Cross the Charles River and enter the City of Cambridge. Renowned as one of America’s most bicycle-friendly cities, you will experience the atmosphere and appeal of Cambridge as only possible on two wheels. Touted as "Boston's Left Bank," Cambridge is a hotspot of arts and academia.
This extensive tour, specifically designed to show you the overall experience of Cambridge, includes:
- Harvard Square, the heart of Harvard University
- Central Square - A famed area for its arts and music scene
- The Charles River
- MIT - The Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- The Stata Center - Frank Gehry's only project in Massachusetts
Your tour includes an individually-fitted bike, helmet, water, and, of course, a friendly and knowledgeable guide who will lead you on your travels. The tour is 2.5-3 hours long and covers 10-12 miles. From the cycling paths on the Charles River to the booming industry of Kendall Square, this tour will show you the most exciting and vibrant parts of Cambridge!
Please Note: This tour is not specific to one particular time period. Your guide will cover several time periods throughout Cambridge's history.
What Is Not Included?
While water will be provided, you might consider bringing a sports drink or snack. In the summer months, sunscreen and sunglasses are highly recommended!
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Hollyscove||Mon, May 16 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
My husband and I were joined by a young couple from Oregon on our ride through Cambridge. Our guide provided some fun facts, provided plenty of rest stops and was most attentive to details. The ride took us through North Boston and along the Charles. Great way to see the city.
|Sgeisler24||Thu, May 12 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
I had axgreat time on the Cambridge tour. We covered a lot of ground and learned a lot as well. I recommend this tour.
|MaureenK2016||Fri, May 6 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Greg and Michelle were great tour guides. We truly appreciated the information they provided about the history of Cambridge. Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Boston!
|lasportsnut||Mon, Sep 28, 15 10:00 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I have been on over 5 bike tours in the world and regretably this was my least favorite. There was not enough breaks along the way for rest and history lessons. Everyone was very nice, but I just was not impressed with the tour of Cambridge.
|fredwest||Sun, Sep 6, 15 2:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We did the Cambridge tour-which was our 5th Bike Tour with Urban adventures. Truly a great trip! Lots of great sites, a fun route, with lots of good biking. Highly recommend this one-and honestly, all the others we have done with Urban were also much fun and educational!
|ANDESCUR||Sat, Aug 22, 15 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||Unspecified||Unspecified|
It was a great tour, an excellent way to know the city, have fun and excercise.
Relaxed view of Cambridge
|loosetree||Sat, Aug 1, 15 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Good bikes, manageable group, tour leaders who kept us all together and on course. Very enjoyable ride though the heart of Cambridge and then back along the Charles to the North End.
excellent tour. great tour guides.
|DanielHoh||Sat, Aug 1, 15 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
highly recommended tour. would recommend it to friends
Great exoerience, best way to know a city
|rafapalm||Sun, Jul 26, 15 2:00 PM||Male||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Im sure thre are two ways, of getting to know a city, one of them is walking, and the other one is definetly cycling, great experience and a really good guides.
Good ride, not much info
|blackjen4409||Mon, Jul 6, 15 2:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
We rode well over ten miles in three hours. It was great to see so much of Boston and Cambridge. But, there was not as much information offered as I've had on other bike tours in other cities. I thought our tour leader did a great job at keeping us informed about what was coming next in terms of traffic and directions. I was also confident in our safety.
- Are Urban AdvenTours for all levels of riders?
- You don't need to be Lance Armstrong to enjoy an Urban AdvenTours ride - we welcome intermediate cyclists and above. However, 75% of the tour will be on the road with traffic, so be prepared.
- Are the tours safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. Be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with headlights and reflective strips. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace. We usually have a ratio of one guide per six riders. UA staff can also provide advice for safe city riding.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- Urban AdvenTours will supply each rider with a bottle of water. Please bring a sports drink or snacks if you think you might like them. We will probably not make any stops for food or drink during the tour.
- How long do the tours last?
- Tours generally last 2.5 hours. However, depending on your group, traffic, and other factors, the tour may last up to 3.5 hours.
- Does the tour run after dark?
- During the early spring and late fall, the tour may run close to dusk, but it will not be dark out during any point in the tour. If you would like to take a tour at night, please consider our 6pm Bikes @ Night tour.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- Tours run in a light rain, however, in cases of severe or the potential for severe weather, Urban AdvenTours may cancel the tour up to one hour prior to departure. No refunds are issued for inclement weather, but rescheduling fees will be waived in these instances. Because weather is unpredictable, we highly recommend booking a tour or rental for the beginning of your stay in Boston to leave time to reschedule.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- Yes, there is one bathroom stop in the middle of the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Since the tour is at least three hours long and some children have a limited attention span and energy level, the tour may not be appropriate for kids under 10 years old. Private tours are always available and perhaps best for families with more than one child.
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- The best thing you can do for your children is to book a private tour! After you have done that, we will be able to provide your child with a "pint sized" bicycle or a towing attachment for parents with toddlers. Click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about taking a tour with your children.
- What kinds of child attachments are available for the bikes?
- Please contact us directly via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about attachments. We have child seats (attach to an adult's bike on a rack right behind the adult over the rear; for kids too young to ride a bike), Trail-a-bikes (attach to an adult’s bike on the seat post for children who are big enough to ride a bike, but may not be able to ride a without training wheels confidently or handle the pacing of a tour), and Burley trailers (can carry up to two children and up to 100 pounds, but are not available on public tours). Please contact us via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire. Thank you!
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Can I bring my own bike?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in top-notch condition! (We do reserve the right to turn you away or ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape). There is no discounted rate for bringing your own bike, but we will give you a FREE Urban AdvenTours t-shirt upon arrival!
- Can I rent a bike?
- Yes! If you'd like to rent a bike, please check out our Tour Boston by Bicycle Self-Guided Rental activity by clicking the "List of All Activities" link on the lefthand side of this page.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 2-10 people for safety and customer service reasons. We are able to split up larger groups that would like to leave at the same time.
- Can I rent a tandem bike?
- Yes, special arrangements can be made for a tandem bike, but you must contact the seller at least 24 hours in advance to do so. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversaries gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours which can be from 5 to 30 people in size. For large groups, we split up for safety and service reasons. Custom tours are great for convention goers, corporations, and student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- How many miles are covered on the tour?
- The tour covers 10-12 miles and passes through many different neighborhoods in Boston.
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. We are not responsible for lost/damaged items. Sorry, but we cannot store anything overnight.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 48 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 48 hours in advance.
- Activity runs in light rain, but may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity runs in light rain. However, in cases of severe or the potential for severe weather, Urban AdvenTours may cancel the tour up to one hour prior to departure. No refunds are issued for inclement weather, but rescheduling fees will be waived in these instances. Because weather is unpredictable, we highly recommend booking a tour or rental for the beginning of your stay in Boston to leave time to reschedule
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!