Cross the Charles River and enter the City of Cambridge. Renowned as one of America’s most bicycle-friendly cities, you will experience the atmosphere and appeal of Cambridge as only possible on two wheels. Touted as "Boston's Left Bank," Cambridge is a hotspot of arts and academia.
This extensive tour, specifically designed to show you the overall experience of Cambridge, includes:
- Harvard Square, the heart of Harvard University
- Central Square - A famed area for its arts and music scene
- The Charles River
- MIT - The Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- The Stata Center - Frank Gehry's only project in Massachusetts
Your tour includes an individually-fitted bike, helmet, water, and, of course, a friendly and knowledgeable guide who will lead you on your travels. The tour is 2.5-3 hours long and covers 10-12 miles. From the cycling paths on the Charles River to the booming industry of Kendall Square, this tour will show you the most exciting and vibrant parts of Cambridge!
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun tour from North End to Cambridge
|gcbiketx||Wed, May 13 2:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My wife and I took this bike tour on a recent trip to Boston, and we both loved it. We rode from the North End along the Saint Charles River to tour Cambridge, MIT, and Harvard. We saw much more on bike than we would have seen walking or driving. Craig, the tour guide, set a pace that was just right to keep our small group of riders together, and he explained the sights along the route in a very interesting way. The bikes we rode were city bikes with comfortable seats and disc brakes. They were obviously well-maintained and functioned perfectly. We will for sure take another of the tours offered by Urban AdvenTours the next time we are in Boston.
|betovc||Tue, Apr 21 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I really reccomend
Vary funny ride. We enjoy a lot
|eamastracco||Mon, Oct 13, 14 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Great ride. The route was flat and easy to navigate. It was more of a bike ride than a tour because half of the ride was along the Charles River. Our guide was always aware of how our group was handling the ride and was a kind man. I would highly recommend the tour because we visited many sites that we would not have normally visited along the river.
Needs a little more...
|Waffalo99||Mon, Jul 14, 14 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
...sight seeing even if it makes the tour a little longer. Was overall pleasant but actually did not see that much a long the way. Only got to see some sights at the tours destination (MIT & Harvard). Tour guides need to point out a little more "a long the way" : )
gentle cycle on great cycle lanes
|suestockton||Sun, Jul 13, 14 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Knowledgeable guide however the group was quite large
Fun Way to See Boston
|Lizjordan23||Tue, Jun 24, 14 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Tour de Cambridge was a great way for me, my husband and 17-year-old daughter to see as much of Boston as possible in a 2.5 hour time frame. The bikes were new and easy to ride, and our guide, Baylor, was engaging and personable. We were lucky to have gorgeous weather and a small group...Boston is an immensely "bike-able" city--not hilly and Cambridge has bike lanes. We got to walk through Harvard Yard, see MIT, stop for ice cream and ride along the Charles River. We kept a comfortable pace and saw a lot of the city! Recommend--especially if you have teens in your group.
Great way to see the city!
|webbdana||Sat, Jun 7, 14 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
My husband, son, and I did the tour of Cambridge with Karen and Mike. They were very informative and made the trip very enjoyable. We were with a group of about 10 others. I would definitely recommend this tour!
Great way to see boston and surroundings
|Howie2306||Sun, Jun 1, 14 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was a great way to see Cambridge, on bike. Boston is so flat and made for the bike. Informative guide, saw lots of things that you would never see on foot. The universities, Harvard. It's the second time I've done a tour so can't speak highly enough of them.
|bostovarpour||Sat, Apr 12, 14 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Great customer service from selection of bikes to holding unnecessary items at the store until our return. Good pace of ride, punctuated, but not dominated, by a commentary. Overall, we were well pleased.
Great ride through Cambridge.
|afalicov||Thu, Apr 10, 14 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We took the Cambridge tour with our 2 kids 15 and 11. It was great. The ride was well organized and we had an educational and fun ride from the. North End to MIT to central square to Harvard and then back along the Charles river. I highly recommend the ride. The guides stop every few minutes and give history about the various sites overall a great experience.
- Are Urban AdvenTours for all levels of riders?
- You don't need to be Lance Armstrong to enjoy an Urban AdvenTours ride - we welcome intermediate cyclists and above. However, 75% of the tour will be on the road with traffic, so be prepared.
- Are the tours safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. Be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with headlights and reflective strips. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace. We usually have a ratio of one guide per six riders. UA staff can also provide advice for safe city riding.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- Urban AdvenTours will supply each rider with a bottle of water. Please bring a sports drink or snacks if you think you might like them. We will probably not make any stops for food or drink during the tour.
- How long do the tours last?
- Tours generally last 2.5 hours. However, depending on your group, traffic, and other factors, the tour may last up to 3.5 hours.
- Does the tour run after dark?
- During the early spring and late fall, the tour may run close to dusk, but it will not be dark out during any point in the tour. If you would like to take a tour at night, please consider our 6pm Bikes @ Night tour.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The tour will typically run in a light rain, but not in more severe or unsafe weather conditions. If AdvenTours needs to cancel the tour, we will contact you on the day of the tour to reschedule your tickets to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- Yes, there is one bathroom stop in the middle of the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Since the tour is at least three hours long and some children have a limited attention span and energy level, the tour may not be appropriate for kids under 10 years old. Private tours are always available and perhaps best for families with more than one child.
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- The best thing you can do for your children is to book a private tour! After you have done that, we will be able to provide your child with a "pint sized" bicycle or a towing attachment for parents with toddlers. Click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about taking a tour with your children.
- What kinds of child attachments are available for the bikes?
- Please contact us directly via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about attachments. We have child seats (attach to an adult's bike on a rack right behind the adult over the rear; for kids too young to ride a bike), Trail-a-bikes (attach to an adult’s bike on the seat post for children who are big enough to ride a bike, but may not be able to ride a without training wheels confidently or handle the pacing of a tour), and Burley trailers (can carry up to two children and up to 100 pounds, but are not available on public tours). Please contact us via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire. Thank you!
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Can I bring my own bike?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in top-notch condition! (We do reserve the right to turn you away or ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape). There is no discounted rate for bringing your own bike, but we will give you a FREE Urban AdvenTours t-shirt upon arrival!
- Can I rent a bike?
- Yes! If you'd like to rent a bike, please check out our Tour Boston by Bicycle Self-Guided Rental activity by clicking the "List of All Activities" link on the lefthand side of this page.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 2-10 people for safety and customer service reasons. We are able to split up larger groups that would like to leave at the same time.
- Can I rent a tandem bike?
- Yes, special arrangements can be made for a tandem bike, but you must contact the seller at least 24 hours in advance to do so. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversaries gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours which can be from 5 to 30 people in size. For large groups, we split up for safety and service reasons. Custom tours are great for convention goers, corporations, and student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- How many miles are covered on the tour?
- The tour covers 10-12 miles and passes through many different neighborhoods in Boston.
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. We are not responsible for lost/damaged items. Sorry, but we cannot store anything overnight.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!