Big Cat Rescue is the world’s largest accredited sanctuary dedicated entirely to abused and abandoned exotic cats. Celebrity supporters of the work being done by BCR include Bo Derek, Harrison Ford and Leonardo DiCaprio, and more.
Confiscated from a drug raid, got too old for the circus, neglected by an owner: these are just a few of the stories of this facility’s cats. But now they can enjoy a dignified life of leisure, play and socializing at this accredited big cat sanctuary, which is one of the largest in the world!
Let your tour guide relate their tales of hardship and triumph and take you to see some of the following:
- Meet a pair of frolicking leopards that leap from platform to platform in their fenced-in enclosure.
- See a chirping serval rescued from a basement and enjoying the sunlight it was denied during its ordeal.
- Witness the biggest and most impressive creatures in the refuge; the lions and tigers. Though they cannot be returned to the wild, discover how the sanctuary gives them the most natural existence possible!
We are closed on Thursdays. We offer guided tours on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday at 3 PM for adults and children 10 and over. On Saturday & Sunday we offer tours at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. for adults and children 10 and over.These are walking tours and take about an hour and a half. If you have children under the age of 10, they can ONLY visit by attending the noon Tour on Saturdays or Sundays.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|deddy69||Fri, Aug 28 3:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The tour was great. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and we learned many interesting things about the dangers to big cats and the Rescues effort to help the cats in need. I would definitely recommend this tour to family and friends.
|Bonn0302||Mon, Aug 24 3:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Will return for feeding tour. Information on prices, details of tours and times would be helpful on website instead of having to call of every little detail. Thankd
The weather doesn't matter
|sweetmarie||Mon, Aug 24 3:00 PM||Female||70+||Local||Family Without Children|
Your experience here will be terrific. Both educational and fun no matter the weather.
Enjoyable, educational and informative
|JennyMistry||Mon, Aug 24 3:00 PM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Other|
We enjoyed seeing the variety of cats and hearing their life stories, some species I had never heard of before. Only negative was that it was pretty hot, though almost all the tour was in shade!
Big Cat Rescue and Freedom
|lindatrask||Sun, Aug 23 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Enjoyed the tour very much. Gained a lot of knowledge and understanding for the big cats and their lifestyle which brought them to the Big Cat Rescue. Our tour guide was wonderful and very knowledgeable about all the cats in the rescue. Certainly opened my eyes to the abuse that these animals have been subjected to, i.e. circus acts, side shows, etc. Thankful that there is a place like yours to bring them the freedom that they deserve.
Definitely a great experience.
|thelaw06||Sun, Aug 23 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
Definitely a great experience.
They cut the tour 35 mins early for no reason
|jtmagdziak||Sat, Aug 22 3:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Family With Children|
They cut the tour 35 mins early for no reason and when i asked if maybe we could walk around more they said no i asked if we could come back to utilize the 35 mins we missed and they had no reason and no explanation. My daughter wanted t finish the tour. it was also 100 out and they were out of water at all water stations
Some of the big cats were not available.
|Jorgppp||Sat, Aug 22 3:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
Should tell people that many cats are not part of the tour before the tour not during...mentioned almost at the end. Add water misting stations and fans on tour. Not expensive to do so.
|Orlaned||Sat, Aug 22 10:00 AM||Female||30-39||Unspecified||Family With Children|
This was a great family adventure. Our tour guide was very friendly and knowledgable about the animals!
Great experience to view these animals.
|ChrisCats||Sat, Aug 22 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Big Cat Rescue is not a circus nor will you be able to "pet" the big cats. It is a true rescue facility where you can see these cats in a natural enviorement enjoying life. The tour guide has great information on each and every cat. You leave feeling like you've meet AJ the tiger or Genie the sand cat (my favorite) Wear comfortable shoes, bug spray (it's Florida) and possibly a hat. In the summer the tour will be hot. I live close by and will be going again!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there an age limit?
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the topics covered on this tour and so that adults can enjoy the tour. Kids 10 years of age or older are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. We do not make exceptions, no matter how well behaved you think your child is; only ages 10 and over on this tour. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket.
- Can I bring food or toys for the cats?
- No, our diet is specific to their needs and we do not allow foods to be given to the cats that have not been approved by our vet and maintained under the most stringent quality controls. We do not give our cats toys that could cause harm if ingested so we do not permit toys from outside our own preselected vendors.
- Can I take pictures during my tour?
- YES! You are welcome to take photos and / or videos during your tour.
- Do I have to stay with the group, or can I wander?
- The only way to see the cats is on a guided tour, so you will not be able to wander away from the group.
- Are there restrooms?
- Yes, but we strongly suggest that you go before you get here because we have limited facilities and are on septic systems which cannot handle a lot of volume if there has been recent rain. There is a McDonald's right at the corner of Easy Street.
- What if it rains?
- The DayTour will still go out in a light rain as long as there is no lightning. If it is thundering or pouring rain, we may try to wait it out, or will offer a refund, or rescheduling.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Is there a charge for parking?
- Parking is always free and there is plenty of it except for our busiest times in Nov, Dec and March. During these busy times it is tight, but we will help you park at no additional fee.
- Are you ADA compliant?
- If you are unable to walk for two hours, we have golf carts available for $10 extra, per person riding. Our paths are dirt, so wheel chairs are hard to push, but scooters do well. There are no seats along the tour paths.
- How do the golf carts work? Are they offered on every tour?
- On some tours (but not all), we offer seats on a golf cart for guests who have difficulty with mobility. Each cart can hold 3 guests plus the driver. The cart will follow the tour guide closely so that guests can hear the narration. Depending on different circumstances, these seats can sometimes be booked in advance, but otherwise they are first come-first serve.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Please see the list of all activities to get more information about our private tours.
- What does the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement state?
- The Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement states that all buyers understand and agree to 1.) the potential dangers associated with attending Big Cat Rescue and the rules in place to prevent such dangers from occurring and 2.) the Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which states that Big Cat Rescue cannot be held responsible for any harm, injury or damage taking place at Big Cat Rescue. Please visit https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond to view the agreement in its entirety.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be 10 years of age or older.
- No children under 10 years old are permitted on this tour. Children 10-17 years old are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the nature of this tour.
- There is no smoking allowed at Big Cat Rescue.
- We do not allow smoking at Big Cat Rescue, except in the parking lot.
- All participants must agree to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- By purchasing tickets you are agreeing to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which appears in its entirety at https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond. The waiver web address also appears on your e-ticket if you would like to review the waiver later.
- If you purchased a donation Extra, please take note of the following:
- Big Cat Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, FEID 59-3330495. Note that we do not utilize professional solicitors, so 100% of your donation goes to Big Cat Rescue and supporting the cats and stopping the abuse. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR BIG CAT RESCUE, A FL-BASED NONPROFIT CORPORATION (REGISTRATION NO. CH 11409), MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING www.800helpfla.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Big Cat Rescue
Big Cat Rescue has a dozen species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including: Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, a Geoffroy Cat and exotic cat hybrids!
The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has the one of the highest scores of any animal based charity