No where else can you get this close, interact with such a wide variety of wild cats, and support a great cause at the same time.
The Keeper Tour includes:
- Enrichment: You'll make toys and treats for the cats to stimulate an animals’ activity level and watch as keeper hands out what you’ve made. Observe the animals’ reactions as they investigate their enrichment that you helped create for them.
- Operant conditioning: You'll witness a training session between the cats & keepers. During this activity you will accompany our keepers who will teach critical behaviors to one of our feline residents, such as go into lock out, stand up so we can observe the paws and underside, and much more!
- History: You'll learn the history behind our furry friends and how they came to call Big Cat Rescue home. In addition, you'll also hear the story of why Big Cat Rescue was founded, as you take a guided mini tour of the 55 acre sanctuary.
Each Behind the Big Cat Scenes Adventure is unique and different, so you never know fully what to expect, besides a roaring good time!
Keeper Tours are available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays ONLY at 10 AM. Participants in the Big Cat Keeper Tours must be 10 years of age or older.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Compassionate work by passionate people
|reanthomas||Sat, May 21 10:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our keepers were knowledgable, enthusiastic & you could tell they love the animals. We saw 100s of rescued exotic cats up close but without intruding on them.
|CarlyK||Sat, May 21 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was so much more than I expected. I was so impressed with the cleanliness and the love for the cats from the staff. My only suggestion would be to LET US IN THAT KITTEN CABANA...it's torture!! Hahaha!
Had a great time!
|JaymiPrater||Fri, May 20 10:00 AM||Female||Unspecified||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
I really enjoyed my time there. The staff was very friendly & knowledgeable. The cats are awesome & I could tell they were well taken care of by the staff that clearly loved them. I have been wanting to visit since I started following them on facebook & finally got the opportunity to do so & it was everything I hoped it would be.
|morningmud||Sun, May 15 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We really got a great look at the cats as they were excited to see us coming since they knew they were getting either something fun or a something yummy. Some got the enrichment that we made at the start of the tour, which was so fun to see them play with. Others got frozen treats (I think BCR has a YouTube video of how they make these) that the cats loved! We got to see how they get the cats to position themselves so the keepers can examine them all while the cat just gets a meat treat and isn't handled at all. You really do get to see the cats being very active on this tour as they're eacting their treat or playing with their enrichment. I will definitely do it again!
BCR does such great work for these cats!
|LadyEmerald||Fri, May 13 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Other|
Our guide was very good at answering questions, and departing to us her knowledge of the animals, etc. The only thing that was a bit disconcerting was when we were walking and she was talking the wagon carrying the stuff drowned her out sometimes, where you could not hear her. We were impressed by the cleanliness of the cages, and the entire facility.
Wife birthday gift
|kunan1985||Sun, May 8 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
The tour was amazing. Will be doing this again in the future.
Life Changing Experience!
|daraely3||Sun, May 8 10:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
The Big Cat Rescue Keeper Tour is definitely worth the additional cost over the standard tour. It was a smaller group, guided by an experienced keeper who had so much knowledge about the individual cats as well as the breed overall. We were able to get lots of photos and ask questions. These majestic animals have all been rescued from exploitation, inhumane conditions and certain death. Here they are able to live out their lives as closet as possible to how they would in the wild, but without the stress of hunting for survival. These cats are clearly well cared for and thriving. This tour is a fantastic experience for anyone, especially animal lovers.
|Dbenson1||Sat, Apr 30 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
The Keeper Tour was worth the cost! The guides were exceptional and the animals a real treat to see.
The Keeper Tour :)
|DonnaLW||Sun, Apr 24 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We all loved this tour... Our tour guide was fantastic... Very knowledgeable and friendly... Not only did we see fantastic animals we learned some interesting info too... This tour was well worth the $125 we spent and would highly recommend... You won't be disappointed
|Janet1022||Sun, Apr 24 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Nice to see the cats up close and so well taken care of.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there an age limit?
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the dangerous nature of this tour. Kids 10 years of age or older are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. We do not make exceptions, no matter how well behaved you think your child is; only ages 10 and over on this tour. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket.
- Can I bring food or toys for the cats?
- No, our diet is specific to their needs and we do not allow foods to be given to the cats that have not been approved by our vet and maintained under the most stringent quality controls. We do not give our cats toys that could cause harm if ingested so we do not permit toys from outside our own preselected vendors.
- Do you sell food or drinks at the sanctuary? Is there a place to have lunch before the tour?
- Yes, we offer drinks and snacks on site, but you are welcome to bring your own, for your consumption only. You will not be allowed to provide the cats food, treats or toys.
- Can I take pictures during my tour?
- YES! You are welcome to take photos and / or videos during your tour.
- Do I have to stay with the group, or can I wander?
- The only way to see the cats is on a guided tour, so you will not be able to wander away from the group.
- Are there restrooms?
- Yes, but we strongly suggest that you go before you get here because we have limited facilities and are on septic systems which cannot handle a lot of volume if there has been recent rain. There is a McDonald's right at the corner of Easy Street, and you could use the restrooms there before the tour.
- What if it rains?
- The Keeper Tour will still go out in a light rain as long as there is no lightning. If it is thundering or pouring rain, we may try to wait it out, or will offer a refund, or rescheduling.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Is there a charge for parking?
- Parking is always free and there is plenty of it except for our busiest times in Nov, Dec and March. During these busy times it is tight, but we will help you park at no additional fee.
- Are you ADA compliant?
- If you are unable to walk for two hours, we have golf carts available for $10 extra, per person riding. Our paths are dirt, so wheel chairs are hard to push, but scooters do well. There are no seats along the tour paths.
- How do the golf carts work? Are they offered on every tour?
- On some tours (but not all), we offer seats on a golf cart for guests who have difficulty with mobility. Each cart can hold 3 guests plus the driver. The cart will follow the tour guide closely so that guests can hear the narration. Depending on different circumstances, these seats can sometimes be booked in advance, but otherwise they are first come-first serve.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes we do! The Trading Post Gift Shop is right here at our location.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Please see the list of all activities to get more information about our private tours.
- What does the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement state?
- The Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement states that all buyers understand and agree to 1.) the potential dangers associated with attending Big Cat Rescue and the rules in place to prevent such dangers from occurring and 2.) the Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which states that Big Cat Rescue cannot be held responsible for any harm, injury or damage taking place at Big Cat Rescue. Please visit https://bigcatrescue.org/release to view the agreement in its entirety.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be 10 years of age or older.
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the dangerous nature of this tour. Children 10-17 years old are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Pets are not allowed at Big Cat Rescue.
- If you are traveling with pets, including dogs, you cannot bring them onto the property, which includes the parking lot.
- No Smoking
- No Smoking is allowed at Big Cat Rescue, except in the parking lot.
- All participants must agree to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- By purchasing tickets you are agreeing to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which appears in its entirety at https://bigcatrescue.org/release. The waiver web address also appears on your e-ticket if you would like to review the waiver later.
- If you purchased a donation Extra, please take note of the following:
- Big Cat Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, FEID 59-3330495. Note that we do not utilize professional solicitors, so 100% of your donation goes to Big Cat Rescue and supporting the cats and stopping the abuse. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR BIG CAT RESCUE, A FL-BASED NONPROFIT CORPORATION (REGISTRATION NO. CH 11409), MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING www.800helpfla.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Big Cat Rescue
Big Cat Rescue has a dozen species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including: Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, a Geoffroy Cat and exotic cat hybrids!
The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has the one of the highest scores of any animal based charity