If you want to see some of the most extravagant Christmas light displays you'll find anywhere in the country then you need to come to Dyker Heights!
Each year an estimated 100,000 people flock to the area to stroll the neighborhood and bask in the glow of the glorious excess as the residents of Dyker Heights compete to have the biggest, best, and brightest Christmas decorations in the entire United States!
- Neighborhoods other tours don’t know about, including the gorgeous Christmas displays in Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst.
- You’ll love our multimedia presentation which includes vintage Christmas variety specials starring Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and more!
- Visit Lucy Spata’s house. Lucy started the tradition of “Dyker Lights” back in the 80’s.
- See the Polizzotto home, featuring the largest Santa in the neighborhood at 15 feet tall!
- Enjoy millions of lights, some even synchronized to music like Robert DeLauro’s house!
- Check out Sam the Greek’s house, best described as “Christmas meets Las Vegas!”
- Experience good old-fashioned holiday cheer with family and friends.
- Enjoy vintage Christmas TV variety specials on the screens of our bus like Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Sonny & Cher and more!
- You’ll experience the true Brooklyn community feeling. Unlike other companies, our guides grew up in Brooklyn so they personally know the homeowners and the stories behind the decorations. Sometimes they homeowners will even come out and say hi!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Xmas lights enthusiastic
|CatarinaIze||Wed, Dec 30, 15 8:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Especially perfect if invited to see the interior of Sam, the Greek's house.
|IreneHall||Wed, Dec 30, 15 8:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
The tour guides was very knowledgable and the views of the lights was amazing.
|Franceszsoln||Wed, Dec 30, 15 7:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
brings back your childhood Christmas excitement...................
Best Tour on Our NYC Trip!
|Snapplejacks||Wed, Dec 30, 15 6:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My mother and I would definitely recommend this tour! This was mom's first time to New York City, and she loves Christmas lights, so this tour of these larger than life displays was a given. Our tour guide just happened to be the owner of this tour company, and we couldn't have asked for anyone better. Very knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating, and fun! Even the ride to the three different neighborhoods was enjoyable because we while riding we were told some history of the homes and residents, where we were and how we were traveling, tidbits about the places we were traveling through, and even watched a video of old Christmas variety shows. We had plenty of time in each of the three areas traveled to for viewing the lights, and our safety was always a concern of our tour guide and driver. The bus was clean, comfy, and even had a rest room. I can't wait to return to NYC and try another Slice of Brooklyn Bus tour!
So much fun.
|xmaslights||Wed, Dec 30, 15 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Tour guide was very funny and the bus driver excellent. Never would have seen as much as we did if we had gone on our own. Since the guide knows the people in each neighborhood it was more fun to hear the inside scoop. We are planning on going again next year and bringing more family and friends.
Funny things was, most of the people on the tour were from way out of town. Mostly European. Guess the word got out on how much fun this tour is.
it was really good!
|DCarneiro||Wed, Dec 30, 15 6:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
A little bit challenging for kids. It was better if we took an earlier tour. May kids slept all the tour.
|JFranFABRE||Wed, Dec 30, 15 6:00 PM||Male||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Des lumières partout et tant à voir!
Je recommande vivement cette balade!
Brooklyn Xmas lights and decorations
|Willsmere||Wed, Dec 30, 15 6:00 PM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
A fantastic tour, very professionally organised from start to. The house Xmas lights were just wow and amazing. An excellent tour and thoroughly recommended
Impressive Christmas decorations to drool over!
|mistersg||Tue, Dec 29, 15 8:00 PM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Our guide whose name I cannot remember now was a young lady with great expertise and made us all laugh with every single comment about how this tradition started back in the 80's. She seemed like a brilliant, fun actress who knew her script by heart! :) This tour was one of my greatest experiences in New York without a doubt.
Great Tour. A Must See!!
|18KatyG65sea||Tue, Dec 29, 15 8:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Individual|
Years ago I tried -- by subway and on foot -- to find the "Dyker Lights" on my own. I failed miserably. Thank goodness for A Slice of Brooklyn and their "Christmas Lights Tour". Just get on the bus in Manhattan and they will take you out there, sharing a great deal of wonderful information as you go. This is an experience you cannot get on your own, and it is not to be missed. Highly recommended. I will take this tour again and bring my niece and nephew next time!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day, time, and number of tickets you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa or MasterCard from this site or over the phone.
- Does the tour occur rain or shine?
- Yes, the tour runs regardless of weather. While we travel via bus since tour locations are in Brooklyn, we do get off the bus at several locations to stop and take pictures. So please dress appropriately for the weather.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I am bringing a very young child?
- If a child is age five or younger and will be sitting on your lap during the entire tour you do not need to purchase a ticket for them. If they will be requiring a seat, however, you will need to purchase a Child ticket.
- Who will my tour guide be?
- Tony tries to be on every tour, but from time to time, your guide will be another family member and licensed tour guide! All guides are just as knowledgeable, trained by Tony, and familiar with the neighborhoods you will be visiting.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour usually ends back at the original meeting location, which is just south of the southeast corner of Union Square, in Manhattan. (Exact meeting location details, including a map and subway directions, will be provided to you immediately upon purchasing your eticket.)
- Are we on the bus the entire tour?
- No. The tour takes place on a coach bus since the locations are scattered throughout Brooklyn. We do, however, get off on different streets to visit specific locations. (Whenever you leave the bus, you will be accompanied by the tour guide.) The tour includes a mix of on-the-bus viewings of locations and stops to get off and explore.
- Is there ever a circumstance when a location is omitted from the tour?
- While it is extremely rare, we do sometimes need to skip or modify certain locations that usually are part of the tour. Since the tour visits real-life locations all around Brooklyn, the tour's itinerary can sometimes be impacted by traffic conditions, construction, etc. A Slice of Brooklyn Christmas Lights Tour assumes no liability or responsibility for traffic conditions, access to sites, or other conditions beyond its control.
- Can I bring wine, beer or other alcoholic beverages on the bus?
- No. It is against New York State law to consume alcohol on a bus.
- Is this a good sightseeing tour of Brooklyn?
- Absolutely! The tour travels through Brooklyn and, although it takes place at night, is a great way to see the famous Christmas lights.
- What does the audio-visual presentation include?
- The sights you see along the tour will be complemented by a DVD presentation of clips from the PBS documentary, "Dyker Lights," as well as classic Christmas movies and audio from your favorite Christmas tunes.
- Am I allowed to eat or drink on the bus?
- No. Unfortunately no food or drinks are allowed on the bus. Please be sure to eat before you arrive!
- Is there any food included with this tour?
- No. "A Christmas Lights Tour" is not a food tour. No food will be provided. If pizza is what you're looking for, please check out our "A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour" instead. Please note that the cannoli and hot chocolate offered in previous seasons are no longer part of this tour.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. While photography and filming are not allowed on the bus portion of the tour, there are some great spots for taking photos and video at our stops along the way.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. A Slice of Brooklyn Christmas Lights Tour is only conducted in English at this time. Since so much of the tour is visual, however, visitors from other countries can enjoy the tour with minimal English.
- What type of bus is used?
- The tour is conducted on an enclosed coach bus. It is heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.
- Is there assigned seating on the bus?
- There is no assigned seating on the bus - it's first-come, first-served. If you have a number of people in your party who want to sit together, you should make sure to arrive 15-20 minutes early. Guests that arrive late or right at the starting time are much more likely to have to split up their group.
- Can I take a stroller or luggage on the tour?
- Yes, you can bring a stroller or luggage on the tour. The tour is conducted on a coach bus, so limited storage space is available. Please keep in mind that there will be several stops on the tour during which we will be leaving the bus. If you are not comfortable leaving your belongings on the bus during this time, you might want to reconsider bringing them.
- Is the bus wheelchair-accessible?
- No, unfortunately our buses do not have wheelchair access and you will need to take a few steps up in order to board the bus. If you will be able to do this with assistance from the other people in your party, you are welcome to join us. Please keep in mind that the platform to enter the bus is about 13.5 inches above the ground.
- Is there a bathroom on the bus?
- Yes, the buses contain restrooms.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for A Slice of Brooklyn Christmas Lights, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. Most groups, however, decide to attend the public tour for two reasons. First, it is usually significantly less expensive. Second, part of the fun of the tour is interacting with all the other people fascinated with the Christmas lights in Brooklyn who take the public tour. If you are interested in booking a private tour, contact A Slice of Brooklyn Tours by clicking on “Contact BKNYpizza” to the left of the page.
A Slice of Brooklyn Bus Tours
After years of entertaining friends to the city by conducting comprehensive tours of Brooklyn and showing off his favorite borough, Tony embarked on his professional tour-guiding career with A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour in 2005.
Now, over 2 years later, Tony is debuting his second professional tour to share a Christmas lights and decoration competition like you've never seen before. He's been informally taking friends and visitors to see the famous Dyker Heights lights show for over 20 years, but now he's offering this unique guided tour to the general public for the very first time.
Don't miss out on this great opportunity!
Tony is a licensed New York City tour guide.