This is a longer tour, up to 4 hours and 15+ miles. Riders must be comfortable spending that much time on a bike and covering that distance. This tour is NOT recommended for children under the age of 13 unless they have done rides of this distance before. This extensive tour, specifically designed to show you the best foliage in Boston, will ride along and through:
- Boston Common
- Boston Public Gardens
- Commonwealth Avenue Mall
- Fenway Victory Gardens
- Arnold Arboretum
- Jamaica Pond
- Olmsted Park
- And more!
What Is Not Included?
While water is included, you may consider bringing a sports drink or snacks.
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|arfkell||Mon, Nov 9, 15 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Pell was an excellent tour guide and was very accommodating. He seemed to know everything about Boston and made the trip enjoyable.
Excellent way to see Boston
|RozWarren||Sun, Oct 25, 15 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
A great way to see Boston and to get out beyond the tourist trail. Our guide was very good. Knowledgeable and engaging but not patronising (as some tour guides can be). It's great to go for a longish cycle ride and not have to worry about navigation. I guess my only reservation is that the cost, at $75 a head (plus tax), does make this a pricey way to do it. But if you are short of time and local knowledge, I'd say it was worth it given how much we spent on getting here.
Very good tour
|gdreyer||Fri, Oct 23, 15 10:00 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
I like to tour cities by bike. This tour combined a tour of the emerald necklace park system with city sightseeing. I learned a lot about Boston on this tour. Half of the tour is on bike paths and half on city streets. Do not take this tour unless you are used to riding a bike for 16 miles (with a few hills) and used to riding in city streets. The tour guide was very good and told many interesting stories.
Great Ride with a Great Guide
|bmcafee||Fri, Oct 16, 15 10:00 AM||Male||60-69||Unspecified||Other|
My guide, Greg, was outstanding and made the ride very enjoyable. He was very knowledgeable and knew the best and safest paths all the way through it. I highly recommend this tour!
|Slummin||Fri, Oct 16, 15 10:00 AM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Our tour guide Glen was great! I would definitely do it again and have already recommended it to others. The bike
was comfortable even after a 4 hour bike ride! I wish I had more time in Boston to enjoy the other tours offered such as the Cambridge tour.
Emerald Necklace Tour Lacks Its Lustre
|suilven123||Tue, Oct 13, 15 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The Emerald Necklace and Fall Foliage Tour: Having read that Boston is such a "bicycle friendly" city I fully expected this tour to lead me and my daughter along beautiful tree-clad bicycle tracks, to heights offering great views of the city of Boston and along the wonderful sea-line. Unfortunately for us and the tour, Autumn (Fall) has come late to Boston, the trees are still mostly green so there wasn't much Fall Foliage to admire, That we can't blame on the tour company. However, most of the tour was through busy streets, very little on bicycle trails or through parkland. And in October 2015 Boston is mostly one big building site, with road works all over the place just building more higher and higher buildings to blot the skyline. Surely the company could have "tweeked" the route given the state of the roads. This was all very disappointing. The one shining light was the knowledge and enthusiasm of our Guide Greg. Urban Adventours - you really need to rethink your routes whilst Boston gets dug up.
Urban AdvenTours! responded:
Thank you for joining our tour and taking the time to provide your feedback to us and our guests!
I'm sorry you did not enjoy the Emerald Necklace tour as much as you were hoping for.
While the Emerald Necklace tour is designed to ride along and admire the beautiful foliage we experience here in Boston, we do still have to ride a bit through the city to get to the park system.
As you noticed, there is a lot of construction going on in Boston this time of year, however, in order to tweak the route, it would make it much more strenuous and dangerous to get to the Emerald Necklace.
We always welcome feedback and suggestions with our routes. If you'd like to discuss further, please send along an email to email@example.com and we'll be happy to discuss!
The UA Team
The coolest way to see Boston
|Titetogni||Sat, Oct 10, 15 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Unspecified||Unspecified|
The best and most memorable way to visit Boston, stay fit, enjoy the nature, and even get the most interesting info on history, art and culture of Boston.
A great way to see Boston's Parks
|foconnell||Sun, Oct 19, 14 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Coming from Perth Australia, I was keen to see the Fall colours of Boston. Cycling through the Parks was a great way to see this and the guides gave a lot of information. As there were 2 guides, it was also possible to stop and take photos. Good bikes, a bit of exercise, and stunning autumn colours - what better way to experience Boston! Highly recommend.
|royambarish||Sun, Oct 19, 14 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Although the bike ride was 15-16 miles long, it was very relaxing as it goes through lovely parks in the greater Boston area. Guides were very helpful especially navigating through Boston streets.
Emerald necklace tour was excellent
|Lucretia123||Sun, Oct 12, 14 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Other|
Great tour that allowed us to explore both the city and beautiful parkland. Lovely trees, not fully turned, but well on their way!.Very well organised.
Route was flat and at a pace that everyone could manage. No problems with traffic. Would definitely recommend it.
- Are Urban AdvenTours for all levels of riders?
- You don't need to be a professional to enjoy an Urban AdvenTours ride! However, this tour covers 15-20 miles and up to 4 hours and will keep a brisk pace over that distance. Riders should be able to cover this distance comfortably.
- Are the tours safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. PLEASE be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with reflectors and lights after dark. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace: We usually have a ratio of one guide per five to seven riders. UA staff will also provide advice for safe city riding. On the Emerald Necklace Tour, about 50% of the tour is done on bike paths, and the other 50% is done on city streets, alongside traffic.
- When is the peak foliage season?
- It varies year to year, but leaves are usually at their brightest between mid October and early November. Of course, the Emerald Necklace is a beautiful ride at any time of the year, whether the leaves are green, red & orange, or on the ground!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- No, but advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours may sell out or be cancelled if there are no reservations. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- How does this tour differ from your other tours?
- This tour is focused specifically on the path known as the Emerald Necklace, a route passing through seven of Boston's lushest parks, as created by America's first landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted.
- Is this a good tour for a beginner bike rider?
- Because this tour covers about 15-20 miles over up to 4 hours, it is designed for more experienced cyclists who are comfortable spending that much time on a bike.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- Urban AdvenTours will supply each rider with a bottle of water. Please bring a sports drink or snacks if you think you might like them. We will probably not make any stops for food or drink during the tour.
- How long do the tours last?
- Tours generally last about 3 hours. However, depending on your group, traffic, and other factors, the tour may last up to 3.5 hours.
- How much distance does the tour cover?
- The tour covers about 15 miles and passes through many different neighborhoods in Boston.
- Does the evening tour run after dark?
- The Emerald Necklace tour may run after sunset or in dusk if it is scheduled for our 2pm time slot. If this is the case, we will outfit our bikes with lights for safety.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- Tours run in a light rain, however, in cases of severe or the potential for severe weather, Urban AdvenTours may cancel the tour up to one hour prior to departure. No refunds are issued for inclement weather, but rescheduling fees will be waived in these instances. Because weather is unpredictable, we highly recommend booking a tour or rental for the beginning of your stay in Boston to leave time to reschedule.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- Yes, there is one bathroom stop in the middle of the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Children are always welcome, but since the tour is at least three hours long and covers about 15 miles and some children have a limited attention span and energy level, the tour may not be appropriate for kids under 10 years old. Private tours are always available for families with multiple children. Please note that Massachusetts State Law forbids children younger than 1 year from riding on a bicycle.
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- The best thing you can do for your children is to book a private tour! After you have done that, we will be able to provide your child with a "pint sized" bicycle or a towing attachment for parents with toddlers. Click "Contact AdvenTours" to inquire about taking a tour with your children.
- What kinds of child attachments available for the bikes?
- Since this is a longer and more strenuous tour, children must be able to ride their own bikes for the entire duration of the tour. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to inquire about scheduling a private tour at a slower pace.
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. We are not responsible for lost/damaged items. Sorry, but we cannot store anything overnight.
- Can I rent a bike?
- Yes! If you'd like to rent a bike, please check out our Tour Boston by Bicycle Self-Guided Rental activity by clicking "List of All Activities" on the lefthand side of this page.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 2-15 guests, however groups can reach 20-30 people.
- Can I bring my own bike on the tour?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in top-notch condition! (We do reserve the right to turn you away or ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape). There is no discounted rate for bringing your own bike, but we will give you a FREE Urban AdvenTours t-shirt upon arrival!
- Can I rent a tandem bike?
- Yes, special arrangements can be made for a tandem bike, but you must contact the seller at least 24 hours in advance to do so. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversaries gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours which can be from 5 to 30 people in size. For large groups, we split up for safety and service reasons. Custom tours are great for convention goers, corporations, and student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left of the page.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 48 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 48 hours in advance.
- Activity runs in light rain, but may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity runs in light rain. However, in cases of severe or the potential for severe weather, Urban AdvenTours may cancel the tour up to one hour prior to departure. No refunds are issued for inclement weather, but rescheduling fees will be waived in these instances. Because weather is unpredictable, we highly recommend booking a tour or rental for the beginning of your stay in Boston to leave time to reschedule
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!