Watch big cat keepers feed tigers, leopards, cougars and more while observing from just a few feet away. As you walk around the sanctuary with our feeders your guide will tell you about the cats on the feeding route, their diets, and how they hunt in the wild.
The Feeding Tour includes:
- Watching the wild cats being fed and learning about their diets.
- The diet consists of chunks of beef, chicken and a ground diet.
This tour is a great lead in to a regular Day Tour. On the Day Tour you will see a greater selection of cats representing all of the species residing at the sanctuary.
The tour is available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 9:00AM. Space for this Tour is extremely limited, so advanced booking is required. Participants in the Feeding Tour must be 10 years of age or older.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Cdc0723||Fri, Apr 22 9:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
How exciting and informative! Gave me a true appreciation of these wonderful creatures and an understanding of our duty to protect them.
Very enjoyable and interesting
|ThZeltner||Fri, Apr 22 9:00 AM||Unspecified||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I did like the toor, we have been told some interesting facts on how the cats are being kept. For me as a photographer, I would have like to have more time with individual cats to take pictures
|cat_5150||Sun, Apr 17 9:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Great way to see A LOT of the beautiful cats close up!
Enjoyed it.Informative and educational
|2debbie||Sat, Apr 16 9:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Individual|
We learned many things about how the cats were raised prior to their rescue.
Makes me feel very angry about how it is Not illegal to own wild cats.
Rescue Big Cats - a Permanent Home
|LesterDean||Sat, Apr 16 9:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
They show how big cats can be cared for, educational tour with staff, watching the cats eat "breakfast" - a super way to spend the morning.
Excellent, informative, exciting
|NickieLea||Fri, Apr 15 9:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Incredible cats, Des was a fantastic guide
|janepine||Sat, Apr 9 9:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My teenage son and I really enjoyed the feeding tour! Our guides were great! (One to talk, one to feed the cats). We learned a lot about the different cats, their personalities, and eating preferences. Big Cat Rescue really does and amazing job taking care of the animals!
|RachelAhern||Fri, Apr 8 9:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
We loved seeing the volunteer go to each of the cages to feed while another volunteer described what kind of cat was being fed, what it was being fed, and why the food was prepared the way it was. The grounds were beautifully natural. We were rewarded for our early date with cool weather (a 9am start at first seemed early as we had to leave Clearwater/Dunedin at 7:30am). What surprised me the most about this "tour" was how laid back the staff was and how relaxing it was, even though we were given a lot of valuable and interesting information. The gift shop was wonderful as well and we can't wait to come back! This review is under my husband's name, but I was the only one of our party of 4 who had visited before; we look forward to trying a night tour next.
Great for cat lovers and the animals !
|Fredisis||Sat, Apr 2 9:00 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Good to see these magnificent animals and to see them being taken care of by truly caring experienced people.
|JenSapen||Sat, Apr 2 9:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
I really enjoyed the feeding tour. Thank you to everyone at the sanctuary for taking such good care of the animals.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there an age limit?
- Children under 10 years of age are not permitted due to the dangerous nature of this tour. Kids 10 years of age or older are welcome to attend. We do not make exceptions, no matter how well behaved you think your child is; only ages 10 and over on this tour. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket.
- Can I bring food or toys for the cats?
- No, the cats' diet is specific to their needs, and we do not allow foods to be given to the cats that have not been approved by our vet and maintained under the most stringent quality controls. We also do not give our cats toys that could cause harm if ingested, so we do not permit toys other than those from our own preselected vendors.
- Do you sell food or drinks at the sanctuary? Is there a place to have lunch before the tour?
- Yes, we offer drinks and snacks on site, but you are welcome to bring your own, for your consumption only. You will not be allowed to provide the cats food, treats or toys.
- Can I take pictures during my tour?
- YES! You are welcome to take photos and/or videos during your tour.
- Do I have to stay with the group, or can I wander?
- The only way to see the cats is on a guided tour, so you will not be able to wander away from the group.
- Are there restrooms?
- Yes, but we strongly suggest that you go before you get here because we have limited facilities and are on septic systems which cannot handle a lot of volume if there has been recent rain. There is a McDonald's right at the corner of Easy Street.
- What if it rains?
- The Feeding Tour will still go out in light rain as long as there is no lightning. If there is thunder or pouring rain, we may try to wait it out. If not, we will offer to refund or reschedule tickets.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Is there a charge for parking?
- Parking is always free and there is generally plenty of it. During our busiest times in November, December and March it can be limited, but we will help you park at no additional fee.
- Are you ADA compliant? (Handicap accessible?)
- If you are unable to walk for two hours, we have golf carts available for an additional $10 per person riding. Our paths are not paved, so wheel chairs are hard to push, but scooters do well. There are no seats along the tour paths.
- How do the golf carts work? Are they offered on every tour?
- On some tours (but not all), we offer seats on a golf cart for guests who have difficulty with mobility. Each cart can hold 3 guests plus the driver. The cart will follow the tour guide closely so that guests can hear the narration. Depending on different circumstances, these seats can sometimes be booked in advance, but otherwise they are first come-first serve.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes we do! The Trading Post Gift Shop is right here at our location.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Please see the list of all activities to get more information about our private tours.
- What does the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement state?
- The Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement states that all buyers understand and agree to 1.) the potential dangers associated with attending Big Cat Rescue and the rules in place to prevent such dangers from occurring and 2.) the Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which states that Big Cat Rescue cannot be held responsible for any harm, injury or damage taking place at Big Cat Rescue. Please visit https://bigcatrescue.org/release to view the agreement in its entirety.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be 10 years of age or older.
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the dangerous nature of this tour. Children 10-17 years old are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Pets are not allowed at Big Cat Rescue.
- If you are traveling with pets, including dogs, you cannot bring them onto the property, which includes the parking lot.
- There is no smoking allowed at Big Cat Rescue.
- We do not allow smoking at Big Cat Rescue, except in the parking lot.
- All participants must agree to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- By purchasing tickets you are agreeing to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which appears in its entirety at https://bigcatrescue.org/release. The waiver web address also appears on your e-ticket if you would like to review the waiver later.
- If you purchased a donation Extra, please take note of the following:
- Big Cat Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, FEID 59-3330495. Note that we do not utilize professional solicitors, so 100% of your donation goes to Big Cat Rescue and supporting the cats and stopping the abuse. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR BIG CAT RESCUE, A FL-BASED NONPROFIT CORPORATION (REGISTRATION NO. CH 11409), MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING www.800helpfla.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Big Cat Rescue
Big Cat Rescue has a dozen species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including: Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, a Geoffroy Cat and exotic cat hybrids!
The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has the one of the highest scores of any animal based charity