum capacity is 49 passengers (including infants), plus captain and crew.
- Do I need to know how to swim?
- No, you will board and disembark straight from the dock to the deck of the Team O’Neill Catamaran. The boat is also fully equipped with life jackets for anyone who would like one. Children 12 years of age and under must wear a life jacket at all times while on the boat.
- Will I get wet?
- Aside from the occasional misty breeze, you should stay dry during most of the sail. You may feel some spray when you venture onto the trampoline on the bow of the boat.
- Are life jackets available?
- We do carry a sufficient number of jackets for all passengers. We only require that children under 12 wear one during the sail.
- Am I likely to get seasick?
- Our catamaran is a comfortable, stable vessel with a lot of space. The one hour trip serves as a short introductory sail that will acclimate you to sailing on the Monterey Bay, so you shouldn’t have a problem unless you are particularly prone to motion sickness. In that case, we recommend you consult a doctor before attending and take preventative measures.
- Are pets allowed?
- We do love pets, but pets of any kind are unfortunately not allowed on the boat.
- Can I stow anything like my backpack during the sail?
- There is an area inside the cabin where you can store your belongings; however, we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, bathrooms aboard boats are called heads, and there is a fully functional one complete with running water, toilet paper and soap.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the weather. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future sail. Keep in mind that a little fog or cool weather won't keep us from sailing.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Is the Catamaran handicap accessible? Can I bring a wheelchair?
- Unfortunately the boat is not wheelchair accessible. If you have limited mobility and can leave your wheelchair behind and be helped onto the boat, you are more than welcome to attend. Remember that the restrooms on board are not handicapped accessible so you will need assistance to visit the restroom. If you have more questions, please click on the “Contact SailONeill” link to see if you can be accommodated.
- Is there seating onboard?
- Yes. The inside cabin can seat up to 15 people comfortably, and there is bench seating for 10-12 in the back of the boat, as well as ample trampoline seating.
- Is smoking allowed on board?
- No, smoking is not allowed on board.
- Is a gratuity included in the ticket price?
- Gratuities for your Team O’Neill crew are not included in your ticket price. If you have a great time and wish to recognize the contributions of your crew, you're welcome to give any one of them a tip to be shared by all. We are occasionally asked what a typical tip is - ultimately the decision is yours, but 15% is common.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- We do offer gift certificates. If you're interested, let us know by clicking on the “Contact SailONeill” link and someone from O'Neill Yacht Charters will contact you.
- Can I book a corporate or private charter?
- Yes, private sails aboard the Team O’Neill Catamaran are unique and elegant events for corporate gatherings, weddings, or other special events. To book a private charter, please click on the "Contact SailONeill" link and let us know what you'd like! Someone from O’Neill Yacht Charters will contact you shortly.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Children under 12 must wear a life jacket during the sail.
- All participating children who are under the age of 12 years old must wear a life jacket at all times during the sail. Adults must supervise their children at all times.
O'Neill Yacht Charters
O'Neill has been serving the sailing community since 1965. All of our skippers have extensive sailing backgrounds and are all licensed by the United States Coast Guard. Our skippers also have trans-Pacific sailing experience and an extensive knowledge of the local waters.