Take an R-rated, adults-only, uncensored look at Charleston's true history, full of corruption, prostitution, crime and sordid affairs. Every city has its dirty secrets. Find out what really goes on in the streets of the Holy City.
This is a HISTORY tour. THIS IS NOT A GHOST TOUR.
On this tour, we'll take you right in the middle of:
- The brutal murder of Rumpty Rattles in front of what is today the Gucci store on Market street. Only a Charleston lawyer could get a gunman charged with shooting a man in the back acquitted on self-defense.
- The old Speak Easy's where bootlegger Vincent J. Chicco made a fortune selling tickets to "Blind Tiger Fights," then used his money and influence to win election to the City Council for four consecutive terms. He also managed to be the chief investigator of all alcohol related crimes.
- The brothels banned by the Navy in WWII when a study revealed Charleston sailors had the highest VD rate in the country.
- Where freelance hookers known as "mattress girls" turned the Holy City's streets into Hell (or Heaven) on Earth.
- Other topics might include slavery, burial practices, and scandals.
- Why is The Darkside of Charleston Rated R?
- The Darkside of Charleston is an adult history tour. Topics include brothels, scandals, murder, crime, bootlegging, and prostitution. It is only suitable for people who are at least 17 years old, even if your child has watched an obscene amount of cable TV! THIS IS A HISTORY TOUR, NOT A GHOST TOUR.
- Does The Darkside of Charleston have any age restrictions?
- Yes. This tour contains adult content and is not suitable for people under 17 years old. We reserve the right to refuse anyone who does not provide proof of age. Refunds will not be given to those under the age of 17 who have purchased tickets. If you look young, we will card you.
- Can I bring my child on this tour? Are there reduced prices for young children?
- There is only one standard, adult ticket price for this tour. This tour contains adult content and is not suitable for those under 17 years old. We reserve the right to refuse anyone who does not provide proof of age. Refunds will not be given to those under the age of 17 who have purchased tickets.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advanced purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out well in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance.
- What if it rains?
- Tours will go on rain or shine. If there is a hurricane in Charleston at the time of the tour, there is no need to show up. We will be busy boarding up windows or throwing a Hurricane Party. (Seriously though, we run in every kind of weather.)
- Are restrooms available?
- Unfortunately, there are no designated restroom stops along the tour route.
- What is the difference between your tours? Are they appropriate for children?
- Each tour goes to a unique location. The Charleston Ghost and Dungeon Tour and The Charleston Ghost & Graveyard Tour are family oriented but if your child screams the entire trip, we do ask you keep that child at least 100 feet from the other guests. And if your child freaks out from hearing ghost stories, it is probably your fault, not ours. The Haunted Jail Tour may be too scary for young children or easily frightened adults. The Darkside of Charleston tour is rated R and not recommended for children because it contains adult content.
- Are cameras & video recorders allowed on the tours?
- YES!! In fact, we highly recommend taking pictures during the tour. We often get pictures of some eerie stuff from our guests – especially from The Dungeon (Charleston Ghost & Dungeon Tour) and the Jail (Haunted Jail Tour)!! We would appreciate you sending anything out of the ordinary to us. You can e-mail us any photos.
- Are we gonna see a ghost on the any of the tours?
- Maybe. However, there is a minimal charge of $3 per person if we see a ghost. That is, if you stick around to actually PAY the $3!!
- What about ghosts in the Old City Jail?
- Let's just say that if you get scared easily, do not take The Haunted Jail Tour!! The Jail is not quite as scary if it is light outside. Perhaps the 7pm depending on the time of the year.
- Where does the tour end?
- All tours end in the vicinity of the meeting location in Charleston’s Historic Market District.
- How much walking is involved?
- The tour lasts approximately 1.5 hours and covers about 3/4 mile. There are frequent stops along the way and the tour is far from strenuous unless you are grotesquely out of shape, in which case, the walk did you some good. Your doctor and our boss thank you for taking the tour.
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way? What about souvenirs?
- Unfortunately, because of time constraints, we make only scheduled stops. You may want to bring a bottle of water as it can get fairly warm in Charleston.
- Are these tours only for tourists?
- Of course not. All Bulldog Tours are chock full of facts and stories even the oldest Charlestonian couldn't tell you. Tourists and locals alike all learn things about Charleston they didn't know before and have a great time in the process.
- Is the tour wheelchair- and/or stroller-accessible?
- Using a wheelchair or a stroller can be very difficult in Charleston due to 300 year-old cobblestone and slate streets. Also, navigating the graveyards and the uneven dungeon floor can be challenging.
- Are there any discounts available?
- Customers booking through Zerve will automatically receive a $2 per adult ticket website discount on all adult tickets. This will effectively cancel out the $2 ticket fee charged by Zerve for advanced tickets. Additionally, an extra $1 per adult ticket will automatically be taken off for purchases including 8 or more adult tickets. No further discounts will be applied upon check-in.
- I have a group of more than 20 people. Will we all be able to attend the tour together?
- Unfortunately, Charleston law prohibits us from leading walking tour groups larger than 20 participants. If your group exceeds 20 people, please keep in mind that we will have to split you into smaller groups in accordance with the law.
- Do we guarantee the tours?
- Yes, if you are not 100% satisfied with the tour, your money will be refunded.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. But you don’t need to understand every word out of the tour guide’s mouth to see the historic and supernatural sights.
- Can I arrange for a private event?
- Yes! A private Bulldog tour can make any occasion more memorable. Please click “Contact Bulldog” to the left of the page to find out more. Advanced notice is required.
- Can I buy a gift certificate?
- Bulldog Tours does offer gift certificates. To purchase or find out more information, please click “Contact Bulldog”.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- People under 17 are not allowed on the Darkside of Charleston tour.
- This tour contains adult content and is not suitable for those under 17 years old. We reserve the right to refuse anyone who does not provide proof of age. Refunds will not be given to those under the age of 17 who have purchased tickets.
- Online Coupon
- Customers booking through Zerve will automatically receive a $2 per adult ticket website discount on all adult tickets. This will effectively cancel out the $2 ticket fee charged by Zerve for advanced tickets. No further discounts will be applied upon check-in. Please proceed to the next page for a breakdown of your total charges.
A portion of everyone's admission is donated to the preservation of the Historic streets and sidewalks of Charleston. Bulldog Tours is committed to preserving America's rich history (and not just the pretty stuff).