This comprehensive tour covers all of Boston's best sites, including:
- The North End - Boston's oldest residential neighborhood
- The Freedom Trail
- The Charles River Esplanade - Boston's riverfront paradise
- Fenway Park - The heart of Red Sox Nation
- The Christian Science Center - The birthplace of Christian Science
- The beautiful brownstones in Back Bay and the South End
- Copley Square - including the Boston Public Library, Trinity Church, and the John Hancock Building
- The Boston Common - America's oldest park
- The Rose Kennedy Greenway - Boston's newest public park
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
- Are Urban AdvenTours for all levels of riders?
- You don't need to be Lance Armstrong to enjoy an Urban AdvenTours ride - we welcome all levels of riders. However, 70% of the tour will be on the road with traffic, so please be prepared to ride attentively.
- Are the tours safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. PLEASE be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with reflectors and lights after dark. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace: We usually have a ratio of one guide per five to seven riders. UA staff will also provide advice for safe city riding. On the City View Tour, about 70% of riding is done on city streets alongside cars. However, there are new bike lanes popping up every day! The remaining 30% of the tour covers the bike path on the Esplanade and the Fenway.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- No, but advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours may sell out or be cancelled if there are no reservations. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour, or there will be a link to it provided on your e-ticket.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- Urban AdvenTours will supply each rider with water for the tour. There are snacks available for purchase at our shop.
- How long do the tours last?
- Tours generally last 2.5 hours. However, depending on your group, traffic, and other factors, the tour may last up to 3 hours.
- How much distance does the tour cover?
- The tour covers between 10 and 13 miles depending on traffic, weather, and the group's ability.
- Does the tour run after dark?
- During the early spring and late fall, the afternoon tour may run close to dusk, but it will not be dark out during any point in the tour. If you would like to take a tour at night, please consider our 6pm Bikes @ Night tour.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The tour will typically run in a light rain, but not in more severe or unsafe weather conditions. If AdvenTours needs to cancel the tour, we will contact you on the day of the tour to reschedule your tickets to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- You will be able to use the bathroom before the tour departs, but there is no designated bathroom stop on the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour?
- While it is extremely unlikely, the customer would be liable for the full retail cost of the bicycle if it were determined that they were at fault for the loss or theft.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour, but keep in mind that tours generally last about 2.5 hours. Kid bikes, "trailer" bikes, and child seats are all available. A private tour is also a great alternative for groups with children! Please note that Massachusetts State Law forbids children younger than 1 year from riding on a bicycle. Please add a note in your booking that you will have children attending so we can plan accordingly!
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- The best thing you can do for your children is to book a private tour! After you have done that, we will be able to provide your child with a "pint sized" bicycle or a towing attachment for parents with toddlers. Click "Contact AdvenTours" to inquire about taking a tour with your children.
- What kinds of child attachments available for the bikes?
- Please contact us directly via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about attachments. We have child seats (attach to an adult's bike on a rack right behind the adult over the rear; for kids too young to ride a bike), Trail-a-bikes (attach to an adult’s bike on the seat post for children who are big enough to ride a bike, but may not be able to ride a without training wheels confidently or handle the pacing of a tour), and Burley trailers (can carry up to two children and up to 100 pounds, but are not available on public tours). Please click "Contact AdvenTours" to inquire. Thank you!
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Only if you promise to send us the video!
- Can I rent a bike without going on a guided tour?
- Yes, rentals are available through Zerve for advance purchase.
- Can I get a specialty bike for this tour?
- Yes. Specialty road and mountain bikes can be arranged at an additional cost with two days notice. Please click "Contact AdvenTours" for details.
- Can I take a tandem bike on the tour?
- Tandems are not usually allowed on tour because they can be difficult to maneuver on the streets and paths. If you are an experienced tandem rider or one of your party is unable to ride by themselves, please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to make special arrangements.
- Can I bring my own bike on the tour?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in good condition! (We do reserve the right to ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape - we'll store your bike though!). There is no discounted rate for bringing your own bike, but we will give you a FREE Urban AdvenTours t-shirt upon arrival!
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. While your bags will be stored in as secure a location as possible, we cannot be held responsible for lost/damaged items.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversary gifts. To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours and getting some exercise.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours which can be from 5 to 30 people in size. For large groups, we split up for safety and service reasons. Custom tours are great for convention goers, corporations, and student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click "Contact AdvenTours" to the left of the page.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 5-10 people, though occasionally reach numbers between 20 and 40 during our busy season. Multiple tour guides ride on larger tours to ensure your safety and the quality of the experience. We can also split large tours into two separate groups.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!