Our Downtown tour starts in the charming neighborhood of Little Italy, known for its boutiques and family-owned Italian restaurants. Your stylist guide will lead your fun pack of fashionistas to the Gaslamp's very own 5th Avenue, stopping at over 6 locally owned boutiques, all offering exclusive discounts to Garb guests from 20-25% off. Nosh on chocolates, fruit, cheeses and more as local designers discuss their inspirations and how they source garments to make their shops so distinct. Toast a glass of champagne or wine as you don the new garments your stylist helped you find.
Some of the unique stops on our Downtown tour may include:
- Be Beauty Boutique - San Diego's most charming boutique with new arrivals of dresses, jewelry and accessories weekly.
- Kapreeza - Meaning “spoiled little girl” in Russian, this is a gem find for modern European Lingerie & Swimwear.
- Vocabulary - The most articulate blue boutique in town, featuring accessories and finds for gals & guys.
- Boutique De Marcus - Dazzling dresses and edgy everyday wear for men & women by Baghdad born Marcus Hanish.
- Goga by Gordana - Designs by an alum of Project Runway Season 6 and Project Runway All Stars.
- Cariloha - The city's only ALL Bamboo store with attire cooler and softer than cotton, and green!
- Hat Works- hat of all sizes and shapes since 1922.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out! To make sure you get the time and date you want, we suggest you book far in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted. Even if you hand it to us cold.
- What can expect from a fashion and food tour?
- Our shopping tours offer great fun on every tour and in addition to 3 hours with a professional stylist and stylist assistant who will help you select garments and outfits, you'll receive discounts at EVERY store you visit, offered exclusively to tour guests. Each store also offers a snack-wine, cheese, fruit, chocolates, and more! You can also expect to receive insights from boutique owners and designers as well as fashion tips and tricks from your stylist guide. The tour also ends with a stop at a local restaurant for a treat and all guests receive a custom logo tote bag. But most of all expect a fun afternoon with a bunch of like-minded ladies!
- What if it rains?
- We operate rain or shine. However, San Diego is sunny 340 or more days a year. It will probably be perfectly sunny for your tour.
- Who should go on one of these tours?
- Have you looked at your closet and thought, "My goodness, what a collection?" Or, have you stared at it, thinking, "Well, maybe it's time to make the 80s retired." If either thought strikes you, Garb San Diego is probably a great choice for you. Fashion lovers, shopping excursionists, ladies perhaps needing a little help in the wardrobe department: all of these types are great guests for Garb San Diego. As our tours are led by professional stylists, you'll get attention from a professional who can assist in outfit selection. In addition, you'll be stopping at 6 to 8 stores during your 3 hour walk, which will show you an array of different styles, designs and fashion finds.
- Can I bring my fashionista 3-year old or toddler?
- No, we'd certainly recommend that you don't. We don't offer kids tickets for this exact reason. You need a break anyway. Since we know teenagers like to shop, we're sure they'd like to join you and we would generally recommend this tour for teenagers ages 16 and up.
- How about bringing my husband or boyfriend who is desperately trying to please me?
- Well, this is a tough one. Does your man want to go shopping not only with you, but 11 other women? For three hours? Poor sap. Plunk him at a bar and leave him be. There are also very few if no men's stores on our tours. Keep in mind if your man insists on joining you, he will also be required to purchase a ticket.
- How much walking will we do on one of these tours?
- About 25% of tour is spent walking, while the remaining time is spent shopping. However, we do cover 1 to 2 miles on each tour. Best leave your Manolo Blahniks at home.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends at Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp District, which is a little over a mile away from the meeting point.
- What type of stores do we visit? What types of clothes do they offer?
- Each Garb San Diego tour covers an assortment of stores, styles and clothing types such as: vintage, high-end, lingerie, casual wear and more. We make sure there is a variety to your shopping experience so that while not EVERY store will be your next favorite, you'll surely get exposed to the variety of styles that San Diego offers. Please check out the Description of the tour for more information about some of the places we visit.
- What sizes will be available?
- All sizes from a US size 0 - size 16 will be available on this trek. Keep in mind, however, that not ALL stores carry every size.
- Will we be able to purchase clothes?
- Of course! Shoppers will have ample opportunity to purchase clothing. This is a shopping tour, after all!
- How big are the discounts given at each store?
- This depends. Each participating store determines its own discounts. Usually, the discounts range from 20 - 25% off.
- What are the typical price ranges of items on the tour?
- From vintage to high-end, this answer depends. While you can find items for around $25, there are certainly items priced much higher. There's never pressure to buy during a tour, but discounts are usually offered to guests only for the duration of the tour.
- What should I wear?
- You'll be walking, girl! Make sure to wear walk-ready shoes. For the purposes of trying on clothes, consider an outfit which can be taken off and on quickly and easily, such as a wrap dress.
- How big will the group be?
- Our tours generally have a maximum of 12 guests. We try to keep the groups small so that everyone receives some personalized style attention.
- Will there be places to stop and rest during the tour?
- Of course. Many stores having seating areas, so if you need to take a breather, it's easy to do.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- This is California, where everywhere is a place you can wheel along! (Or else you’d be sued.) So yes, bring your wheels if you normally do and ride along with us. All of the surfaces we walk on are flat.
- Are bathrooms available?
- Yes, bathrooms are accessible at most stops on the tour.
- Is there public parking nearby?
- Yes, there are parking lots and garages available. We recommend that you do NOT park in metered spots because they have 2 hour limits. (And you don't want to run back to fill the meter with more coins!) Specific parking information will be given upon purchasing your tickets.
- What about tipping our stylist guide?
- Tipping is never mandatory, but if you loved your guide, you may consider a 15% tip.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! If you are interested in gift certificates, please click on the "Contact BiteSanDiego" link to inquire about purchasing one.
- Can I book a private group tour?
- Yes, but you’ll need to contact us directly so we can set this up. Please click on the "Contact BiteSanDiego" link on the left side of the page to inquire about a private tour.
Bite San Diego
Garb San Diego is a sister entity of Bite San Diego, the most reviewed food walking tour company in San Diego. Bite San Diego's founder is not only a food fanatic, but her closet rivals that of a fabric hoarder. She loves local designs and swoons for meticulously designed garments. As it turns out, San Diego is increasingly a mecca for fashion-minded individuals, designers, and companies. It's not the little "flip flops and t-shirts only" city it once was. Garb San Diego was born to showcase the emerging talent and commitment in making San Diego a fashion-forward city.