Big Cat Rescue is the world’s largest accredited sanctuary dedicated entirely to abused and abandoned exotic cats. Celebrity supporters of the work being done by BCR include Bo Derek, Harrison Ford and Leonardo DiCaprio, and more.
Confiscated from a drug raid, got too old for the circus, neglected by an owner: these are just a few of the stories of this facility’s cats. But now they can enjoy a dignified life of leisure, play and socializing at this accredited big cat sanctuary, which is one of the largest in the world!
Let your tour guide relate their tales of hardship and triumph and take you to see some of the following:
- Meet a pair of frolicking leopards that leap from platform to platform in their fenced-in enclosure.
- See a chirping serval rescued from a basement and enjoying the sunlight it was denied during its ordeal.
- Witness the biggest and most impressive creatures in the refuge; the lions and tigers. Though they cannot be returned to the wild, discover how the sanctuary gives them the most natural existence possible!
We are closed on Thursdays. We offer guided tours on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday at 3 PM for adults and children 10 and over. On Saturday & Sunday we offer tours at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. for adults and children 10 and over.These are walking tours and take about an hour and a half. If you have children under the age of 10, they can ONLY visit by attending the noon Tour on Saturdays or Sundays.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|MjohnsonDPM||Sat, Nov 28 3:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Our guides were knowledgable and friendly. One member of our group rode in the golf cart for the tour which was very easy and helpful. Wonderful tour!
Had a great time and learned a lot !
|Jbell85||Sat, Nov 28 10:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Great learning experience!
|meccat||Sat, Nov 28 10:00 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
Don't change a thing! Great time was enjoyed by all.
Amazing Team & Group of Big Cats!
|Tiffsarlac||Fri, Nov 27 3:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
Truly awesome! :) I got amazing pictures and learned so much information about the team and cats ! They really do wonders!
|Roxyjune||Fri, Nov 27 3:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
It was a beautiful day.... Nice to view the cats in an "open" atmosphere and can feel good about contributing to the work that is being done there.
Wonderful Facility-Dissappointing Tour
|mikesherman||Fri, Nov 27 3:00 PM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Our group of nine (9) arrived promptly and were assigned to the Purple Group. Our tour guide-an intern with long red hair in a pony tail and a trace of a Bristish accent first had trouble understanding the hearing devices-changing cahnnels three times. Then she had trouble with her tablet computer. We repeatedly told her that we couldn't hear her commentary and asked her to speak up or move to the center of the group instead of standing in front where only a few could hear. We asked her to use the hearing devices for her commentary, but she said she couldn't because it would bother the animals........so we missed most of what she said. Her mentor at the back of the group said she had no diea why the intern wouldn't talk louder but did nothing to fix it.
Consequently we missed half the tour, and we weren't the only ones. Numerous people in our group were complaining but our intern did nothing about it!
Other guides were talking louder and it didn't seem to bother the animals. If anything, you wouldn't have to talk as loud if you were using an amplification device which only broadcast intothe hearing buds.
So while we loved your facility, we were greatly frustrated by the tour. Our group-from Missouri, Kansas, Arizona and Florida had been promised something really special......................
I am certainly not asking for a refund because of this experience or re-ticketing, because they won't be back until four yrears from Thanksgiving. What I am aking for is a credit or voucher for three(3) tickets, so that the three of us from Florida can visit your facility again and get it's full value.
Please reply to Michael Sherman, 12781 SE 91st Terrace Road, Summerfield FL 34491, e-mail email@example.com or call me at 352.347.8616.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
|heatherhitz||Wed, Nov 25 3:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
it's now five days later, and I'm still telling everyone who will listen about our experience. the grounds are wonderfully maintained, the staff is friendly (minus one of the volunteers who "chaperoned" our group and wouldn't stop making baby noises at every. single. cat. could've done without that), and you can just feel the good vibes in the air. it's apparent that these beautiful animals are well taken care of. quite a few were lazing about in the sun, but even more were up and playing, or were interested in us. the tigers especially were social and friendly; one jumped down from his napping perch just to come over and say hi. my boyfriend and I were both just mesmerized, and will be back again for a private tour. I very highly recommend this experience for all animal lovers! if you can't make it in person and are able to donate, please understand it is going to a viable and most worthy cause! absolutely in love :}
Highly recommend !
|kaylabarbera||Wed, Nov 25 3:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Wonderful group of knowledgable volunteers with a passion for saving big cats through educating the public .
A real must see!
adventure at big cats rescue
|woodarth||Tue, Nov 24 3:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I thought that the rescue is a great place.The natural habitat was fantastic. Very impressed with the care and attention the animals are getting. Being a veterinarian that works in an animal shelter, I truly understand the challenges that are faced in rehabilitating abused and rescued animals. Thanks to the staff and personnel. Would like to volunteer in the future.
|mkliston123||Mon, Nov 23 3:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My kids and I visited the rescue the week of thanksgiving and loved every second !!! The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and of course the cats are amazing . We will be returning every time we get a chance.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there an age limit?
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the topics covered on this tour and so that adults can enjoy the tour. Kids 10 years of age or older are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. We do not make exceptions, no matter how well behaved you think your child is; only ages 10 and over on this tour. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket.
- Can I bring food or toys for the cats?
- No, our diet is specific to their needs and we do not allow foods to be given to the cats that have not been approved by our vet and maintained under the most stringent quality controls. We do not give our cats toys that could cause harm if ingested so we do not permit toys from outside our own preselected vendors.
- Can I take pictures during my tour?
- YES! You are welcome to take photos and / or videos during your tour.
- Do I have to stay with the group, or can I wander?
- The only way to see the cats is on a guided tour, so you will not be able to wander away from the group.
- Are there restrooms?
- Yes, but we strongly suggest that you go before you get here because we have limited facilities and are on septic systems which cannot handle a lot of volume if there has been recent rain. There is a McDonald's right at the corner of Easy Street.
- What if it rains?
- The DayTour will still go out in a light rain as long as there is no lightning. If it is thundering or pouring rain, we may try to wait it out, or will offer a refund, or rescheduling.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Is there a charge for parking?
- Parking is always free and there is plenty of it except for our busiest times in Nov, Dec and March. During these busy times it is tight, but we will help you park at no additional fee.
- Are you ADA compliant?
- If you are unable to walk for two hours, we have golf carts available for $10 extra, per person riding. Our paths are dirt, so wheel chairs are hard to push, but scooters do well. There are no seats along the tour paths.
- How do the golf carts work? Are they offered on every tour?
- On some tours (but not all), we offer seats on a golf cart for guests who have difficulty with mobility. Each cart can hold 3 guests plus the driver. The cart will follow the tour guide closely so that guests can hear the narration. Depending on different circumstances, these seats can sometimes be booked in advance, but otherwise they are first come-first serve.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Please see the list of all activities to get more information about our private tours.
- What does the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement state?
- The Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement states that all buyers understand and agree to 1.) the potential dangers associated with attending Big Cat Rescue and the rules in place to prevent such dangers from occurring and 2.) the Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which states that Big Cat Rescue cannot be held responsible for any harm, injury or damage taking place at Big Cat Rescue. Please visit https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond to view the agreement in its entirety.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be 10 years of age or older.
- No children under 10 years old are permitted on this tour. Children 10-17 years old are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the nature of this tour.
- There is no smoking allowed at Big Cat Rescue.
- We do not allow smoking at Big Cat Rescue, except in the parking lot.
- All participants must agree to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- By purchasing tickets you are agreeing to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which appears in its entirety at https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond. The waiver web address also appears on your e-ticket if you would like to review the waiver later.
- If you purchased a donation Extra, please take note of the following:
- Big Cat Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, FEID 59-3330495. Note that we do not utilize professional solicitors, so 100% of your donation goes to Big Cat Rescue and supporting the cats and stopping the abuse. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR BIG CAT RESCUE, A FL-BASED NONPROFIT CORPORATION (REGISTRATION NO. CH 11409), MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING www.800helpfla.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Big Cat Rescue
Big Cat Rescue has a dozen species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including: Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, a Geoffroy Cat and exotic cat hybrids!
The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has the one of the highest scores of any animal based charity